• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hopefully the American auto industry doesn't take the same route as Otis did?

...Linda Williamson, president of the Bloomington Economic Development Corp., called the move "disappointing."

"Otis decision to move production out of Bloomington is really a decision to move production out of the United States and is based on global considerations and not on the productivity and quality of their local work force," she said...
    Most of that is just not true, years before that plant closed, the hydro line controllers were moved to Mexcio. Within a few years it came back to Bloomington.

I spend a bit working in the test towers in that plant in the test towers along side of a few Otis Engineers. They rotated Union mechanics and helpers in and out every year or two.
    At that period with constantly changing Fed laws, United Tech moved factory's around the world like they are shipping a UPS box around.
    They closed a few small plants up after they build a large plant about 2-3 times its size in Florence, SC. If I recall all that were employed at that Bloomington plant were offered employment at the new factory.
    I worked with two field men that transferred Locals and moved to Florence.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I just love people that go out of their way to tell us how billy bad ass they are. Wait, no I really don't care. The more you brag the more I figure they're full of ****. The more they try and put others down while doing the other, they are definitely compensating.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I just love people that go out of their way to tell us how billy bad ass they are. Wait, no I really don't care. The more you brag the more I figure they're full of ****. The more they try and put others down while doing the other, they are definitely compensating.
    Where is the digging his cause deeper emoji?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why would it be any different with being an Attorney and one that owns a steel erecting co and the owner is still a card carrying member of the Local he hires from and he also still works on the job?
    What makes it different? The ability to climb that ladder without being in a union. The owner is a union member because he had to be to work that trade. Further, there is no great impetus to unionize private law.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    And I will say it yet again, my ex works as a International Union Law Attorney, Her Father and the other 4 siblings are Union Law Attorneys, I worked as a Union Mechanic, my bestie of 14+ years has a law doctorate. She has spent many years doing HR and Union Contract work for companies that have a Union workforce. Hopefully you will read this and understand what I've posted for what ??? the third time...

And whats a bad ass? So I choose to enlist in the USMC, I earned a 300 series MOS, and when that was over I spent 5 years working in the private sector. A few years later I took off work for a year and a half and did a solo sail for 30,000 miles. And in the next years or two, I'm gonna do it again with my Thing 2.
    Most folks dont choose to do those things. But I do have a kid thats sorta following with a few family traditions.
    I chose a different life than most have, good bad indifferent. Your opinion really matters not to me. As I woud hope that mine doesn't matter to you.

I post just like I talk, with a factory voice. I change not if we met or when I'm speaking with one of my Mothers. I

A funny thing was said to me when a few of us met for a reloading swap meet awhile ago. Two members and I were talking and laughing and one that just bought a few boxes of ammo from me said, I would have though you would be more over bearing than you actually are in person. All of us laughed.

Excluding those here that know and have met me,
    I'm quite certain that I have done more for other members here, than they have done for me.
    IMG_0713.jpeg

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    You act like you know him. I do. I grew up with him. His dad was the chief of police here in Kokomo. I don't work at Stellantis but I am a millwright for GM and have been for over 33 years. I know Shawn from his time as an electrician. He went thru apprenticeship just like I did which is roughy 7,850 hours plus you go thru schooling with at least an 85% passing grade. No freebies for your accreditation either. People get dropped for grades. Try working 8+ hours a day plus going to Ivy Tech taking algebra, trig, etc after work. Most people are married with kids too. Easy? Not hardly. There is homework, tests, etc. People have gotten divorced going thru apprenticeship. I trust Shawn to bargain for the members. He is not stupid or a member of the good ole boy club and threw out big numbers w/ less hours for a reason. It's all about politics and bargaining just like any contract. Hopefully both sides meet in the middle and we are all winners or feel like we are. I have been on the losing end of so many contracts working for GM Kokomo Ops that it ain't funny but I would never work anywhere else. My time is done and I want to retire but I can't cause I got screwed over. I have zero benefits if I retire. None. Zip. Fair? Nope. I dedicated 33 years and beat my body down to nothing. 19th surgery is coming up first part of November. Hopefully I can be made whole contractually instead of tearing my body down by working so I can have medical, dental, vision and even death benefit insurance. Hopefully.
    This should've been post in the Political Area so I can avoid these "discussions" w/ members who have zero understanding of union membership. My stepdad was electrical supervisor of all of 2nd shift transmission plant so I know management's side of things. He was so proud when I got my apprenticeship even more so then when I came home from active duty military esp since I was f%$ked physically including PTSD and depression. He told me to never jump ship to management like he did. I hope the old dude is looking down and still proud of me...
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this. You want medical, dental, vision and death benefits after you retire?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What makes it different? The ability to climb that ladder without being in a union. The owner is a union member because he had to be to work that trade. Further, there is no great impetus to unionize private law.
    Thats why I was asking, I didn't think it would be any different.
    One would guess its the assoc attorneys that have done the union thing. :dunno:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this. You want medical, dental, vision and death benefits after you retire?
    I believe hes been hurt while on the job, and some contracts years ago included all of that with retirement.

What do you think one earns with retiring with 20+ years from the Armed Services?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Absolutly, I find it humerus that some here condem those who made different choices then them with the employment path they choose.

We all made those choices, I dont complain the the doctor down the street has a better bennies plan then me.
    Once the door has been opened its all fair game.
    I’m not condemning you. I am disagreeing with a lot of what you’re saying.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Funny it matters not with the words you and others have used with calling Union Members derogatory names in this thread. And I'm being the ****** one. LOLOLOL
    The worlds tough, get a helmet...

What? Union ho's? Meh. That's not derogatory.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If its true.... Nope

Just like you dont get tired of posting online.
    I mean. Just like? So do the same restrictions apply? That sounds like you're tacitly claiming that Mike is right, so therefore he does not get tired of posting on the internet. But. I know for a fact that Mike is not right all the time. He's wrong about HOA's. And he's wrong about documents. Oh. And bike paths.

Top Bottom