• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This thread has been an interesting read, and it sucks that it even happened VUPD.
    In the op, it first appeared that maybe the range officer was just being a douche. Then we learned that the manager was also. Now that you've had a conversation with a very pleasant guy from corporate, we've formally had the rules changed. At least they've told us Hoosiers how it's gonna be, and we can decide for ourselves what we think of it.

Glad you got it resolved. I hear Beech Grove will be open in the spring.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    All I can say is good God. Glad it all got worked out. You guys sure taught them a lesson and we'll all be better off for it. Hats off!! Now all the internet certified law experts can stand down, take a deep breath, and help find that guys wallet.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @VUPD

At any point during this incident, did you feel the presence of the Boner Drone? Please, be honest. INGO needs to know.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ****EDITED WITH UPDATES******** https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ence-point-blank-greenwood-5.html#post6296699

I took the boy to Point Blank today for some trigger time. I have been there on my own twice now and think it is one of the nicest indoor ranges I have ever been to.

I have been needing to get my Scorpion SBR on the range since changing trigger springs so I brought that and my M&P for myself to shoot and brought the P22 with can for the boy as well as his Savage .22.

We had been shooting for about 10 minutes and the boy was behind the trigger of the P22 when the RO came over and asked if I had a stamp for the can. I said that I certainly do, and that I had stamps for the other can as well as the Scorpion it was on. He said that I needed to show it to him. I asked why. He said because I am required to show it if asked. I told him that legally, the only persons I am required to show are ATF agents. He told me that if I didn't show him and continued to shoot then he would call the police. .

according to "the ingo lawyer policy"(every one on ingos a lawyer lol) that's where the conversation should have ended, you would have said "go ahead, the numbers 911" and continue to shoot till "johnny law" showed up.

the funny part would have been when the police office showed up, and said "hi vupdblue"(sorry I don't know your real name) and asked YOU what the law was!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got a phone call from their regional manager just now. He apologized for this situation and wanted to make it right. He went on to explain that their policy is to inspect the stamps for NFA items to allow them on the range, and he admitted that it was not posted anywhere. I was told that the website has been updated to reflect this policy and that signs for all their locations have been ordered. The gentleman also profusely apologized for the RO threatening me with calling the police and assured that it would be brought to his attention as well as the attention of the store manager. I was offered free range passes for my trouble, which I declined. I told the man that I was appreciative that he was making it right and that's all I really wanted.

I still do not agree with the policy but I am grown up enough to be able to decide if that will keep me from using their range or not.

The manager guy I spoke with was a class act. :yesway:

Good response but still.......as you say, we are all grown men here.
    Choose to follow the house rules or attend another house.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got a phone call from their regional manager just now. He apologized for this situation and wanted to make it right. He went on to explain that their policy is to inspect the stamps for NFA items to allow them on the range, and he admitted that it was not posted anywhere. I was told that the website has been updated to reflect this policy and that signs for all their locations have been ordered. The gentleman also profusely apologized for the RO threatening me with calling the police and assured that it would be brought to his attention as well as the attention of the store manager. I was offered free range passes for my trouble, which I declined. I told the man that I was appreciative that he was making it right and that's all I really wanted.

I still do not agree with the policy but I am grown up enough to be able to decide if that will keep me from using their range or not.

The manager guy I spoke with was a class act. :yesway:

Wonder why they still want to inspect the stamps though? Somebody asked up thread is if were there some sort of legal jeopardy the business puts themselves in by allowing somebody to use their NFA regulated items if they are not properly licensed. It can't be a safety issue because a stamp doesn't guarantee a SBR or SBS is properly constructed and a silencer would tend to enhance hearing safety. Must be something else.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wonder why they still want to inspect the stamps though? Somebody asked up thread is if were there some sort of legal jeopardy the business puts themselves in by allowing somebody to use their NFA regulated items if they are not properly licensed. It can't be a safety issue because a stamp doesn't guarantee a SBR or SBS is properly constructed and a silencer would tend to enhance hearing safety. Must be something else.

Aren't they based in another state? Is it possible that other state has more restrictive laws concerning possession of NFA items, and they are trying to cover their asses?

I'm totally spitballing here...it would still make sense to at least make customers aware of this policy.

The whole think makes very little sense to me, it seems like it is only going to drive the most educated and enthusiastic gun owners away from their business.

I guess they can afford to **** away a customer like VUPDBlue, and everyone he talks to...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Somebody asked up thread is if were there some sort of legal jeopardy the business puts themselves in by allowing somebody to use their NFA regulated items if they are not properly licensed.
    Not asking does not create liability. There is no positive requirement to ask someone for the stamp to use a range.

Asking for it may reduce or deflect future potential liability.

Plus, there may be a deterrent effect. If someone is thinking of using an ill-gotten NFA item at the range, and finds out the range is going to ask for the stamp, they may go someplace else. Granted, this is a negligible concern, but the chances are a small, but non-zero, number, so it might be worthwhile to have the policy. From the range owner's perspective.

Again, this is just how I see it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Aren't they based in another state? Is it possible that other state has more restrictive laws concerning possession of NFA items, and they are trying to cover their asses?

I'm totally spitballing here...it would still make sense to at least make customers aware of this policy.

The whole think makes very little sense to me, it seems like it is only going to drive the most educated and enthusiastic gun owners away from their business.

I guess they can afford to **** away a customer like VUPDBlue, and everyone he talks to...

...All 50 of us. :):

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Which one, Western Hills or Blue Ash?

I used to shoot at the one in Blue Ash all the time, and never had any problems. I always thought they were great there. I never made it to the newer one, in Western Hills.

Blue Ash. Was helping out a lady who was unfamiliar but willing to learn about guns. Not busy, but dufus behind the counter and his manager were very rude when she asked very innocent but intelligent questions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    according to "the ingo lawyer policy"(every one on ingos a lawyer lol) that's where the conversation should have ended, you would have said "go ahead, the numbers 911" and continue to shoot till "johnny law" showed up.

the funny part would have been when the police office showed up, and said "hi vupdblue"(sorry I don't know your real name) and asked YOU what the law was!

Wait. Is there a certificate? I didn't get my certificate.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Blue Ash. Was helping out a lady who was unfamiliar but willing to learn about guns. Not busy, but dufus behind the counter and his manager were very rude when she asked very innocent but intelligent questions.

That's disappointing. I haven't been there in a couple years; maybe their employees have changed.

Top Bottom