• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Aren't they based in another state? Is it possible that other state has more restrictive laws concerning possession of NFA items, and they are trying to cover their asses?

I'm totally spitballing here...it would still make sense to at least make customers aware of this policy.

The whole think makes very little sense to me, it seems like it is only going to drive the most educated and enthusiastic gun owners away from their business.

I guess they can afford to **** away a customer like VUPDBlue, and everyone he talks to...

Yeah, this would make sense. If they had established policies based on home state requirements (or maybe some sort of "least common denominator" requirements), I could see them just sticking to "what works" as they expand to other locales.

Not asking does not create liability. There is no positive requirement to ask someone for the stamp to use a range.

Asking for it may reduce or deflect future potential liability.

Plus, there may be a deterrent effect. If someone is thinking of using an ill-gotten NFA item at the range, and finds out the range is going to ask for the stamp, they may go someplace else. Granted, this is a negligible concern, but the chances are a small, but non-zero, number, so it might be worthwhile to have the policy. From the range owner's perspective.

Again, this is just how I see it.

If deterrence of "illegal" weapons is the goal, it would seem to be a more effective policy to notify all customers they're going to check and they reserve the right to inspect all weapons for legality and/or safety before even entering the facility.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, I think this says it all .....

[h=1]Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?[/h] Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.
    [26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well, glad I have my backyard. Next time come out here.
    Continually amazed at the rigmarole one must go through to shoot on public ranges, especially indoor ranges. You'd think the nfa restriction would rank right up there with caliber restrictions, ammo types, etc... and have been posted all along. Although, the fact they have an RO is a bonus IMO.
    Policy sorta sucks and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sucks to be them.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.
    Yes, it says the RO has no right to view the tax docs. He can ask, but VUPDBlue has every right to say no and leave. That is, unless Point Blank is hiring ATF agents as ROs.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well at least y'all have other options to choose from down that way. I wish we had enough choices up in the N/W corner of the state to be able to pick and choose which ranges to patronize or not. Slim pick'ns up this way.

That being said I would've been ticked off too in that situation and made the choice to take my future business elsewhere.

Exactly. We have two indoor ranges in NW IN. One that is halfway decent but does not allow drawing from a holster, and one where they pretty much allow anything and the shooting style of preference is this:

[video=youtube;3a5Qth5BPRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5Qth5BPRk[/video]

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Exactly. We have two indoor ranges in NW IN. One that is halfway decent but does not allow drawing from a holster, and one where they pretty much allow anything and the shooting style of preference is this:

[video=youtube;3a5Qth5BPRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5Qth5BPRk[/video]
    I've never shot like that. I wonder how terrible the results would be.

Top Bottom