• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    is this true?

From what I understand, Izhmash sued Molot beginning in 2003, claiming that they owned the patent on the Kalashnikov and that Molot was producing the RPK and similar variants without a license. It was sort of sketchy if you recall the history of both companies and how they came to be, but the court agreed with Izhmash.

Molot was unable to pay 15.5 million in royalties at the time, and Izhmash took over Molot - with an agreement that Molot could directly compete with Izhmash in the future.

This, ofcourse, is not only "from the internet forums" rumors, it has likely went through thirty people after being translated to English - so consider my limited information not all that credible. :dunno:

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I haven't made a spontaneous gun purchase in quite a while, so I decided to go for it. I put in my pre-order with Atlantic this morning. I decided I wasn't going to let this opportunity to own one of these slip through my hands. I've been considering a Saiga 12 build every since I built my Saiga AK74 last winter. This will be better, IMO.

I am going to duck/goose hunt with this thing at some point.:D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It may be immature and a little stupid, but the first thing I want to do when I get one is load up a bunch of mags with slugs and find a brick wall to take down!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Well Kids it's already started and exactly like I said it would...the prices have jumped up dramatically. Atlantic and Mississippi Auto Arms still have them for 999. Tac47 however just jumped their price from $999 to $1,500. Good news for those of us that already ordered...your gun is now worth 50% more.

VEPR SHOTGUN

If you are on the fence, buy from Atlantic or MAA now before they do the same.

Also an update from SGM. Their magazines will work with the magwell of the Vepr12 however they will NOT actuate the LRBHO like the factory mags. They said that the cost to retool their machines is more than they would make on the magazines. The good news is there are a few ways to modify the mags to work with the LRBHO and you can buy the 5rd ones from CSS for $40.00...I'm sure someone will reproduce the follower from a 5rder to replace the one in an SGM mag if all else fails.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I'm tempted to order another one from Atlantic just to sit on it for a couple months and then sell it to get all or most of the cost of the first one covered.:cool:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Well Kids it's already started and exactly like I said it would...the prices have jumped up dramatically. Atlantic and Mississippi Auto Arms still have them for 999. Tac47 however just jumped their price from $999 to $1,500. Good news for those of us that already ordered...your gun is now worth 50% more.

VEPR SHOTGUN

If you are on the fence, buy from Atlantic or MAA now before they do the same.

Also an update from SGM. Their magazines will work with the magwell of the Vepr12 however they will NOT actuate the LRBHO like the factory mags. They said that the cost to retool their machines is more than they would make on the magazines. The good news is there are a few ways to modify the mags to work with the LRBHO and you can buy the 5rd ones from CSS for $40.00...I'm sure someone will reproduce the follower from a 5rder to replace the one in an SGM mag if all else fails.

Hrm... Comments from an SGM worker made it sound like they are still working on the LRBHO - is this a new development that they are not going to do so?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    They just came out with mags for the 030s that didn't actuate the LRBHO and folks were asking "what gives?". They explained that they are trying to come up with a way to actuate the LRBHO for the Veprs without metal inserts or without changing their molding. I'll try to post a link from where someone modified a standard saiga 12 mag to work in the magwell and actuate the LRBHO

FROM SGM:

We are trying our best to get our mags to work with minimal mold change so we don't have to increase our prices on those specific lrbho models. I don't think most people understand how much money is involved in the R&D, designing and fabricating a mold for magazines. One example of our cost saving (which others have used since we introduced it) is the ribs on our mags, those are there so the mold can be closed off to allow a smaller quantity magazine to be produced and that rib turns into where the floor plate slides on. If we didn't do that then we would have had to create a new mold for every quantity of magazine and at tens of thousands of dollars in mold costs our magazines would be much higher in price. Hell a crappy mold designed and made in China for something like we make is $30k and that is 1/4 of the price and quality.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    As I'm new to the AK world........What would be the best mount for a Aimpoint Micro? Do I need a raised mount like an AR or????

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Not at all. If i were to use an aimpoint micro, i'd keep the mount it comes with, and buy a Vltor tube or CAA tube and slap on a magpul ctr or similar stock. Magpul has 3 different cheek risers to get you the proper cheek weld.

vltor
    18300389_134142_full.jpg

caa
    acakc.jpg

I prefer Vltor myself.

vpo205-01_13.jpg

Note the one on the right with the Burris FF has a riser on the stock.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the info. Are there an quality side folding adapters on the market that work with the AR buffer tube?

EDIT: Never mind. Just read back and saw the Bonesteel Arms one you posted.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yes sir.

It remains to be seen what the rear of the gun will look like i.e. straight or angled, so don't go buying anything until after its in as some of this won't work.

If it's an angled cut, you can get this
    vepr1(2).jpg

Or this
    VEPRAdapter.jpg

plus this

825786.jpg

and add a buffer tube, castle nut, and whatever AR stock you want.

If it's a straight cut
    You can get this
    StampedReceiverBlock1.jpg

Plust the above folding mech and other stuff.

You can also hack off the tang and use an internal block then add the folder, buffer tube and stock.

Top Bottom