• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Isn't it true that Kent was working within barrier isolation in Africa?

I saw part of a piece about this exact question on FOX and they were stating that the precautions used in Africa do not even compare to the level we consider safe here in the states. I have no idea if this is true but it would not surprise me.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually you do not know this to be the case. Ebola is not thought to have acquired the ability to transmit through airborne means, only by bodily fluids. Yet this doctor knew that and one would assume had practiced safety regimes to make that nearly impossible to happen.

However, viruses mutate rapidly and gain abilities to cause infections including making the leap to airborne transmission. For all we know Brantley is one of the first to acquire a readily transmissible form of ebola which is truly frightening. we may now have whole medical teams in one of the biggest cities in America waiting to break out with a airborne form of ebola.

Typhoid Mary would have nothing on Dr. Brantley.

Ebola was first discovered in 1976 and the virus has changes very little since then.

Lots of alarmists...it's really not a big deal they brought one of our fellow citizens back home.

7 facts you should know about the Ebola outbreak - Vox

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    We, as a country, can move entire armies WITH first class hospitals all around the world within days, why risk bringing it here when CDC or USAMRIID can drop a hospital, and virology lab anywhere in the world?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While I don't hold the opinion of TriggerTime and his cohorts and I am a bit familiar with the CDC and its preparations for dealing with contagion, I'll also admit to being nervous about knowingly bringing the disease to this country for "study;" it brings to mind too many horror thrillers drenched in gory and painful deaths for hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians. I'm also nervous about the surety expressed by some of you that this virus hasn't/won't mutate to an airborne strain and get loose while it's under "study."

Of course, if we REALLY want to get paranoid, we already know that illegals have once again introduced a number of diseases - like tuberculosis - which had been eradicated in the US, and there are no special precautions being taken in their processing and release into our country. THAT ought to scare us all spitless.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    While I don't hold the opinion of TriggerTime and his cohorts and I am a bit familiar with the CDC and its preparations for dealing with contagion, I'll also admit to being nervous about knowingly bringing the disease to this country for "study;" it brings to mind too many horror thrillers drenched in gory and painful deaths for hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians. I'm also nervous about the surety expressed by some of you that this virus hasn't/won't mutate to an airborne strain and get loose while it's under "study."

Of course, if we REALLY want to get paranoid, we already know that illegals have once again introduced a number of diseases - like tuberculosis - which had been eradicated in the US, and there are no special precautions being taken in their processing and release into our country. THAT ought to scare us all spitless.

Your take on the matter is influenced by horror thrillers?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Going to take this in a different direction. I sure hope the security at Emory is top notch. Here they are transporting this guy with news helicopters flying overhead. Guess who is watching on the other side of the world

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Going to take this in a different direction. I sure hope the security at Emory is top notch. Here they are transporting this guy with news helicopters flying overhead. Guess who is watching on the other side of the world

It's not a secret where the natural reservoirs are. They could snatch it there or steal someone from Africa. MUCH easier than the US

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I didn't give this thread much notice but decided to take a gander and am honestly shocked at the apparent panic of a minimal risk.

The fact is these two (2) individuals are known to have the disease. The disease, if contracted, is really bad. This will lead to everyone dealing with them and their environment to use maximum precautions.

The disease while highly lethal is NOT currently highly contagious. As others have said it is spread through bodily contact only. Eventually it will probably mutate to an airborne pathogen but the statistical probability of that occurring from either one of these two (2) people is extremely low. It is not something I am going to loose sleep over.

I don't consider these two (2) elevated to sainthood (through my ignorance of the totality of them personally), but I do believe in those who, knowing the risks, endanger themselves to help others to be really, really good people. The kind of people we do not intentionally turn our backs on.

Would people be just as concerned about the military sneaking in contaminated blood to use in bioweapons research? Would the call for Majors, Colonels and Generals heads to be on the chopping block be equally loud and vociferous? I think not because, after all, the Chinese and Ruskies are doing it too so we NEED to do it as well. We each justify our believe patterns based upon a comfort level with risk.

I do hope that this major outbreak moves the world medical and pharmaceutical industry to push for a cure because someday the potential mutation to an airborne pathogen would have catastrophic consequences! We would definitely, 100% be infected. There are only about four (4) countries in the entire world that could shut down their borders with enough protection to keep a worldwide pandemic out: Australia, New Zealand, Iceland and Greenland. The rest of us are simply too big or the other island countries like Japan and England are too close to the mainland.

I wish these two people along with ALL the other infected souls and their families the Grace that God can give, the luck that Fate and random chance may provide, and the knowledge and insight that science can muster to help each as each needs.

Regards,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    HEre's a gem I received from my FB project. This lady has issues. Several more hateful messages were sent after I banned her from the page and explained there are other venues for her concerns about him coming to the US, that the page was only for support.

why don't you give the doctor a big hug and kiss. then you can go home and hope you do not get the ebola virus.
    Again I will say anything I please do not even think about trying to sue me i do not have anything. I live in a very small place and I have not had anything to eat in two weeks.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

I'm more worried about the Russians, who have a viable ebola-smallpox chimaera with 100% mortality that they developed in secret and have weaponized and almost certainly loaded into MIRVs in ICBM warheads targeted at the skies above our heads. That worries me.

Two people with a natural strain of Ebola zaire under almost biosafety-level-4 isolation, their care overseen by the CDC? Not at all concerned as there is no reason to be.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm more worried about the Russians, who have a viable ebola-smallpox chimaera with 100% mortality that they developed in secret and have weaponized and almost certainly loaded into MIRVs in ICBM warheads targeted at the skies above our heads. That worries me.

Two people with a natural strain of Ebola zaire under almost biosafety-level-4 isolation, their care overseen by the CDC? Not at all concerned as there is no reason to be.

To HeadlessRoland (et alia),

That would be of much greater concern, I agree! After all, we no longer have Charlton Heston to save us from the Family or provide a viable cure from his own blood.

In all seriousness though, I would be more concerned if the disease brought in had the lethality of Ebola and the contagion rate of Influenza! That would be, admittedly, a different monster entirely.

Regards,

Doug

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Did it occur to anyone that CDC might have something to gain by treating these two people? When do you know the government to act totally out of altruism? Why is it the same people who are so skeptical of any government action now believes the CDC is just acting out of the goodness of their heart? Just think how much money Uncle Sam stands to make with an effective ebola drug. Also, think about the tactical uses of ebola. Maybe some of our people are interested in that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    da Bing, the .gov doesn't get to make $$$ on an Ebola drug. The target market can't even get enough calories to survive some months. There is no revenue source for it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    da Bing, the .gov doesn't get to make $$$ on an Ebola drug. The target market can't even get enough calories to survive some months. There is no revenue source for it.

One thing our government DOES have to gain, is experience in treating ebola on our soil, our setup. While they are pretty darn sure that they can do it - once this happens, they will have staff that have been there done that and got the t-shirt. for real. Something to be said for that...

I do hope that CDC knows what it is about, and that all goes well for those being treated. I wish them nothing but the best.

Last edited:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I would love to know how much they had to pay the pilots to fly his ass back here? Can you imagine if they would have had an explosive decompression in flight, that would have destroyed his isolated air supply? This was totally insane when one considers how many things could go wrong.........AND STILL COULD! Why couldn't they have sent whomever was going to treat him, (along with whatever else is required), there instead? As educated as most doctors are, one cannot say the same about the common sense they possess. If they possess any.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    One thing our government DOES have to gain, is experience in treating ebola on our soil, our setup. While they are pretty darn sure that they can do it - one this happens, they will have staff that have been there done that an got the t-shirt.

Just remember, this is the same government who thought they could properly manage the health care system in this country. What does that tee shirt say?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would love to know how much they had to pay the pilots to fly his ass back here? Can you imagine if they would have had an explosive decompression in flight, that would have destroyed his isolated air supply? This was totally insane when one considers how many things could go wrong.........AND STILL COULD! Why couldn't they have sent whomever was going to treat him, (along with whatever else is required), there instead? As educated as most doctors are, one cannot say the same about the common sense they possess. If they possess any.
    Wow, I know doctors who have quite a bit of common sense. There are MILLIONS of highly educated persons around the world who ALSO have common sense.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I believe his evacuation was paid for by Samaritan's Purse, the aid agency he was working with, but I can't swear to it.

as for docs with common sense, we're just like plumbers. All have some common sense but we are human and sometimes overlook things or let our guard down. Humans are human no matter how long we stay in school.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom