• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Your shooting and trigger control on the classifier was fine. There were other times when you were focused on what you were doing and the results were good.

You have to be a little less critical, which is hard when you want to improve. When thing s go south for you your head is not focused on the mechanics of what you are doing. The disaster stage was a prime example. You were more focused on the shooting of each target and not missing one, and trigger control went out the window. That was a survival stage of the match. Just shoot the points, and not be worried about the time. You were trying to make up time with the trigger speed. Your problem there is that you pull the trigger really fast. Too fast many times especially for the distances some of those target were at.

It is week one of March. We have another month to get into mid season form. Relax, focus on trigger control during the shooting of a stage.

Thanks once again. I still swear I saw the sight rise and settle every shot. I'm starting to lean towards the BillD theory on this :D. I can walk a stage smooth and have a plan...close my eyes and visualize it...still tend to screw it up when I hear "beep".

I screwed the reload big time on the classifier (at least 2 seconds fumbling with it). I've been working on keeping the gun in my facebox, but for some reason I didn't there and I must not be doing it all the time. At some point last year, my brain thought it was a good idea to reload from my waist...apparently it still thinks it is a good idea.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks once again. I still swear I saw the sight rise and settle every shot. I'm starting to lean towards the BillD theory on this :D. I can walk a stage smooth and have a plan...close my eyes and visualize it...still tend to screw it up when I hear "beep".

I screwed the reload big time on the classifier (at least 2 seconds fumbling with it). I've been working on keeping the gun in my facebox, but for some reason I didn't there and I must not be doing it all the time. At some point last year, my brain thought it was a good idea to reload from my waist...apparently it still thinks it is a good idea.

It is possible to see the sight and still not be focused on it. My reload on the classifier was terrible as well. We both did most things right on that stage but not everything.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    You'll find it's not where you placed so much as who you shot against.:twocents:

Rankings are just a comparison...I shot awfully on 2 stages and pretty bad on one. I find it is more of a battle with myself than anyone else. It is nice to see where you compare to the good shooters but I always find room for improvement...the last two weeks show that I need to improve on a lot.

I have to get away from those two blow ups. Right now, you can almost count on them being stages 4 and 5 generally. Guess I better get my arse back to the gym.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks once again. I still swear I saw the sight rise and settle every shot. I'm starting to lean towards the BillD theory on this :D. quote]

Let's be clear on MY theory.;)

I know that front sight focus is one of the top things to have and along with that, calling the shot when the trigger breaks.

I just have issues with the whole "you must call every shot" stuff.

IMO, if you are calling every shot, no one has a Mike. Everyone has mikes, so ipso facto, nobody is calling every shot.

But, it's just a theory.......

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Thanks once again. I still swear I saw the sight rise and settle every shot. I'm starting to lean towards the BillD theory on this :D. quote]

Let's be clear on MY theory.;)

I know that front sight focus is one of the top things to have and along with that, calling the shot when the trigger breaks.

I just have issues with the whole "you must call every shot" stuff.

IMO, if you are calling every shot, no one has a Mike. Everyone has mikes, so ipso facto, nobody is calling every shot.

But, it's just a theory.......

I've proved it the last few weeks. :D

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Bill I think we take shots for granted when we miss and think we called the shot. Just my theory.

I know on Melody line my first six shots were clean, I know they were, reload was smooth....second set of six shots, I dropped #3, knew it and it screwed up #4 cause I lost focus.

I knew without a doubt that I put that shot way way low and had the mike in the black. I also put too much pressure on myself to make sure I did that string to the best of my ability and just messed it all up.

The rest of the stages I had a plan, stuck to the plan, and had fun and didn't do bad. Yes I was slow but I was trying not to rush.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You shot with good rhythm Matt, not trying to get in too big a hurry.

I'll have some video of you guys on Melody Line and "Jake" this evening.

owencramer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    I missed the magwell then dropped the gun to my waist...I keep reliving that.

you need to stop thinking about what you're doing wrong. If you keep running over the mistakes in your mind, you're greasing the wrong groove.

Instead of visualizing what you did wrong, change the story, and visualize yourself doing the same stage correctly, without your mistakes.

If the thought in your head is "don't miss," you're going to miss. If the thought in your head is "don't lose to Hickman" you will.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    OK guys here is the Executive Decision-----South Central Gun Club Matches will start at 11am. Sign in starts at 10am.and ends at 10:45am, with shooters meeting at 10:45am. So spread the word. Setup starts at 7:30am. All help appreciated and the match will not start until all stages are set and debugged. This will start with the April match. We have got to get some new blood flowing in the club so things don't happen again like they did at the last match. Once again thanks to all for the input and help. If anyone has any ideas on stage design or something you would like to see at SCGC let me know. Max

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK guys here is the Executive Decision-----South Central Gun Club Matches will start at 11am. Sign in starts at 10am.and ends at 10:45am, with shooters meeting at 10:45am. So spread the word. Setup starts at 7:30am. All help appreciated and the match will not start until all stages are set and debugged. This will start with the April match. We have got to get some new blood flowing in the club so things don't happen again like they did at the last match. Once again thanks to all for the input and help. If anyone has any ideas on stage design or something you would like to see at SCGC let me know. Max

Sounds Great Max!!

Top Bottom