• ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That is such a stupid retort.
    Agreed. My employer pops in 5% of my gross pay to my 401k every check. I put in 7%. Wife's been doing 7/10 for a long while. Doesn't include the two roths we max each year. With the exception of health care we will be ready for retirement at 55. We'll both work some part time gig we like to keep us busy and cover insurance until medicaid time, or we get tired of doing it.

Unlike the union people, we didn't need someone else to figure out for us how to set up retirement. Of course we also don't have a mob mentality to do whatever the group says to do whenever they say it and we don't share the thug mentality of beating people that are going to do the job you're refusing to do. I guess we just weren't made out to be mindless drones.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    . I want to be able to fire people at will who don’t perform or break the rules.
    Sounds like every union I come in contact with.
    Don't follow the rules or underperform your out the door.
    I know this tread is UAW, but most people here are lumping all unions together. And others are talking about the trades.
    In typical INGO fashion, there's 3 different subjects in 1 thread and everyone is butt hurt because their point is taken wrong.
    I've been in the trades for about 25 yrs.
    1) You have to sign up to have money go to a political party
    2) 90% of the people in the trades I meet are conservative
    3) 90% feel the same way, don't follow the rules or slack off and they want you gone because you're putting the rest of us in danger
    Just my observations

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, we were guaranteed this because of the contracts. The new hires don't get it anymore but then again the Company kicks in a lot for their retirement and benefits that I do not get.
    My wife works for the school system and she gets bennies if she pays into it.

Oze, you don't get anything from your employer after 30 years or more of employment?
    Nope, and I didn't expect to. The idea of my ex-employer paying me anything when I no longer worked for them is a concept that is totally foreign to me. What I did get was great insurance, the ability to buy company stock at 15% below monthly average closing price and a 401(k) plan into which the company matched contributions from 6%-8%. I had 6%-10% auto-deposited, every check, good times (10%) and bad (6%).

BTW, kudos on going through the company training. I went to graduate school while working, also as a young father, which the company paid for as long as I got Bs or better. I graduated Magna *** laude (should have been summa *** laude except for that B in quantum electronics :( ), so the company did pay for everything. I have an idea of what you went through: no life for 2 1/2 years!

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Nope, and I didn't expect to. The idea of my ex-employer paying me anything when I no longer worked for them is a concept that is totally foreign to me. What I did get was great insurance, the ability to buy company stock at 15% below monthly average closing price and a 401(k) plan into which the company matched contributions from 6%-8%. I had 6%-10% auto-deposited, every check, good times (10%) and bad (6%).

BTW, kudos on going through the company training. I went to graduate school while working, also as a young father, which the company paid for as long as I got Bs or better. I graduated Magna *** laude (should have been summa *** laude except for that B in quantum electronics :( ), so the company did pay for everything. I have an idea of what you went through: no life for 2 1/2 years!
    Haha, the net nanny doesn't like the Latin word for "with". :):

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    What does yours contribute?

2023 3rd Qtr Dues2023 Hourly Scale2023 Fringe Benefits2023 Expenses

M.I.C. $855.00

M.I.C. $62.21
    Health Benefit Plan $16.075Zone 1 (15-30 miles) $38.71
    Mechanic. $793.00Mechanic $55.30Pension Plan $10.76Zone 2 (30-45 miles) $55.30
    80% App. $694.0080% App. $44.24Apprenticeship Plan $0.70Per Diem (+45 miles) $60.83
    70% App. $644.0070% App. $38.71Work Preservation $1.00Mileage Rate 65.5 cents
    65% App. $619.0065% App. $35.95401(k) Annuity $9.80
    55% App. $579.0055% App. $30.42Total $38.885
    TBD50% App. $27.65
    The company pays $10.76 per hour worked into the employees pension plan.
    The company pays $16.075 per hour worked into the employees health plan.
    The company pays $9.80 per hour worked into the employees Annuity Plan.
    A mechanics gross's $55.30 per hour strait time.
    Mechanic in charge is $62.21 per hour strait time.
    One can also enroll in the company's 401 plans and earn matching funds.
    And you can thank all of us for that generous income.
    And again, what does the company/union you work for contribute to your pension?
    I don‘t get a pension. Never worked for a union. Retired, comfortably and happy.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

I don‘t get a pension. Never worked for a union. Retired, comfortably and happy.
    Don't worry, he doesn't understand anything non-union pensions. He assumes the rest of us will all die working for $6/hr at some job that tries to kill us daily.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    What does yours contribute?

2023 3rd Qtr Dues2023 Hourly Scale2023 Fringe Benefits2023 Expenses

M.I.C. $855.00

M.I.C. $62.21
    Health Benefit Plan $16.075Zone 1 (15-30 miles) $38.71
    Mechanic. $793.00Mechanic $55.30Pension Plan $10.76Zone 2 (30-45 miles) $55.30
    80% App. $694.0080% App. $44.24Apprenticeship Plan $0.70Per Diem (+45 miles) $60.83
    70% App. $644.0070% App. $38.71Work Preservation $1.00Mileage Rate 65.5 cents
    65% App. $619.0065% App. $35.95401(k) Annuity $9.80
    55% App. $579.0055% App. $30.42Total $38.885
    TBD50% App. $27.65
    The company pays $10.76 per hour worked into the employees pension plan.
    The company pays $16.075 per hour worked into the employees health plan.
    The company pays $9.80 per hour worked into the employees Annuity Plan.
    A mechanics gross's $55.30 per hour strait time.
    Mechanic in charge is $62.21 per hour strait time.
    One can also enroll in the company's 401 plans and earn matching funds.
    Zigg asks me.
    How much did your employer contribute to your pension?

So I ask for the same from Zigg when he asks me what my employer puts towards my pension, And I post what they pay,
    And my request, is a stupid retort. LOL
    It is stupid (if I may quote). Your posts exhibit an attitude or arrogance, one might call it, and is quite childish.

I will, however, say it is quite entertaining to see an adult post like you have. What adds to that entertainment is the fact that you claim you type like you speak. Now that’s funny!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think the disconnect between pro and anti-union is that we have a conflict of visions. Yes, I'm borrowing a bit from Thomas Sowell.

The purpose of companies is not to employ people. They manufacture stuff or sell services to people for profit. If their business is such that the owners can't do it on their own, they hire people to help them. Employees are only owed the value of their labor. Once you don't work for an employer, you are of no value to them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't worry, he doesn't understand anything non-union pensions. He assumes the rest of us will all die working for $6/hr at some job that tries to kill us daily.
    I think I mentioned before that I have a pension coming from an previous employer. I was not in the union. And that company did not start paying pensions because unions forced them to. They started offering them after WWII just like many other large corporations did, to compete for workers.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I retired almost 6 years ago and did absolutely nothing for 1 year. I was going stir crazy so I decided to go find a job. Found one, 9 bucks an hour part time, but I loved it. It’s not a glamorous job but it gave me satisfaction, purpose. After about a year I went full time, then my wife retired and started going nuts at home so went back to part time. Been part time for almost a year and my wife just got an entry level job, part time. She told me last night that she loves working; and so do I.

My point is this. Some people just do not understand the value of work and all that is important to them is money. All my life, since I was 8, I worked. It’s who I am and what I enjoy. I take pride in my career and my current non-glamorous job. Even if I had a HUGE pension with enormous bennies, I’d still miss working. I guess it’s what you value most in life. I’d work more but my body is slowing down a bit. If I die while I am working, I’ll have a smile on my face.

That $6 and hour job for a retired person may be keeping them alive, and that is worth more than any pension.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I retired almost 6 years ago and did absolutely nothing for 1 year. I was going stir crazy so I decided to go find a job. Found one, 9 bucks an hour part time, but I loved it. It’s not a glamorous job but it gave me satisfaction, purpose. After about a year I went full time, then my wife retired and started going nuts at home so went back to part time. Been part time for almost a year and my wife just got an entry level job, part time. She told me last night that she loves working; and so do I.

My point is this. Some people just do not understand the value of work and all that is important to them is money. All my life, since I was 8, I worked. It’s who I am and what I enjoy. I take pride in my career and my current non-glamorous job. Even if I had a HUGE pension with enormous bennies, I’d still miss working. I guess it’s what you value most in life. I’d work more but my body is slowing down a bit. If I die while I am working, I’ll have a smile on my face.

That $6 and hour job for a retired person may be keeping them alive, and that is worth more than any pension.
    Wife and I already have plans for things we like and can get pay from.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

And I believe most would absolutely understand that. The problem here is, some are just Union Haters or have nothing else to do and just **** and moan with some topics. Like you I spent my youth working on my family's and neighbors farms. I started paying payroll taxes at 13.
    I find it interesting that some get upset with the choices others made with life's decisions. I'm 65 I will work for money until I'm 66 and a few months and then take my SS at 100%.

For me and the limited skills that I have, I always gone for the money
    over enjoying what I was doing for a living.
    If I work after that, like you, it will be for just the enjoyment of working.
    Thanks.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

It is stupid (if I may quote). Your posts exhibit an attitude or arrogance, one might call it, and is quite childish.

I will, however, say it is quite entertaining to see an adult post like you have. What adds to that entertainment is the fact that you claim you type like you speak. Now that’s funny!
    lol.... Potty humor is still funny in my familys homes.
    This whole thread has been entertaining.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think I mentioned before that I have a pension coming from an previous employer. I was not in the union. And that company did not start paying pensions because unions forced them to. They started offering them after WWII just like many other large corporations did, to compete for workers.
    Do you actually believe that if Unions were not offering pensions that non union companys would have offered them at all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you actually believe that if Unions were not offering pensions that non union companys would have offered them at all.
    Yes. It is a part of history that is well known.

Typical INGO sidebar: in WWII they instituted wage controls so employers were looking for something to attract workers, that was when employer paid health insurance became common, I have read at that time, linens were the biggest hospital expense. Now look at us…

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes. It is a part of history that is well known.

Typical INGO sidebar: in WWII they instituted wage controls so employers were looking for something to attract workers, that was when employer paid health insurance became common, I have read at that time, linens were the biggest hospital expense. Now look at us…
    Fun side bar, IBM used to be one of the largest pension providers through the 50-70's. People would work their 20 and retire at 41, get a second job like post office for another pension. IBM wasn't union. They did it for retention and to draw in the best people for the job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Fun side bar, IBM used to be one of the largest pension providers through the 50-70's. People would work their 20 and retire at 41, get a second job like post office for another pension. IBM wasn't union. They did it for retention and to draw in the best people for the job.
    Then why in 2007 did IBM stop the new employee pension and shift to a 401?
    Would they not want to keep the best people still today?

A fixed pension check is a guaranty, a variable investment income 401 is not guaranteed monthly income.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Then why in 2007 did IBM stop the new employee pension and shift to a 401?
    Would they not want to keep the best people still today?

A fixed pension check is a guaranty, a variable investment income 401 is not guaranteed monthly income.
    Because they no longer needed to. It was always a perk, like employer paid insurance. Those are things the employee should make sure they can handle. But if planning for your own retirement is too hard, you might still find a union hiring that still offers a pension

Top Bottom