• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I actually found it through that washington post article, I was skimming for anything out there.

No worries dood. Now I know you don't always read the links you post. :D

And you could take a $1,000,000 loan and transform it into billions? I suspect you are overestimating your abilities if so...

First, I'd like the chance.

Second, if Trump started with the same million today, he couldn't grow it into what he has now, for a couple reasons. Primarily, he got lucky. I'm actually giving him credit for that. The whole "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" of the 1980s was perfect for him and his personality. In some ways, he was the progenitor of reality TV, or at least an early adopter.

At a business level, though, he leveraged the million into many more millions of debt. He didn't even "have" the million - the banks had it tied up. But, he made money for them early, so they stuck with him and loaned him more. That is unlikely to happen now because of reserve requirements that are different. On top of that, when he failed, he declared bankruptcy under rules that are different now. So, it isn't clear that he would've emerged from those incidents with as much money to leverage more debt from, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sold on the, "This guy made good real estate investments" argument.

That's not even on my list of essential presidential credentials.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Maybe not, but odds are I wouldn't file for bankruptcy 4 times, either.

Like Martha says, its a good thing your a cop. Because 50% of all new business's fail in the first five years.
    You most likely would file bankruptcy about 50 times... And without business education you would most likely have a higher percentage..
    Mr Trump has done very well against the scale of business's failing..

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is more to his story but so many people aren't interested anymore. However, there is no more story to investing $200MM in 1982 in an index fund and having it worth $8.3 billion today - that's just math.
    The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest.

- attributed to Albert Einstein.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is more to his story but so many people aren't interested anymore. However, there is no more story to investing $200MM in 1982 in an index fund and having it worth $8.3 billion today - that's just math.

Except I think you just applied cumulative returns to $200MM. What about taxes. The money that you would have today would be after tax, which would decrease your rate of return substantially (that's why Mittens has so much money in the Caymans)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So how does he do business? When you sat across from him at the table, cutting a deal, what was it like?

haha

I don't have a problem with his style, my point was in the context of what business he does. Other than figurehead of the real estate stuff (my understanding is that his kids run the major stuff, as well as their own), his "business" is being Donald Trump. He licenses his name for others to use. He doesn't actually run those businesses.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    haha

I don't have a problem with his style, my point was in the context of what business he does. Other than figurehead of the real estate stuff (my understanding is that his kids run the major stuff, as well as their own), his "business" is being Donald Trump. He licenses his name for others to use. He doesn't actually run those businesses.

Good answer. I just had to be a dick. :laugh:

He's certainly leveraged his brand.

p.s. I haven't done one with him either!

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Except I think you just applied cumulative returns to $200MM. What about taxes. The money that you would have today would be after tax, which would decrease your rate of return substantially (that's why Mittens has so much money in the Caymans)
    The $8.3 billion does assume reinvestment of dividends and distributions ( too many variables to consider taxes that have changed over the last 35 years). However, the value alone of the $200MM index fund in 1982 would be alomost $3 billion. (S&P @140 in 1982 and 2000 today).
    I've said it before, but given that much money and becoming a billionaire is not impressive, but inevitable.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No worries. I guess I will elaborate a bit, though, and say that his style, while more or less appropriate in business, is not the style I want in a president.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is a very interesting video about Trump. It is obviously pro-Trump, but does answer some questions:

Was Trump a lifelong Democrat who recently became a Republican? (No)
    Did Trump only recently consider running for President? (No)
    Has Trump put considerable time, effort, and thought into his primary platform planks, such as industry, trade deficit, economy, and our borders? (Yes)

Granted, the video doesn't answer other questions. It doesn't provide any specifics for his positions/proposals.

It is long, but worth the view: 1980 - 2016: the long road to the White House

[video=youtube;mxf1XmVZ9qY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY[/video]

He may be wrong about his concerns. He may make a terrible, incompetent President. But Trump is not a Democrat in Republican-sheep's clothing. He hasn't decided to run for President on a whim. He has been consistent, for three decades, about what he sees as the problems our country faces.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom