• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So people will replace union workers if there isn't a strike, but not if there is? The union wouldn't go on strike if the company started replacing them?
    A company can go non union if it wants to.
    They can stay or move, it matters not.

I made the Statement that in most citys like ft wayne it would be difficult to hire the 4500 employees necessary to run that plant.

Manufactors tend to build plants where they already have a workforce living nearby.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'm pretty sure Ft. Wayne has a ready population willing to replace every assembly worker at that plant in a matter of weeks. And they would prolly be willing to do it for what the temps get paid. Since people are already filling out apps to be temps. Which shows that the market value is not what the union gets paid, it is what the temps get paid or less.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I'm pretty sure Ft. Wayne has a ready population willing to replace every assembly worker at that plant in a matter of weeks. And they would prolly be willing to do it for what the temps get paid. Since people are already filling out apps to be temps. Which shows that the market value is not what the union gets paid, it is what the temps get paid or less.
    These are the types of comments made by someone who has no idea what's really happening, or can happen.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am not convinced EV's will ever be a majority of vehicles on the road. I am not a believer......but yet they do seem to be catching on.
    Just a quick point, they really are not catching on in a big way. For all the narrative creation, money spent, and forcing of the issue, including outright bribery from the government to make them and buy them, after all that they account for 1% of current vehicle sales.

They do tricks of the mind to create that impression in folks minds. With splashy headlines saying EV sales are up 35% or they are shown to be in the 7%-10% of CARS (not vehicles) sold, all likely true but misleading as some manufacturers do not even sell cars and the most popular vehicles are SUV’s and light trucks.

Just sharing the light…

“Electric vehicles account for less than 1% of the 250 million vehicles, SUVs, and light-duty trucks sold in the United States.”

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This is where a futuristic eye would be nice to have. I am not convinced EV's will ever be a majority of vehicles on the road. I am not a believer......but yet they do seem to be catching on. I remember when I was a kid back in 70's and Public Service switched billing to computers. My dad cussed them up one side and down the other.....told them f'n computer experiments were a waste of time and just messes up bills. That a computer would never do what a human does, blah blah blah. Now look at today, we cant function without them. That always makes me hesitant to say some of this stuff today will not become life changing for humans in the future.

My single biggest fear for our society today.........is AI. That **** could be the end of the world as we know it. AI is scary for mankind.
    Heres a bit of history, In the late 1800's electric vehicles made up over 30% of the driven vehicles on the road. They didnt make it then either.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I find it interesting that I could go and buy a new car that got 50mpg not so long ago that just burned gas or diesel. now to get close to that I have to buy a hybrid.

Gotta wonder why they dont build a new Chevette, Metro, Rabbit and so on with todays petroleum burner tech that gets 75 mpg.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just a quick point, they really are not catching on in a big way. For all the narrative creation, money spent, and forcing of the issue, including outright bribery from the government to make them and buy them, after all that they account for 1% of current vehicle sales.

They do tricks of the mind to create that impression in folks minds. With splashy headlines saying EV sales are up 35% or they are shown to be in the 7%-10% of CARS (not vehicles) sold, all likely true but misleading as some manufacturers do not even sell cars and the most popular vehicles are SUV’s and light trucks.

Just sharing the light…

“Electric vehicles account for less than 1% of the 250 million vehicles, SUVs, and light-duty trucks sold in the United States.”

from your article

Electric and hybrid vehicle sales grew massively in 2020, with hybrids increasing by 76% and completely electric vehicles rising by 83%. Although this was a significant increase, just 3% of vehicle sales in 2021 were electric, with hybrids accounting for 5%.

I think that is they way forward, hybrid. I have a 2006 hybrid honda accord that more than paid for itself from a personal finance perspective.

I am not sure how to understand that sentence. Is it saying that 3% of vehicle sales were electric, 5% hybrids so 8% of sales had some sort of electric motor? I would think so because I don't consider hybrids electric.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    from your article

Electric and hybrid vehicle sales grew massively in 2020, with hybrids increasing by 76% and completely electric vehicles rising by 83%. Although this was a significant increase, just 3% of vehicle sales in 2021 were electric, with hybrids accounting for 5%.

I think that is they way forward, hybrid. I have a 2006 hybrid honda accord that more than paid for itself from a personal finance perspective.

I am not sure how to understand that sentence. Is it saying that 3% of vehicle sales were electric, 5% hybrids so 8% of sales had some sort of electric motor? I would think so because I don't consider hybrids electric.
    Which is in contrast to the lead sentence.

Which was the original point, they play with the numbers and wording. From other articles I have read the percentages you pointed out are for cars, not vehicles…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Which is in contrast to the lead sentence.

Which was the original point, they play with the numbers and wording. From other articles I have read the percentages you pointed out are for cars, not vehicles…
    Which, I don't believe, includes hybrids.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I think you misunderstand how easy most of the union jobs are, and that about any high schoolers could do most of the assembly jobs.
    What a person can do and what a person is willing to do are two different things. I can get 4000 individuals who are physically capable of doing the jobs. At the end of the week, I'd loose 1000. Retrain, regroup, go. End of the next week, 1000 more leave. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The jobs are mentally numbing (mostly), physically demanding (anything you do 450 times a day, 5-6 days a week). Turnover rate is so bad among the temps, the company recently dropped the drug test requirement....and it shows.

People with seniority, good working conditions and a fair contract will stay forever. Depth of knowledge actually does matter and skills are learned and honed.

Top Bottom