• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Cops actively patrol the stretch of I70 near the Mount Comfort exit during the air show and prevent drivers from pulling over to watch the planes. I didn't see you or anyone else *****ing and moaning about that. Stopping on the roadway or shoulder is not permitted any other time so why should it be now? It sucks that the monuments are closed but it ain't the cops fault.

When you learn the difference between your air show and what is really happening then get back to us for a more productive thread.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Its so funny that the govt thinks we need govt to allow the people to visit their own monuments, parks, memorials, Ect. This truly is Obama trying to use this to punish the American people.
    i hope the republicans hold out until this fool breaks or is impeached.
    not that I think the republicans are the savior a of the republic by any means, but at least someone is standing against the Kenyan imposter in chief.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP OCT 17 is the date you want to keep an eye out for.
    If we get to OCT 17, 2013 and we reach out debt limit the default of our debt is nothing to worry about.
    Sure other countries may be pissed off at us and so what! What are they going to do? Attack us? Meh...

The biggest worry is our own people. After OCT 17, 2013 the US has no money in it's 'bank account' that means SSA and Welfare checks will have no funds which means there will be no e-deposits to those that get them. Just imagine all the SSA beneficiaries not getting their next check along with all the welfare people as well.

The LA riots will look like child's play compared to what will happen in urban areas around the nation. Old folks are not going to stand still either. I can already see the lines and lines of old folks with their WWII rifles taking over DC and demanding their money.

That is what I really fear as society will break down once all those that live off the .gov don't get their money no more.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The cones are (were) blocking designated areas to safely pull off the road and view the monument. This has nothing to do with "safety" and preventing people from pulling onto the shoulder. I have been there recently and this picture clearly shows a scenic turn off where one can safely exit the road and park to view the "scenic"

I think the NPS, and thus the Obama Admin, have taken a few steps back on just how JBT they wanted the NPS rangers to be. They originally blocked off the Newfound Gap parking area in the Great Smoky Mtns. NP, and many others. I read a handful of accounts about the same thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm now reading that scenic pull-offs are now open in GSMNP, and likely other places. Obama overstepped with his orders to the NPS, or the current NPS supervisor throw a hissy fit and went too far. I've now read that while rangers aren't allowing vehicles on other roads in GSMNP, they are letting people walk and bike. Trail head parking areas off US 441 are also open, and people are being allowed to hike. I'm also hearing that some rangers aren't being as accommodating, so it might just depend on who is manning the area at that time.

What really makes me furious about this whole situation is that they will give all these employees who aren't working 100% back pay. If the House and Obama are supporting paying people for not working, then at least tell them to get to work and reopen the parks. Instead of ruining more vacations and weddings, get these places open. Totally ridiculous.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    in the grand scheme of this country, and its future... I am not worried about a few ruined weddings or vacations. Not saying I agree w/ the shutdown, just that I disagree with THAT being the reason for reopening these places.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Is there an explanation posted anywhere as to the reason to block off the overlooks or are we just speculating based on some pictures?

There is no reason except for the executive branch to cause pain to the people. I have no problem with them enforcing a street parking issue, as in "Keep moving, circle back." If cops weren't there, the entire road would be blocked, as people would just show up to get whatever photos they can since the monument is closed. However, making it so that not one vehicle can pull off is ridiculous. I've seen plenty of rangers directing traffic when parking areas fill-up. Just don't let folks stop in the roadway, make them keep moving. It is that simple. Plus, we now have all sorts of neighboring communities offering to assist with policing and providing minimal tourist info, but those offers are either not being answered or being turned away.

I think it backfired to some extent, as there are reports on the Trip Advisor forums that things aren't 100% closed as they were at first. The idea that some small pull off on US 441 needs to be blocked off is ridiculous, and it really made Obama look bad there because he controls the DOI. Funny how the Obamacare website isn't closed.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    It's seemingly innocuous things that encourage or start the mistrust of those in authority. If the police powers that be , high or low, can not make the sacrifice and do the right thing in a situation as simple as this, why should people trust them to stand against more overtly tyrannical actions.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    in the grand scheme of this country, and its future... I am not worried about a few ruined weddings or vacations. Not saying I agree w/ the shutdown, just that I disagree with THAT being the reason for reopening these places.

This is supposed to be about the spending of the government, which can never, ever be repaired. There are too many people who want their stock prices to store, their direct subsidies, their monthly checks, etc.. Republicans trying to take the high road now is laughable. Of course if Obama offered to bomb Syria into the ground, I bet half of them would offer another $1B for Obamacare. They are ruining my vacation, over petty stuff, acting like they are trying to save what absolutely can't be saved. It is to the point I will likely never vote in another federal election. These people don't care about us at all. They still get paid, big money, while the rest of us suffer in some form or another. The whole point of shutting down the government should be to save money, yet the House has already voted to pay people who aren't working. Ridiculous.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    , which can never, ever be repaired.

If that is the way you truly feel, then there is only one course of action.

I will likely never vote in another federal election.

Our forefathers gave their lives to give you THAT VERY RIGHT, to effect change in the gov't. If you choose not to use it, then you are a part of the problem and not the solution.

I am done with this conversation at this point. If you are not even willing to cast a vote in an attempt to change things, then your opinion on what should be changed and how means nothing.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Claire Wolfe

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Our forefathers gave their lives to give you THAT VERY RIGHT, to effect change in the gov't. If you choose not to use it, then you are a part of the problem and not the solution. I am done with this conversation at this point. If you are not even willing to cast a vote in an attempt to change things, then your opinion on what should be changed and how means nothing.

I have been casting votes for almost twenty years, and things have only gotten worse in terms of government debt loads. Nothing has improved at the federal level, it has only gotten worse. Granted the Bush tax cuts were nice, but you win me over by not taking additional money from me, then going and starting two wars we can't afford. Not sure who you are talking about when using the word "forefathers." If you are talking about the elite class, I personally think half or more would be 100% fine with the way things are going, so long as they were still part of that class of people today. It would be interesting to know their thoughts and view their actions based on how things are now.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What really makes me furious about this whole situation is that they will give all these employees who aren't working 100% back pay. If the House and Obama are supporting paying people for not working, then at least tell them to get to work and reopen the parks. Instead of ruining more vacations and weddings, get these places open. Totally ridiculous.

Actually they just did order every non excepted GOV employee (the ones told to go home) back to work starting Monday. This was done because they (Congress) voted to give them backpay whenever that may be so they might as well get the same work out of them as us excepted GOV folks. This will hopefully minimize the disruptions involved by everyone. but we shall see

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    You gents just keep trusting the LEO's as you call them. This park business is just a taste of what is comming.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If that is the way you truly feel, then there is only one course of action.

Our forefathers gave their lives to give you THAT VERY RIGHT, to effect change in the gov't.
    YEP! You said it not me.
    our forefathers (my blood ancestors) put everything in place just incase
    our votes didn't count anymore and the system became broken and the govt once again violated natural rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I think they've been crossing that line for some time now.
    im not going to break rules and talk about options but who wants to live with a boot on their neck?

these shutdowns are just the beginning. The world as we know it is heading for big changes. Funny money only goes so far.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I agree with your post more than I would care to. But I personally don't think we are as close to that line as you think we are. I think it can still be fixed, through votes.

I think the primaries are the place to win it back. But unfortunately not enough people vote in the primary so the options are bad or worse.

Top Bottom