Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I keep seeing that. Is it supposed to be some sort of slight, or smear? What is the substance behind it? Or is it just Alinsky-ite ad hominem?

It's just a dig. A kind of display of lack of respect for Trump. It's kinda along the same vein as Trump and his supporters always referring to Cruz as "Lying Ted".

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Didn't look into it much, but I think John Oliver made it a small movement. From what I vaguely understand, it was his family name when they came to America?

Yes, it is an old family surname. I just don't get why anti-Trump people are using it. It seems petty at best, and xenophobic at worst. I don't understand the point trying to be made.

You didn't watch the debate? Trump said he'd sue Ted for lying. Ted responded that he only repeated Trump's own words, and that he'd welcome the opportunity to depose Trump under oath, himself. And something to the effect of bring it, *****. Paraphrasing of course.

I don't watch debates, in general. They're mostly a clown show, all around. That exchange sounds like typical Trump bombast.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Didn't look into it much, but I think John Oliver made it a small movement. From what I vaguely understand, it was his family name when they came to America?

I have come to the conclusion that John Oliver is a "small movement" that Piers Morgan forgot to flush.....

I guess I'm not familiar with this guy. He must be on a channel or web site I don't watch/visit.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm not apposed to candidates calling each other poopyheads, you know, free speech and all. I'm just not sure why mature audiences wouldn't just roll their eyes at that.

Poopyheads? Heck with that. How about "repulsive pendant" or even better "a hideous hermaphroditical character" or accusing your opponent of wearing women's corsets.
    The Complete History of Dirty Politics: A Q&A on Anything for a Vote - Freakonomics Freakonomics
    Yes, it is an old family surname. I just don't get why anti-Trump people are using it. It seems petty at best, and xenophobic at worst.
    Petty? You mean like saying "the bimbo is back in town" or perhaps "blood coming out of her wherever"? I'd say those are pettier and most likely sexist.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Poopyheads? Heck with that. How about "repulsive pendant" or even better "a hideous hermaphroditical character" or accusing your opponent of wearing women's corsets.
    The Complete History of Dirty Politics: A Q&A on Anything for a Vote - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Petty? You mean like saying "the bimbo is back in town" or perhaps "blood coming out of her wherever"? I'd say those are pettier and most likely sexist.

Petty? Perhaps. Sexist? Not in the slightest. Trump was talking about Megyn Kelly's metaphorical rage/bloodlust. It had nothing to do with her vagina, or even that she was a woman - and such an interpretation doesn't even make any sense in the context of what Trump said.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I keep seeing that. Is it supposed to be some sort of slight, or smear? What is the substance behind it? Or is it just Alinsky-ite ad hominem?

It was a very forced meme, apparently his grandfather had his name changed at Ellis Island so people are calling Trump using the name Trump a fraud.

Basically John Oliver got his panties in a bunch because Trump called out John Stewart for changing his last name.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I guess I'm not familiar with this guy. He must be on a channel or web site I don't watch/visit.

Here is a pic when he was on South Park....

latest

Comedy Central gave him his own show after Trey and Matt killed him off.....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just bringing up a bit of recent history:

Asked by the Fox Business Network anchor Maria Bartiromo about the feasibility of his proposal to bar foreign Muslims from entering the United States, Mr. Trump argued that Belgium and France had been blighted by the failure of Muslims in these countries to integrate.

“There is something going on, Maria,” he said. “Go to Brussels. Go to Paris. Go to different places. There is something going on and it’s not good, where they want Shariah law, where they want this, where they want things that — you know, there has to be some assimilation. There is no assimilation. There is something bad going on.”…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Trump this morning:

“I would close up our borders to people until we figure out what’s going on,” he said on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends.”

We have to be very, very vigilant with who we let into this country,” Trump continued. “We are taking in people without real documentation.

“We don’t know who they are or where they’re from. We don’t learn. I will tell you I’ve been talking about this for a long time. This whole thing will get worse as time goes by.”

Trump this afternoon:

Trump said his main focus is on better immigration surveillance, not a total shutdown.

"I didn't say shut it down," he said. "I said you have to be very careful. We have to be very, very strong and vigilant at the borders. We have to be tough.

"We have people who are coming into our country who are undocumented. We have no idea who they are or where they come from. They could be ISIS-related."

Boy, if that isn't the poster child for inconsistent statements, I don't know what is.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Boy, if that isn't the poster child for inconsistent statements, I don't know what is.

We're lucky to have you here to parse what Trump really means when he says things.

INGO, where "I would close up our borders" doesn't mean "I would close up our borders"

But this is nothing new with Trump, he really does need a period of time after saying something to clear up what he really meant by it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He said, "Close the borders until we figure out what's going on." He figured out what's going on a few hours later. He didn't change his mind, he figured it out.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

You mean that headline readers are easily misled? And that articles about Trump are often purposely misleading? And that some people are happy to carry the mainstream media's water without listening/reading to the actual conversion where the quotes came from? Whodda thunk it. :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    By the way, I think I'm going to main line the kool aid.

Saying Trump says what people want to hear requires that he intentionally decides what to say. I think he doesn't change his mind so much as speak with a lack of specificity. In that respect, he is kinda brilliant.

"Close our borders" to him may not mean "keep people out." It more likely means "keep out the people we need to keep out ALL the time." It is like people who only read the first half of a sentence, then go on to the next sentence. He only says the first half of a thought, then moves on to the next thought. If questioned, he simply completes the original thought with what makes sense.

I think I'm going to start posting like that.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    By the way, I think I'm going to main line the kool aid.

Saying Trump says what people want to hear requires that he intentionally decides what to say. I think he doesn't change his mind so much as speak with a lack of specificity. In that respect, he is kinda brilliant.

"Close our borders" to him may not mean "keep people out." It more likely means "keep out the people we need to keep out ALL the time." It is like people who only read the first half of a sentence, then go on to the next sentence. He only says the first half of a thought, then moves on to the next thought. If questioned, he simply completes the original thought with what makes sense.

I think I'm going to start posting like that.

I think we all should at the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom