• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Except that he didn't go to play, but rather to treat them. The people there don't have the luxury of hiding behind an ocean from this disease, as the initial transmission stages from the environment are located near them. This man is no different from many doctors who have suffered or died helping their patients, but I'll be darned if he isn't the first I've seen being reviled for his bravery in doing so.
    I don't believe anyone here is doing that. They do, however, revile the conceited idiots who decided to bring the man back HERE carrying a deadly contagion for which we have no cure.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Those who would never risk anything (including their lives) to save another human being should never be expected to understand the actions of those that would. Compassion eludes their darkened hearts and they understand little beyond their own self-preservation. They are to be pitied. These two American aid workers understand the value of human life. They understand human suffering. They understand this because they know the value that God places on the individual. They answered a call to serve others in need that God placed on their lives (their own words). The fact that they answered a call to help total strangers an ocean away only magnifies the power of God to transform people. A 'normal' person would only think of preserving their own health from the relative safety of home.

I don't know how it will all end but I will say that I am only slightly surprised at some of the sentiments expressed here. It's very illuminating.

As a side note ... Ebola does not have a 100% mortality rate as some here seem to believe. In outbreaks with more than 100 cases it has been as low as 34% and as high as 90%. People survive. That is why these two Americans are being brought here. To give them the best chance of surviving.
    I've risked my life for others more than once, and would do it again. Don't turn this into some kind of sacrificial lamb event. It's not. It's a reckless tragedy at best. There's always some cause for bleeding hearts to get behind. You can't save the world. I'd nuke that whole area where the outbreak is to save our country from a outbreak.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...as high as 90%...

Though, it appears a death toll "as low as 34%" is considered 'acceptable' to some. :facepalm:

This is a disease that was unknown in the U.S. UNTIL these two brought it here.

IF "These two American aid workers understand the value of human life" as claimed, then they would NOT have allowed themselves to be brought to the U.S. and potentially endanger other 'fellow' Americans to a disease for which there is (as yet) NO known cure and which kills at a rate "as high as 90%". So, either they do NOT "understand the value of human life" OR chose to ignore "the value of human life" of their fellow Americans. Can't have it both ways, sorry.

BTW, Brantly was ambulatory, under his own power, which demonstrates that his condition was not 'so desperate' that he needed to be rushed back to the U.S. Meaning they could have well been treated in Liberia, where they are already knowledgeable in treating the disease. A stone-cold 'tactic' of the Liar-In-Chiefs Administration, the Liar-In-Chief being now well-known for his disdain and disregard for Americans. THIS stunt is simply further evidence.

Further, Brantly and Writebol are the two (or two of) the world's leading experts on Ebola. Therefore they KNEW the endangerment they were potentially creating coming back to the U.S.

And yet, came anyway. So it would be evident that both Brantly and Writebol "would only think of preserving their own health" rather than being "compassionate". So much for "They understand human suffering" when they, in fact, are risking creating exactly that among their fellow U.S. citizens. :ugh:

As to the 'argument' that there's little risk, the response is the same. If there's such 'little risk' then why couldn't they be treated at the SAME facility which they treated OTHER Ebola victims? WHY bring them here if they were 'so successful' in Liberia? OR, perhaps they weren't 'so successful', which simply proves that bringing Brantly and Writebol back to the U.S. is an even worse idea.

"Compassion eludes their darkened hearts"? Really? :rolleyes: Plenty of real compassion in this thread, and it comes ONLY from those that are compassionate enough to challenge the sanity in bringing Brantly and Writebol to the United States, infected with Ebola. Compassion for fellow Americans; for friends, neighbors, and loved ones that now, because of the stupidity displayed in recklessly bringing these two back to the States, face a quite real, lethal disease heretofore unknown here.

The ones who are truly "to be pitied" are those who lack understanding that the risk isn't only to themselves, but to others they care about, as well. Showing no concern for the safety and well-being of others whom one 'claims' they care about isn't 'pitiful', it's pathetic.

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    These brave Americans will be and have been totally isolated. No other country in the world has the capability to deal with diseases like this like America. Where they will be staying has been designed in conjunction with the CDC to handle infectious exotic diseases. Anyone who says with their false bravado that they would let these people die in Liberia - where there is barely bleach to disinfect gloves, anyone who says they would nuke entire cities from orbit, anyone panicking about two people flying in on state-of-the-art isolative wards and kept under care in negative-pressure almost-biosafety-level-4 isolation wards designed and constructed for this explicit purpose - congratulations: you are the monsters decent society fears; you are the silent audience and witnesses to evil; you are the reason I prepare against evil.

When you blindly panic and start talking about letting good people die when we have the technical ability to save them, or actively wiping out entire populations because there's fear about minuscule possibilities and thereby claim the moral right to slaughter people in the pre-emptive name of some nebulous greater good which somehow supposedly grants you the moral authority to ride roughshod over the individual, you sound less like my countrymen, more like despots; less like fellow Hoosiers, more like Soviets; less like upright Americans, more like tyrants; less like Jesus of Nazareth, and more like Josef Stalin and Pol Pot and Heinrich Himmler - all of which is supremely frightening and disappointing to someone who expects a certain minimum of civility and respect for human life and the individual in the sole country in the face of this planet that was created explicitly to champion the individual over the collective, the minority over the majority, and liberty over tyranny.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A few things here...

Support Dr. Kent Brantly
    http://www.facebook.com/supportkent

two sites I put together.

guess what happens if there are no treatment centers and doctors for the Ebola patients? They wander around their community and an outbreak becomes a pandemic at your front door.

Ebola virus does not have wings. It does not fly from person to person. He is in proper barrier isolation.

Ebola is something I am terrified of from a bio warfare standpoint. Bringing him here allows CDC to use him for research as well as help treat him. We need a vaccine. We need a treatment.

He's a saint and a hero. TriggerTime, you trashed him for going to "play" with Ebola patients. Do you say the same of fire fighters injured on the job? He was already in Africa doing mission work and relocated there when this became an issue. There are those who run away from disasters, and those who run to help. Your irrational fear makes it OK to "nuke" the region and kill tens of thousands to protect your country? Abosulte garbage.

The area he is now in was designed by the CDC to quarantine and treat their employees who get sick from terrible pathogens they study. This is one of four facilities in the nation that are designed like that.

Bottom line: bring him home, use him to help develop a vaccine or treatment, and think before you speak on an Internet forum.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't believe anyone here is doing that. They do, however, revile the conceited idiots who decided to bring the man back HERE carrying a deadly contagion for which we have no cure.

Sure sounds a lot like HIV. Can you believe those conceited jerks are allowed to walk around our streets? :runaway:

America to remove HIV visa ban after Briton's protest | World news | The Observer

AIDS 2012 Visa and Travel Information

From UpToDate (a medical publication)

Aerosolized filoviruses are highly infectious for laboratory animals, and have been spread accidentally to health care workers through aerosols generated during medical procedures (see below). However, epidemiologic studies have shown that these agents rarely, if ever, spread from person to person by the respiratory route.

Similarly, when a patient with unrecognized Ebola hemorrhagic fever was treated in a South African hospital in 1998, only one person became infected among 300 potentially exposed health care workers [50,51].

This was one person, in South African hospital, out of 300 exposed to a NON-RECOGNIZED ebola patient.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Have we lost our minds!!!!

no, but you have.

Per the article this marks the 1st time someone with Ebola is believed to have been brought into the country for treatment.
    A 2nd American will **ALSO** with Ebola is also coming.
    WTF!!!!

This guy gets it, shame you don't

"We've got the best facilities in the world to deal with this stuff," said Kevin Whalen, who lives in Decatur, Ga., and has no connection to Emory or the CDC. "With the resources we can throw at it, it's the best chance this guy has for survival. And it's probably also the best chance to develop treatments and cures and stuff that we can take back overseas so that it doesn't come back here."

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    no, but you have.

This guy gets it, shame you don't

Even the best safety protocols can fail. People won't trust the government with cleaning a cat's litter box but they will trust the government to keep a disease with no known cure contained. Where's the logic there?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Even the best safety protocols can fail. People won't trust the government with cleaning a cat's litter box but they will trust the government to keep a disease with no known cure contained. Where's the logic there?

Yes, everything can fail, nothing is perfect. And yet the world still turns.

"The government" as an entity making mistakes is different than professionals facing potential contamination with an incurable disease. If we only did things that had zero risk our population would be zero in a generation (no sex)

He has been ill for over a week. The fact that he's walking in his second week is a great prognostic sign for him surviving. This is pure speculation, but I suspect his symptoms are improving or at least stable and they feel he can survive if given full support. If he was bleeding out from hemorrhagic shock they would not have transported him.

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Yes, everything can fail, nothing is perfect. And yet the world still turns.

"The government" as an entity making mistakes is different than professionals facing potential contamination with an incurable disease. If we only did things that had zero risk our population would be zero in a generation (no sex)

He has been ill for over a week. The fact that he's walking in his second week is a great prognostic sign for him surviving. This is pure speculation, but I suspect his symptoms are improving or at least stable and they feel he can survive if given full support. If he was bleeding out from hemorrhagic shock they would not have transported him.

Who do you think you are? Some kinda doctor?

:n00b:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Some of you guys live in La la land. You believe that greater good bs. The guy is no hero. Sorry not a hero at all.

Was Mother Teresa? Just wondering what your cutoff for hero status is.

definition of hero:
    a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Do you agree with that definition? I admire him for his courage to go into that hellhole and treat those with this awful illness. Seems rather outstanding and noble.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Was Mother Teresa? Just wondering what your cutoff for hero status is.

definition of hero:

Do you agree with that definition? I admire him for his courage to go into that hellhole and treat those with this awful illness. Seems rather outstanding and noble.

You first have to believe that those he was helping were human beings.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some of you guys live in La la land. You believe that greater good bs. The guy is no hero. Sorry not a hero at all.

I understand your fear, but what makes someone a hero? I don't see where anyone called him a hero, but I may have missed it. You said you have put your life on the line for others; who exactly? Are you a hero? If someone in your unit (assuming yours was military service) were to have contracted this disease while performing his duty, what would you want to happen with him? Like most, I believe you are fearful of what you don't understand, so the obvious response is to "turn the place into glass!"

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom