• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't see where anyone called him a hero, but I may have missed it.

I said "He's a saint and a hero". I admit there was no official papal declaration making him a saint, but I still stand by my statement. :)

Maybe he's not a hero for you Trigger Time, but for this doc who has only done a few mission trips and not to places where I considered my life in danger, he's a hero.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I said "He's a saint and a hero". I admit there was no official papal declaration making him a saint, but I still stand by my statement. :)

Maybe he's not a hero for you Trigger Time, but for this doc who has only done a few mission trips and not to places where I considered my life in danger, he's a hero.
    "No greater love is there than this, than he who lays down his life for his friend" said he-who-must-not-be-named-around-here. (and no I don't mean voldemort)

This doc is a badass and if the CDC thinks they can bring him home safely, I've got no problem with it.

Doing the right thing isn't always doing the safest/most-ass-covering thing; in fact it is usually the opposite.

Ebola kills a very small number of people historically because it isn't very communicable, especially without a fruit bat reservoir. It is weaponization that scares me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Trigger, please understand Kent is a true believer. He became a physician to do exactly this--to go and help those who others refused to help.

I hope CDC knows what it is doing.

I'm thankful there are people like this in the world. There's a part of me that questions the wisdom of bringing the disease into our country--I hope the folks in charge know what they're doing.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Yeah destro called him a hero too. Your free to have your own opinions and get behind whatever cause you wish. I'm just saying don't ask me for pitty when you get hurt or die as a result. I have pitty for the mans family.
    my uncle (a surgeon) has made many trips to Africa for volunteer work. I've called him crazy each time and didn't visit him for a while after each return to make sure I didn't catch anything.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can see both sides of the argument. And my personal feelings are mixed. He may be "noble" to others, but why not stay in country and help out our brothers and sisters that have given everything for this country; that have been completely **** on by our government and Veterans Affairs? To me that is a much more noble cause. He wanted to do good then do good here.

I agree he has a better chance of survival here, but question the wisdom of bringing a disease that is not here regardless of how safe the location may be. "If" the disease were to get out of control would you rather isolate/quarantine a city over seas or in your home town? Would those that say "compassion" be singing the same tune if their child or spouse contracted Ebola? I sure wouldn't.
    Human error is inevitable given enough time. The faster this is over the better I will feel.

Bottom line:
    Get him/them better...
    Find a cure/vaccine...
    If things turn for the worst.....my mentality is "family first".

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not particularly concerned about bringing the docs back unless we are bringing fruit bats back too...

But they're so cute! Just like chihuahua's with wings!

tumblr_mj7kyh8L8B1rpjg4ro1_500.jpg

fruitbat.JPG

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Yeah destro called him a hero too. Your free to have your own opinions and get behind whatever cause you wish. I'm just saying don't ask me for pitty when you get hurt or die as a result. I have pitty for the mans family.
    my uncle (a surgeon) has made many trips to Africa for volunteer work. I've called him crazy each time and didn't visit him for a while after each return to make sure I didn't catch anything.

I didn't call him a hero. And I doubt the families would want your brand of pity.

Firemen know they can die in a fire,
    Policemen can die by gunfire,
    Soldiers can die in war,
    Each does so knowing the risks, and the few tangable rewards they come with. They do it because of the desire to help others and be part of something bigger than themselves. The good DR's example of selfless service to his fellow man has EARNED him the best treatment we can possibly offer him.

Knowing the risks to themselves, loved ones, and the general public, im sure all those involved in the treatment team will take all precautions required.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have no problem with the doctor taking calculated risks which he understands. People like that are how diseases get studied and improved. The question is about the wisdom of bringing it back here with him. He chose to take that calculated professional risk. The rest of us did not.

There is a well-practiced pattern of people like Missonaries, Doctors, Reporters, Peace Corps volunteers, etc., etc., etc., "doing what God put in their heart," (insert your favorite Bible verse here >>>>_____<<<<<), getting themselves in over their heads - and then when "God" can't help them out, it falls to other people to risk themselves to save their azzes.

It's like a child who does irresponsible things and then expects someone else to get them out of it. I think it's perfectly sane for reasonable people to be concerned about some kind of mishap endangering millions of people here in the U.S., when we're dealing with something this dangerous.

You likely can't study Ebola effectively without someone going to the place where Ebola is. The question at issue here, again, is to what extent those risk-takers get to involve the rest of us in their social program. I think we need to be telling people like this, if you choose to take this kind of risk, and something goes wrong, expect to cool your heels someplace like Guantanamo until we're sure you can't endanger the U.S. population.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    While I have mixed feelings about the matter, it would be difficult for Ebola to spread here in the states. It spreads through contact with bodily fluids, and we are a nation of compulsive hand washers. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it would really take a lot for it to spread here. The reason why it spreads so bad in Africa is because of lack of education of the disease. A lot of people there don't know how it spreads, and that's a huge reason why it does. We know how it spreads, we know what precautions to take. I am not as worried as some of you are, but I can understand why anyone wouldn't want this illness on US soil.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Sounds like what soldiers returning from Vietnam went through.

We have more diseases and viruses being tested in various facilities in the States than we could imagine. Our very own government has been proven guilty of testing some on its' very own people. Who knows how many we are testing on foreign soil. But, I'm sure this notion seems too far fetched to believe.

I really do not believe your pity is being sought out. I'm just glad whomever made the decision to bring them back, had mercy.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    A few things here...

Ebola virus does not have wings. It does not fly from person to person. He is in proper barrier isolation.

Actually you do not know this to be the case. Ebola is not thought to have acquired the ability to transmit through airborne means, only by bodily fluids. Yet this doctor knew that and one would assume had practiced safety regimes to make that nearly impossible to happen.

However, viruses mutate rapidly and gain abilities to cause infections including making the leap to airborne transmission. For all we know Brantley is one of the first to acquire a readily transmissible form of ebola which is truly frightening. we may now have whole medical teams in one of the biggest cities in America waiting to break out with a airborne form of ebola.

Typhoid Mary would have nothing on Dr. Brantley.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Except this virus has been around for decades... There are only five strains. Not much of a mutator. You can get it from rubbing against someone's sweat. People do not walk into the clinic and say "I have Ebola". Who knows how he got it. Could have been from one of the other workers who got sick and no one knew it.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom