• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'd like to see you demonstrate that with a Venn diagram for me.

"If everything is nothing, then are we anything?

"Is it better to be better than to be anything?

- Einstein at the beach

Ah the old Venn diagram litmus test.

The point I was trying to make was clearly lost on everyone, which means I did a poor job stating it. I'll explain when I'm at a computer

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd like to see you demonstrate that with a Venn diagram for me

Circle2.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry Chez, a three-day bender is NOT autism! :):

Okay, now we have a good excuse when we're arrested for OWI or similar behaviors related to intoxication.

Once we exhaust it, we can then claim to have Parkinson's.

I'd like to see you demonstrate that with a Venn diagram for me.

After attempting to teach the concept of the Venn Diagram to college students who had been exposed to it multiple times since grade school, I have concluded that the set of all Venn Diagram concepts understood by the average student is the null set.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    After attempting to teach the concept of the Venn Diagram to college students who had been exposed to it multiple times since grade school, I have concluded that the set of all Venn Diagram concepts understood by the average student is the null set.

My friend, who tutored logic was telling me the troubles he had with that. He said "It's like, when you tell someone 1+1=2, and then you demonstrate it with apples, only to have the person say I don't get it........where do you go from there?"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My friend, who tutored logic was telling me the troubles he had with that. He said "It's like, when you tell someone 1+1=2, and then you demonstrate it with apples, only to have the person say I don't get it........where do you go from there?"

It can get physically painful trying to explain.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Like I said, some autistic kids are funny. I laughed at this one.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/news/n...-brings-laughs-quotamerica039s-got-talentquot

Funny Stuff, as Johnny Carson used to say.

I wouldn't have pegged Leo as autistic. He made proper eye contact with the people that talked to him, and he answered all the questions appropriately. I would think that the big audience would be easier to deal with than the one-on-one interviews. I guess PPD-NOS is not like classic autism that way.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I read an interesting book last night that spoke of the day of the announcement of the Salk Vaccine. Church bells rang across the country. Judges shut down trials for the day in order to celebrate. I was a kid back then and don't remember much about it. But, it certainly was a different America. Too bad it's gone.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I read an interesting book last night that spoke of the day of the announcement of the Salk Vaccine. Church bells rang across the country. Judges shut down trials for the day in order to celebrate. I was a kid back then and don't remember much about it. But, it certainly was a different America. Too bad it's gone.

In today's America that happens when they come out with a new Iphone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have absolutely no trouble believing that mothers who use antidepressants have an 87% increased risk of having children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why would anyone take such meds while carrying......makes no sense to me.

I have a grand daughter that is pregnant and she refuses to stop smoking.

I want to throttle her. Seriously.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Smoking is different. Depression is real and can lead to the death of mom and baby. Post-partum depression can kill them both as well. Untreated depression risk versus risk to baby. There is no perfect answer, but without compelling evidence of direct significant harm to the child you keep treating mom.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    The shots have been ruled out. Really, thay have been.
    Antidepressants are generally a bad thing for pregnacy. The warnings are out in the open.
    The idiot politician and the guy who faked the vaccine data ( yes faked as in study retracted and license gone) have done way more harm than good. Albiet not their intent.
    Sorry folks flame away. It is my field and it pains me to see people waste their money and resources on BS treatments and Jenny Mc Carthy books.
    OK back to work for me.n

Hoosire doc is right on the mark too. Although the depending on the drug......

Last edited:

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    It is about managing risk. Some of the SSRI's have been show safe in studies with pregnant women.

If the depression being treated is crippling where mom may not care for herself or developing baby or puts mom at risk, then staying on is the right decision.

Not an easy one though as we likely don't know all the risks.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

Way to start the baby out!

I had a coworker who's son's baby momma was on drugs. The docs gave her Methadone throughout the pregnancy, as withdraws would actually be worse for the baby, and they they treated the baby once it was born. I really don't care what you do with your body, but don't get pregnant and drag a poor kid into that situation.:ranton:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's depressed, then there's depressed. I have some level of knowledge regarding depression and medical treatment thereof which was a positive thing.

However, not everyone prescribed antidepressants has a medical problem. Within the spectrum of normal human emotions is depression. It need not be medically treated in most instances. However we live in a world where we want a diagnosis for every issue that is the least unpleasant.

...which is why I said that I have no problem believing that those who take antidepressants have a higher instance of diagnosed autism spectrum disorders in their children. I also would have no problem believing that this is the case even if there were no physiologic connection between the meds and the diagnosis.

Top Bottom