Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Some additional information.

Seems to be an all around dirtbag. Broken home, drugs, violent and erratic behavior, expressions of intent beforehand, known to police from multiple domestic calls. And, I'm sure, covid lockdowns and Zoom school trashed his life further. Lots of kids never came back.

Not sure about the felon comment, though. That can't be in reference to the shooter, it would be been known immediately.

Some of the same information here. Nobody seems too surprised it was him. Violent behavior, creeping on women, sending unsolicited gun pics to women.

Bullied for his "financial situation" but had the cash to pick up a DDM4, hmmm.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Apparently the shooter was confronted by an SRO. I've heard that the shooter and SRO exchanged gun fire with no one hit and then went into the school. There is some question about the exchange of gunfire. A retired cop buddy said that school administrators want "officer friendly" types for SRO's while cops with other qualities make better officers to respond to dire situations.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure about the felon comment, though. That can't be in reference to the shooter, it would be been known immediately.
    I think that was in reference to his grandfather, since he said he wouldn't have been allowed to have the guns in his house. At least that's the way I interpreted it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think that was in reference to his grandfather, since he said he wouldn't have been allowed to have the guns in his house. At least that's the way I interpreted it.
    I'm guessing so. Which would be inaccurate, the felon is simply not permitted to possess the firearm themselves. A non-felon living there can buy and own what they want, subject to possible liability if they furnish the firearm to the felon and something happens.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    it wasn't exactly clear the way it was worded but I kinda thought that too.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think another key thing the grandfather pointed out was that he didn't have a license to drive and wasn't allowed to take any vehicles, so the question is who took him to purchase the rifles the day before? How did he get there?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm guessing so. Which would be inaccurate, the felon is simply not permitted to possess the firearm themselves. A non-felon living there can buy and own what they want, subject to possible liability if they furnish the firearm to the felon and something happens.
    It's my understanding that the felon can't have access to any guns. So, guns locked in safe (by the owner of the guns) = okay, but guns just laying around unsecured is not okay.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Apparently the shooter was confronted by an SRO. I've heard that the shooter and SRO exchanged gun fire with no one hit and then went into the school. There is some question about the exchange of gunfire. A retired cop buddy said that school administrators want "officer friendly" types for SRO's while cops with other qualities make better officers to respond to dire situations.
    No guarantees in a gunfight. Having an SRO doesn't guarantee victory against a well armed and motivated suicidal attacker. Enemy gets a vote and you failing and dying in the engagement is always on the table.

The dead victims were all in one classroom. One way or another he got in, was described as "barricading" himself in the classroom, and was able to fend off responders for some period of time before CBP guy and others managed to get in and send him to hell. At some point in this process he murdered or shot what appears to be basically everyone in the classroom.

Which must have been just about the worst thing any responder has had to run into.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Grants to school districts to redesign buildings to enhance security?

More school resource officer's?
    $13B annual for ONE SRO per K12 school. Based on 100k expense.

One officer in a school will not do a lot. I think locks would help a lot, but all you have to do is look normal and say you're there to drop off lunch for your cousin and you're in

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    It's being reported now he sent out three messages about thirty minutes prior to the incident:

1. Going to shoot grandmother
    2. Shot grandmother
    3. Going to elementary school

Hard to believe someone didn't see this and make a call? You post a lost dog on Facebook and Twitter and possible sightings are there before your keypad cools.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

One officer in a school will not do a lot. I think locks would help a lot, but all you have to do is look normal and say you're there to drop off lunch for your cousin and you're in
    I would expect that they would have at least a little bit more scrutiny and stricter protocols perhaps with advance clearance involving the parents to gain entry than that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems to be an all around dirtbag. Broken home, drugs, violent and erratic behavior, expressions of intent beforehand, known to police from multiple domestic calls.

Bullied for his "financial situation" but had the cash to pick up a DDM4, hmmm.
    This is the suspicious part. Supposedly he was unemployed. Couple that with the un resolved question of how he got there to purchase the rifles the day before since he couldn't drive? Did someone help him with the money to purchase the rifles and then provided him transportation to get there?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is the suspicious part. Supposedly he was unemployed. Couple that with the un resolved question of how he got there to purchase the rifles the day before since he couldn't drive? Did someone help him with the money to purchase the rifles and then provided him transportation to get there?
    It's not impossible that a teenager with time on his hands and no supervision could scare up some money and transport. Improbable, not impossible. Could end up being a Columbine situation where the police uncover a friend or acquaintance who gets rolled for material support.

It's just the choice of rifle that bugs me. The 18-year-old move is to walk in and buy a Sport II, the "default" AR, and go murder people. Did he find a DD on the shelf at an LGS and pay cash? Credit cards? Order online for transfer? Walk it home in the cardboard box, under his arm? Did he train or shoot it at all first? Where and how?

Not impossible to explain, just odd. We may learn more about the timeline, maybe this was in planning for a long while.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It's being reported now he sent out three messages about thirty minutes prior to the incident:

1. Going to shoot grandmother
    2. Shot grandmother
    3. Going to elementary school

Hard to believe someone didn't see this and make a call? You post a lost dog on Facebook and Twitter and possible sightings are there before your keypad cools.

Thanks for posting.

I was actually a little confused on what happened. For a minute I thought he shot his nana, jumped in his truck, was chased by the police, wrecked his truck, then ran into the school to try to get away from the cops.

This makes it sound like he was going into the school from the beginning.

Reactions: Leo

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's not impossible that a teenager with time on his hands and no supervision could scare up some money and transport. Improbable, not impossible. Could end up being a Columbine situation where the police uncover a friend or acquaintance who gets rolled for material support.

It's just the choice of rifle that bugs me. The 18-year-old move is to walk in and buy a Sport II, the "default" AR, and go murder people. Did he find a DD on the shelf at an LGS and pay cash? Credit cards? Order online for transfer? Walk it home in the cardboard box, under his arm? Did he train or shoot it at all first? Where and how?

Not impossible to explain, just odd. We may learn more about the timeline, maybe this was in planning for a long while.
    All possibilities. Whatever the case may be there are still a lot of questions that remain to be answered. I'm sure they are investigating all of them to try and fill in the blanks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Locks and doors only protect kids when they are inside the school anyway.
    You had a few cases where the killer pulled the fire alarm (in was a student so he was allowed inside) and waited for the kids to get out to shoot them from a distance.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Locks and doors only protect kids when they are inside the school anyway.
    You had a few cases where the killer pulled the fire alarm (in was a student so he was allowed inside) and waited for the kids to get out to shoot them from a distance.
    Or SRO at the cafeteria and someone attacks a gym class outside

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Here is the actual interview with the grandfather. He says he was the one with a record.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom