• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, the logical conclusion of realizing that some judges may allow bias to color their decision, because of their background, means that we should let religious groups have their own system of laws.

:rolleyes:

Why not? A person who adheres to Sharia shouldn't be judged by non-Sharia practitioners, right? Obviously there would be bias. Oh, and obviously men shouldn't judge women either....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why not? A person who adheres to Sharia shouldn't be judged by non-Sharia practitioners, right? Obviously there would be bias. Oh, and obviously men shouldn't judge women either....

Well, in a Muslim Country where Sharia is the standard, I think you'd be right. Our standard is the Constitution. Certainly Muslims would be biased towards their culture, Hispanics would be biased towards theirs, whites, blacks, etcetera. Justices, and Sotomeyer said this much while explaining her questionable previous statements, must put away those biases and judge matters according to the standards. If that is what she believes, then why make those statements. Her explaination for what she meant by the wise latina statement sounded more like a job applicant caught making an embarrassing statement on Facebook. It was quite lame. It's clear that in context she was encouraging young latinas to aspire to the bench so that hispanic people would have a better outcome. Other similar statements she had made during various speeches make it clear she means to be an advocate for her people specifically. That's not what the Supreme Court is. Those Justices should be advocates for the law, the constitution.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heh, remember when Trump dismissed the idea that America is exceptional, and said the suggestion was an insult to other countries? Sorta argued that America would only be exceptional if he became President.

That sounds a lot like Michelle Obama.

Just an observation.

[video=youtube;72wM6cqPS-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wM6cqPS-c[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Now Speaker Ryan has had to come out and "disavow" Trump's comments on the judge... saying such comments are "textbook definition of a racist comment"

I bet all these people that endorsed him are going to love defending him for the next few months. Even INGO seems to have backed-off from it lately... it's been quiet around here.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/740185223078502400

Edit: And apparently now Jeffrey Lord has called Ryan a racist for his comments.

Man, it's like 2008-2016 all over again. We're all racists! But this time it's a white guy directing it

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In fairness, that's not really what Trump said. He said the judge is doing a bad job because of his race, not that he can't do the job at all.

;)

So when did Mexicans cease being citizens of Mexico and become a race called Mexicans??? Not just a race but "La Raza", "The Race" (which broke the hearts of Aryans every where after years of think they were "The Race").

Ah the heck with it...Time for some Wall of Voodoo....

[video=youtube;eyCEexG9xjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw[/video]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I bet all these people that endorsed him are going to love defending him for the next few months. Even INGO seems to have backed-off from it lately... it's been quiet around here.

No need to defend him...He is going to be the next President..I am as sure of that as anything I have ever been sure of...

So I am not being quiet...I could see myself in the heat of a moment saying something like that...I do not consider Mexico a race but a country...I have heard the things Vincent Fox and other Mexican politicians have said about Trump...My wife's family is from Argentina and although she was born here she quickly defends Argentina whenever something negative is happening there....I hold nothing against a judge (because of loyalty to the land his folks came from)for being biased against Trump and his case. Even going so far as to release documents to affect the election and playing the "Country Card" (As I said, Mexico is not a race but a country) to try to sway an election that he feels would harm the homeland of his parents...

My mother in law (dual citizen) at least once a year says she can't believe the US didn't back Argentina in the Falklands....My wife's aunt freaked out because on the leather plate we have of Argentina (from Argentina) I x'ed out "Malvinas" and with a marker wrote "Falkland Islands" and put a little Union Jack on it....She sneered at me and said (in Spanish) "YOU are not British!!!"....I told her I wasn't but I do believe in self rule and the folks that have lived on that Island for the past two hundred years have the right to choose their form of Government...She said the Malvinas belonged to Spain and after Argentina won their Independence from Spain the Malvinas became part of Argentina...I said by that convoluted logic because the US whupped Spain in the Spanish American War Argentina should belong to the US and could she tell me where I could get my estancia on a nice trout stream (dove and duck hunting a nice bonus) because to the victor belong the spoils???

There is nothing wrong with that judge using his judicial power to try to throw the Trump campaign for a loop and nothing wrong with Trump calling him out...They are both big boys playing in a large arena.....

Some my my very good friends and customers are first generation folks from Mexico..My step mother in law (whom I love...My father in law died but she remains my daughter's "abuella" and always will be) is from Mexico...An INGOer I would trust my life (and the life of my family with) family is from Mexico....

This is from a Trump rally...With this kind of vitriol being directed towards folks like myself and my wife from children (at the instigation of their parents) is it any wonder that Americans are not really that butt hurt over Trump reminding folks that this judge's releasing of documents may be politically motivated???

This was in Indiana...The judge's home state...Has he come out and condemned this kind of hateful rhetoric against his fellow Hoosiers?????

NSFW...I can't believe I have to say that in a video with kids in it...Pathetic....

[video=youtube;-uRiExRJ5AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRiExRJ5AI[/video]

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have heard people refer to ethnicity all my life. They are Italian or Irish or Polish. They were Americans but people still would refer to their ethnicity. Having said that, This judge was issuing "bad" rulings before Trump was running for POTUS and talking about a wall.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have heard people refer to ethnicity all my life. They are Italian or Irish or Polish. They were Americans but people still would refer to their ethnicity. Having said that, This judge was issuing "bad" rulings before Trump was running for POTUS and talking about a wall.

And I can only assume you believe those bad rulings were due to his liberal leanings than his Mexican heritage.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And I can only assume you believe those bad rulings were due to his liberal leanings than his Mexican heritage.

This is just my opinion kut and I am in no way saying I am right...

Donald Trump has been clear on building a wall on our Southern border and perhaps charging a fee for all of the money leaving the US via Western Union and going back south of the border...So the question one could pose is this...

If an (Indiana) judge ruled that the Confederate Flag should be allowed to fly above a state house in SC or some other state south of the river....And an opponent of allowing that flag reminded folks that the judges parents and family are from Mississippi, would that make the judges decision possibly suspect??? Maybe clouded by family loyalty???? Would it be fair to bring up his southern roots and how that may have affected his ruling?????

I say it would be something that I as a fair minded person would have to consider..

I am not saying I am right...But it is something to consider...

IMHO and with respect....

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I think there's a misunderstanding: it looks to me like Expat used quotes to show that Trump thinks the rulings are bad, not that they are actually "bad." The implication is that the judge's rulings predate the specious "reason" for the rulings.

IOW, Trump is basically retconning the personal animus.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Isn't he the bartender in Star Wars?

656ed1b97fbcc3c09b66d509bc8e05b0.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is what a "wise Latina judge" judge on the Supreme Court had to say about how ethnicity could affect decisions...

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would, more often than not, reach a better conclusion."

“Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences,” she said, for jurists who are women and nonwhite, “our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging.” Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here is what a "wise Latina judge" judge on the Supreme Court had to say about how ethnicity could affect decisions...

“Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences,” she said, for jurists who are women and nonwhite, “our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging.” Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

Do you think a white man is immune from that?

For instance, that is a partial quote.

She went on to say:
    And she said she tried to question her own “opinions, sympathies and prejudices,” and aspired to impartiality

The aspiration to impartiality should be part of every judge/justices personal framework.

But people approach ideas and problems in different ways.

On the judiciary, that may play out in different ways but is generally consistent with precedent.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Do you think a white man is immune from that?

For instance, that is a partial quote.

She went on to say:

And she said she tried to question her own “opinions, sympathies and prejudices,” and aspired to impartiality
    The aspiration to impartiality should be part of every judge/justices personal framework.

But people approach ideas and problems in different ways.

On the judiciary, that may play out in different ways but is generally consistent with precedent.

She tries "so hard" to temper her own prejudices. hitlary tried "so hard" to do the right thing with her emails too... except when she didn't.
    Yes, a white man judge, is probably not immune from that........ however......
    As long as we are assuming..... we can't discount "white guilt" in association with decision making either.
    Also, "white man judge" hasn't made racial or cultural differences part of their election platform that I am aware of like the "wise latina" did.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    She tries "so hard" to temper her own prejudices. hitlary tried "so hard" to do the right thing with her emails too... except when she didn't.
    Yes, a white man judge, is probably not immune from that........ however......
    As long as we are assuming..... we can't discount "white guilt" in association with decision making either.
    Also, "white man judge" hasn't made racial or cultural differences part of their election platform that I am aware of like the "wise latina" did.

Right.

So what is the alternative? No judges? Everyone a judge?

The semi-political system that selects judges in America is not perfect, nor is it a complete failure. The more inclusive it can be, the more credibility it will have, as long as the rule of law is supported.

Bringing that around to the question at hand, the ONLY criticism I've seen of this judge is in regards to the Trump case. If the judge were a bad judge, led down dark paths of judicial legislation by fervent ethnic temptations, would there not be concrete examples of that?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BTW, is there any sense of irony in using old quotes to support current position, while ignoring disavowals and clarifications from the utterer. :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Recuse themselves where a conflict of interest is possible.
    robert byrd should have never been a senator.

BTW, is there any sense of irony in using old quotes to support current position, while ignoring disavowals and clarifications from the utterer. :D

Feel free, though remember, positions evolve............

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom