• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    He was in the blue shirt.... now I have 3 that can attest that I exist! Foszoe is a good guy. He didn't even slap me when we met.

Very nice to have met you.

As to proving your existence. ... you need more reputable witnesses.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya GPIYayshvenshunshohn,

I has needs a translate. "If you too believe he's a fascist, then ask yourself what it means to concern troll poor, Latino folks who take that belief seriously."

I'm old. I'm not hip. I'm a nerd, but not in the cool way. I like words, but mostly I like them when they are arranged in a way that I can comprehend, even if the comprehension is difficult to achieve.

I haven't the foggiest notion what he means by this. My attempted translation: If [the audience] thinks Trump is fascist, then they should ask themselves what it means to [raise the anxiety for no reason] of poor Latino people who take seriously the audience's belief that Trump is a fascist.

Trying to follow the advice, let's say I think Trump is a fascist. (I don't think he is, yet, but I can imagine.) So, I'm asking myself what it means for him to increase the anxiety of poor Latino people who take me seriously about my belief that Trump is a fascist. Well. I already think he's a fascist. So, now he's a jerk of a fascist? That doesn't make sense. I mean, most fascists are jerks. (The ones who aren't are the REALLY scary ones.)

It just feels like I'm missing this guy's point.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

I has needs a translate. "If you too believe he's a fascist, then ask yourself what it means to concern troll poor, Latino folks who take that belief seriously."

I'm old. I'm not hip. I'm a nerd, but not in the cool way. I like words, but mostly I like them when they are arranged in a way that I can comprehend, even if the comprehension is difficult to achieve.

I haven't the foggiest notion what he means by this. My attempted translation: If [the audience] thinks Trump is fascist, then they should ask themselves what it means to [raise the anxiety for no reason] of poor Latino people who take seriously the audience's belief that Trump is a fascist.

Trying to follow the advice, let's say I think Trump is a fascist. (I don't think he is, yet, but I can imagine.) So, I'm asking myself what it means for him to increase the anxiety of poor Latino people who take me seriously about my belief that Trump is a fascist. Well. I already think he's a fascist. So, now he's a jerk of a fascist? That doesn't make sense. I mean, most fascists are jerks. (The ones who aren't are the REALLY scary ones.)

May have been more context in his previous tweets. Here's his whole spiel so far

1. Spend half a year calling Trump a xenophobic fascist.
    2. Likely victims of xenophobic fascism act out.
    3. "WHAT HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN"

It's very simple: All violence against human lives and bodies is categorically immoral.
    Property destruction is vastly more negotiable.

But again, the point is that you cannot spend a year calling a man a unique threat to democracy then be shocked when people act that way.

You just wonder about the details that have been emphasized here, what they're meant to suggest or elicit, what attitudes they bear out.

Listen, I don't think the point of the riots is about electability either way, but there isn't really "riots help Trump" evidence at all.

There's evidence that smarmy performative outrage in the press helps Trump, that the GOP helps Trump--not so much protestors.

I understand the intuitive logic people are using, but it doesn't appear to be substantiated by anything, doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Remember when you spent a week saying "Now, killing Brown wasn't good, but these protests are out of hand", then had to pretend you didn't? This is the same thing. Instinct is to concern troll people protesting as an affront to democracy and the rule of law. It's a bad instinct.

You spent a year saying Trump was a fascist, and particularly an anti-Hispanic bigot. Hispanics take that seriously, and you're Shocked. "What, we can't repeat every day that a man is a unique threat to the fabric of society without some people taking us up on that?"

And listen: I do tend to agree Trump is atypically threatening. That's why I'm not going to condemn rioters. If you too believe he's a fascist, then ask yourself what it means to concern troll poor, Latino folks who take that belief seriously.

It's remarkable how many people deeply concerned about people protesting Trump would also like me to know they personally plan to murder me.

Again: You cannot tell people over and over that somebody is an existential threat to them and then be appalled when they act like it.

He went on for a couple hours.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GPIA7R again

Thanks, but... it seems like an effort to graft a rationale onto his multitude of ways of saying "told you so."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One of these days their eggs and rocks are going to be countered with bullets. And I don't mean rubber bullets, either. They're going to run headlong into the violence they're trying so hard to incite, and it will not go well for them.

I seriously wasn't planning on voting for Trump. Now I am. Because **** on those turds. They need to lose. This ain't Venezuela or Cuba, and nobody that pulls **** like that should be allowed to have their way. Screw those ***holes.

Didn't that happen once at some university in Ohio? I believe they were quite surprised

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    good-good-unleash-your-anger-thumb.jpg

Cave quid vis

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    These protesters should focus their anger in a more positive way. They should enlist. This way we get losers off the street and our military gets stronger.

:rockwoot: Win-Win

I don't think the modern military offers 'cannon fodder' as a specialization - but hey, we could always start

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The "concern troll" construct is very confusing. G's post of the full context makes it likely "concern-troll" should be hyphenated. Maybe G gould provide a definition for that as a precise definition isn't intuitive.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The "concern troll" construct is very confusing. G's post of the full context makes it likely "concern-troll" should be hyphenated. Maybe G gould provide a definition for that as a precise definition isn't intuitive.

A few definitions. It's very, very common on Twitter

Actually, there's quite a bit of it here if you know where to look

A person who posts in the guise of "concern," to disrupt dialogue or undermine morale by pointing out that posters and/or the site may be getting themselves in trouble, usually with an authority or power. They point out problems that don't really exist. The intent is to derail, stifle, control, the dialogue. It is viewed as insincere and condescending.

A concern troll on a progressive blog might write, "I don't think it's wise to say things like that because you might get in trouble with the government." Or, "This controversy is making your side look disorganized."

A concern troll visits sites of an opposing ideology and offers advice on how they could "improve" things, either in their tactical use of rhetoric, site rules, or with more philosophical consistency. The "improvements" are generally to be less effective.

Imagine being on fire, running up to a firefighter screaming for help, and they hook their hands in their pockets and say, "Actually, before we start, I think you should say you're violently oxidizing. Not all oxidization is bad. I mean, some of my cells are performing oxidation right now, and I think it would be better if we ...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I figured they'd just say his account was hacked like all the other instigators.

Is there no end to the deviousness of the Trump supporters? Hacking into Vox editor accounts and publishing pro-violence/riot material is quite hateful! Oh, he published that stuff willingly? Carry on.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Honestly, that's sad. I hope they can identify the people throwing things and charge them. You can disagree, you can yell, chant, hell even participate in civil disruptions BUT, when you place you hands on other people, then you're due for an ***whoopin'.... and I don't care on which side you support.

Sir Kut the Consistent strikes again!!!!!!!!!

Awesome.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom