• ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Back to the conviction and the pardon.

When Judge Snow issued the temporary injunction in December 2011, Arpaio appealed to the 9th to overturn the injunction, and the 9th circuit let the injunction stand. Below is the decision on the appeal which also describes the injunction as very narrow:

...“partial injunctive relief” prohibiting the Defendants from detaining any individual “based only on knowledge or reasonable belief, without more, that the person is unlawfully present within the United States.”

- and -

... the district court enjoined the Defendants from detaining individuals based solely on reasonable suspicion or knowledge that a person was unlawfully present in the United
    States.

The appeals court also notes that it does not prohibit detaining illegals if they violate state OR FEDERAL law:

Thus, the Defendants’ ability to enforce local and even federal criminal law is not impaired by the injunction.

It reasonably follows, though the appeals court didn't address it either way, that an individual who is unlawfully present AND has a federal/state criminal warrant, deportation order or detainer against him is not someone who is solely unlawfully present... there is more.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/10/01/12-15098.pdf

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Don't know what you are referring to. Wikipedia-By the end of his presidency on January 20, 2017, Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant executive clemency—that is, "pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve"[SUP][1][/SUP]—to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes. Of the acts of clemency, 1,715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons.[SUP][2][/SUP] Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,[SUP][3][/SUP] and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the War on Drugs.[SUP][4][/SUP]

YES, some of those pardoned, had GUN CHARGES .....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    And what do you think the police should be able to do near one of these "known illegal-immigrant day-labor site"?

Ask any Hispanic person for ID? Check everyone for ID?

Stop any car driven by a Hispanic to check for citizenship?

Grab anyone that tries to leave when the police show up, since they are probably illegal?

Drive by, State, and Washington, across from the Speedway gas station .....

Just watch .....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Drive by, State, and Washington, across from the Speedway gas station .....

Just watch .....

That place is well known. It is a hot spot for this activity.
    There is a homeless camp just east of there behind what used to be Washington auto parts. Back by the tracks. A lot of them used to come out of there if you watched in the morning.
    I took care of the building that used to be the old A&P distribution center on state and Wash. It commands a good view of the entire area from the roof.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The question is actually, how do you propose they be checked for citizenship?

That should be the question, but that's not the question. I think we all know that it assumed that the people at State and Washington, are assumed to be illegals.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not live in that area, so I can not assume that they are illegal, I have never seen them.

From what CM stated it is possible that many are homeless. In ny experience, working with illegals through Church they are rarely homeless, at least the ones that I have known. For the most part they were hard working industrious folk that would live sometimes twenty to a small apartment and combine their resources to pay the bills.

If they are homeless Americans, possibly Vets or mentally ill, mixed in with in with illegals. They are being taken advantage of by dispicable contractors/homeowners.

The ones that need gone after are the illegal employers. Track their vehicles and jobs and slap them with all applicable fines for not having workers comp, filing w4's witholding taxes, fica, tax evaision &t.

I have a good friend who has been in business for thirty years who thought he was helping people by giving them jobs under the table. He got hit with about sixty thousand in fines and penalties a few years back and now he is religious in following all of the employment laws.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I do not live in that area, so I can not assume that they are illegal, I have never seen them.

From what CM stated it is possible that many are homeless. In ny experience, working with illegals through Church they are rarely homeless, at least the ones that I have known. For the most part they were hard working industrious folk that would live sometimes twenty to a small apartment and combine their resources to pay the bills.

If they are homeless Americans, possibly Vets or mentally ill, mixed in with in with illegals. They are being taken advantage of by dispicable contractors/homeowners.

The ones that need gone after are the illegal employers. Track their vehicles and jobs and slap them with all applicable fines for not having workers comp, filing w4's witholding taxes, fica, tax evaision &t.

I have a good friend who has been in business for thirty years who thought he was helping people by giving them jobs under the table. He got hit with about sixty thousand in fines and penalties a few years back and now he is religious in following all of the employment laws.

That's my experience too, I can't think of a homeless illegal that I have ever encountered.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

^^^ THIS ^^^

Why try to round up a dozen or more illegals, when you can instead go after one employer? And, unless they are totally corrupt, they will change their ways, permanently turning off that individual employment magnet, whereas if you detain the illegal aliens, more will show up to take their place tomorrow.

Plus, the fines the employers have to pay help pay the salaries of the officers/agents.

ETA: Observing the employer load up a truckload of people at State and Washington, then driving directly to the worksite and getting to work, is strong probable cause that required I-9 and other employment processing did not occur prior to employment.

Top Bottom