• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The aspiration to impartiality should be part of every judge/justices personal framework.

But people approach ideas and problems in different ways.

On the judiciary, that may play out in different ways but is generally consistent with precedent.

Hey! You're reading too much common sense into that. What she really means is that if a person that has spoken ill of Latinos comes into her courtroom, they will be ruled against, regardless of what the facts say! Dagnabit!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey! You're reading too much common sense into that. What she really means is that if a person that has spoken ill of Latinos comes into her courtroom, they will be ruled against, regardless of what the facts say! Dagnabit!

If it's even a possibility she shouldn't be a judge. A klan member shouldn't be a judge or a senator.
    It's a black and white question. (no pun intended)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Recuse themselves where a conflict of interest is possible.

Exactly. What, again, would be the basis for recusal in the Trump U case? The judge's decisions have (apparently) been affirmed every time.

BTW, in a quick google, before becoming a judge, Curiel was a prosecutor tasked with pursuing major felony and narcotics trafficking cases... from Mexico. He was even targeted for assassination by at least 1 cartel.

In this specific case, he moved the trial date to after the election so as not to make it a controversy. That is something he was not legally required to do, but that could be understood to be doing Trump a favor.

Not much evidence of prejudice.

robert byrd should have never been a senator.
    Voters get to decide. :)

Feel free, though remember, positions evolve............
    Sometimes in a matter of hours. :D

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why not? A person who adheres to Sharia shouldn't be judged by non-Sharia practitioners, right?

I absolutely agree with you. No one who wants to live under Sharia law should be residents or citizens of the United States. Plenty of modern, first-world countries with Sharia law as the national standard for them to choose from.

Always glad to find common ground! :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    BTW, is there any sense of irony in using old quotes to support current position, while ignoring disavowals and clarifications from the utterer. :D

You mean like #NeverRelevants using Trump quotes from 2000 (AWB) but 'ignoring disavowals and clarifications from the utterer'? How utterly unsportsmanlike

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

But I thought it was an article of faith among some that liberal judge appointees rule in favor of liberal causes because of their liberalness. Does this not belie any assumption of impartiality? Why even worry about who Godzillary will appoint to SCOTUS, then.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Welp, even by INGO standards the bad logic in this thread has reached EPIC levels.

Kut (doesn't claim innocence, either, fyi)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    But I thought it was an article of faith among some that liberal judge appointees rule in favor of liberal causes because of their liberalness. Does this not belie any assumption of impartiality? Why even worry about who Godzillary will appoint to SCOTUS, then.

giphy.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Anyone who thinks him or herself to be completely unbiased and without racial prejudice is delusional.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone who thinks him or herself to be completely unbiased...

I'm following you so far...

and nonracist is delusional.

Wait what. Bias and race can definitely be mutually exclusive things... A person can definitely be biased against many things... but I'm sure there are people that really don't care about race, and would therefore be, "nonracist"

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm following you so far...

Wait what. Bias and race can definitely be mutually exclusive things... A person can definitely be biased against many things... but I'm sure there are people that really don't care about race, and would therefore be, "nonracist"

My answer may depend on how racism is defined. If I substituted " without racial prejudice" for non racist how would that strike you? I edited the original post to reflect that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think there's a misunderstanding: it looks to me like Expat used quotes to show that Trump thinks the rulings are bad, not that they are actually "bad." The implication is that the judge's rulings predate the specious "reason" for the rulings.

IOW, Trump is basically retconning the personal animus.
    Otherwise the quotes would have served no purpose. I have no idea if the earlier rulings were bad, just that they were against Trump. At that point in time, Donald was still on record as criticizing Romney for being too tough on immigration.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The thing about this judge issue, is the amazing amounts of hypocrisy being illustrated in this thread.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The thing about this judge issue, is the amazing amounts of hypocrisy being illustrated in this thread.

Oh Ya?
    Well, I am not prejudice in any way but yet, I believe a 100 foot electrified fence should be built on all our borders plus I'm voting for Trump.
    Stick that in your racist hat. :p

There is nothing racist about protecting the country we live in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh Ya?
    Well, I am not prejudice in any way but yet, I believe a 100 foot electrified fence should be built on all our borders plus I'm voting for Trump.
    Stick that in your racist hat. :p

What makes you believe that "I" don't want a fence put up? And exactly how is that racist?.... and I have a border plan that's way better and less expensive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom