• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    "Michael Eric Dyson, an author and Trump critic, was on CNN shortly after Vance made his remarks and was asked to weigh in. “Yeah, I mean, the level of disrespect must not be overlooked. The normalization of this kind of coarse rhetoric, is itself problematic. The opprobrium of a vice presidential candidate speaking about a presidential candidate in such terms is problematic,"

**** off.

Commie gets the respect it deserves.
    Yet it is okay to call Trump Hitler and a threat to democracy no disrespect there at all right?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    View attachment 376328
    This gem comes from a Facebook post from one of my unhinged hardcore democrat family members. To our friends in NWI, please take a moment to help me drive her crazy by supporting this gas station! The comments on her post were numerous and in support of her boycott - while all of us know full well that if the station had a Harris banner up, they would fawn over them and collectively praise the station owner. It only works one way for democrats/communists. The Party is everything.
    I'll disagree, comrade.

If the GOP keeps pushing more and more outrageous candidates that only want to shrink the party to just "true conservatives" who have no real useful agenda but grabbing power, then I'm out.

They've been tearing out conservative planks (e.g. pro-life) to build their bonfire. The big tent is turning into a small umbrella. That's not a sustainable winning strategy.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My only opposition to the term RINO, is that those were the standard Republicans at the time. They’re not republicans in name only if that’s what Republicans are. Saying they’re RINO is implying that Republicans are actually conservative.
    Indeed. I still continue to say the new breed cultists are the real RINOs.

They're the ones that replace dignity with vulgarity, eschew character and replaced it with a cult of personalty. Instead of sound policies, the GOP favors populism. Consensus and action has given way to blind opposition. Lust for power is replacing the rule of law. Blind allegiance, fear, willful myopia, belligerence - that's what real RINO's are.

This isn't the party of Lincoln, Roosevelt, or Reagan.

Someone parody the Pretenders' Back to Ohio - the GOP is becoming unrecognizable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'll disagree, comrade.

If the GOP keeps pushing more and more outrageous candidates that only want to shrink the party to just "true conservatives" who have no real useful agenda but grabbing power, then I'm out.

They've been tearing out conservative planks (e.g. pro-life) to build their bonfire. The big tent is turning into a small umbrella. That's not a sustainable winning strategy.
    Abortion is a State issue now.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Abortion is a State issue now.
    So was that the GOP National platform since the 70s? Make Abortion a State issue? I always thought it was a national issue to get votes. Then they got what they wanted and then suddenly it became a state issue.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So was that the GOP National platform since the 70s? Make Abortion a State issue? I always thought it was a national issue to get votes. Then they got what they wanted and then suddenly it became a state issue.
    I don't follow. The court said it was up to the States to decide not the Feds, nor the courts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Indeed. I still continue to say the new breed cultists are the real RINOs.

They're the ones that replace dignity with vulgarity, eschew character and replaced it with a cult of personalty. Instead of sound policies, the GOP favors populism. Consensus and action has given way to blind opposition. Lust for power is replacing the rule of law. Blind allegiance, fear, willful myopia, belligerence - that's what real RINO's are.

Someone parody the Pretenders' Back to Ohio - the GOP is becoming unrecognizable.
    Well, I think the Republican Party has two factions now. The populist/America-first people, and the establishment chamber-o-commerce neocons. It's the latter that has run the party for the past 25 or so years. So when one of those types is called a RINO, that's incorrect, because that is what Republicans were, by and large. They're every bit a Republican.

But (maybe this deserves its own thread) I think you unfairly disparage populists. Now if you're talking about the cult of personality kind of hero adoration of Trump, the only thing I'll push back on is that the adoration is not unearned.

So back to populism. You speak of it as something to shun. I think you perhaps have defined it the same way the establishment has defined it. It's just the idea that regular people, as opposed to society's elites, know best how to conduct their own lives. For example, we don't need elites to tell us to take a vaccine or wear a mask, or lock ourselves in our homes.

Let's put it this way. Populism is self-determination of the people. It is what this nation was founded on. Elitism is what has taken the place of populism as the ethos of the United States.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    You are right to a degree. My hope is that it is on the way to becoming the Constitution party, requiring those running under it's banner to adhere strictly to the Constitution.

That should take care of around 90% of the current administrative state. A good start.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'll disagree, comrade.

What? I mean Trump isn't really a conservative. He has some conservative beliefs, some moderate beliefs, and even some progressive beliefs.

I think the extent to which the umbrella is smaller with Republicans now is a perception more than a reality.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, that's true.

The Democrat war cry about threats to democracy don't hold water. But I do see a threat in a primary system that keeps churning out the most outrageously left and right alternatives.
    Trump wasn't outrageously right wing as POTUS. His policies were pretty middle of the road Republican stuff. Except, with a more America first agenda. Is there a problem with putting America first? Is that really outrageously right wing?

I'll grant that Trump, himself, has an outrageous personality. It causes him to make unforced errors. But in terms of policy, what did he actually do that was radical? Border walls? Back in the day Democrats were for border walls, for **** sake.

You're acting as if Republicans have gone as far right as the Democrats have gone left. And that's simply not true at all. The only way one could make such a case is to re-establish the center to account for how left the left has gotten.

It's like the meme Musk tweeted:

1725072423059.png

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I hear the Party of Lincoln, and I think that's a copout. There isn't a Republican in congress today that holds any of the values of Lincoln, much less even knows what they are. So to hear Republican warmongers lament the bygone years of the Party of Lincoln is just about as disingenuous as they could possibly be.

But anyway, the Party of Lincoln was about as corrupt as it could be. It's not a status to be sought, other than the virtue-signaling they can claim to sound less racist than they are today.

The party of Roosevelt? Teddy? You mean, the populist? I thought you didn't like populists. lol

Honestly, I think Trump is overhyped on both sides. He's not a genius. He's not playing 4D chess. He's not a savior. He is at best a stop-gap. But, he's not evil, or at least he's no more evil than any other president we've had in my lifetime. He's actually not extreme, unless all you listen to is NPR. And if that's all you listen to, you won't have a view of reality outside that bubble.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hear the Party of Lincoln, and I think that's a copout. There isn't a Republican in congress today that holds any of the values of Lincoln, much less even knows what they are. So to hear Republican warmongers lament the bygone years of the Party of Lincoln is just about as disingenuous as they could possibly be.

But anyway, the Party of Lincoln was about as corrupt as it could be. It's not a status to be sought, other than the virtue-signaling they can claim to sound less racist than they are today.
    Curious who these Republican warmongers are in your view.

The party of Roosevelt? Teddy? You mean, the populist? I thought you didn't like populists. lol
    I grabbed names - Nixon didn't seem right.

Honestly, I think Trump is overhyped on both sides. He's not a genius. He's not playing 4D chess. He's not a savior. He is at best a stop-gap. But, he's not evil, or at least he's no more evil than any other president we've had in my lifetime. He's actually not extreme, unless all you listen to is NPR. And if that's all you listen to, you won't have a view of reality outside that bubble.
    I stopped... eh, for the most part. I still like to hear what the other side thinks. Good to get the blood pressure up every now and then.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Trump wasn't outrageously right wing as POTUS. His policies were pretty middle of the road Republican stuff. Except, with a more America first agenda. Is there a problem with putting America first? Is that really outrageously right wing?

I'll grant that Trump, himself, has an outrageous personality. It causes him to make unforced errors. But in terms of policy, what did he actually do that was radical? Border walls? Back in the day Democrats were for border walls, for **** sake.
    Border walls? He never delivered on his promise.
    I don't like his foreign policy - it's purely reactionary. He does everything Democrats don't purely out of some emotional bias. Plus, he seems to have an affinity toward authoritarian regimes and personalities, e.g. Putin, Orban.

I more dislike the cult of personality surrounding him more than he himself. To he followers he can do no wrong. No politician is right on everything yet his followers seem incapable of viewing him critically and decry anyone who takes a close look at him as infected with TDS.

You're acting as if Republicans have gone as far right as the Democrats have gone left. And that's simply not true at all. The only way one could make such a case is to re-establish the center to account for how left the left has gotten.

It's like the meme Musk tweeted:

View attachment 376941
    Oh come on - every you have to admit the GOP moved right - Greene, Bobert, DeSantis, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What? I mean Trump isn't really a conservative. He has some conservative beliefs, some moderate beliefs, and even some progressive beliefs.
    He's whatever it takes to get elected (or into office any way possible). One need only look at his past to see his leftist leanings. He figured out fast that he could become a right wing messiah and adeptly changed his image. So, at least I have to give him kudos there, I guess.

I think the extent to which the umbrella is smaller with Republicans is a perception more than a reality.
    I suppose discarding the pro-life stance is a move to a bigger tent.
    I'd really wish were could open up the GOP to legal immigrants since they, on a majority, hold to traditional Christian values.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I think the Republican Party has two factions now. The populist/America-first people, and the establishment chamber-o-commerce neocons. It's the latter that has run the party for the past 25 or so years. So when one of those types is called a RINO, that's incorrect, because that is what Republicans were, by and large. They're every bit a Republican.

But (maybe this deserves its own thread) I think you unfairly disparage populists. Now if you're talking about the cult of personality kind of hero adoration of Trump, the only thing I'll push back on is that the adoration is not unearned.

So back to populism. You speak of it as something to shun. I think you perhaps have defined it the same way the establishment has defined it. It's just the idea that regular people, as opposed to society's elites, know best how to conduct their own lives. For example, we don't need elites to tell us to take a vaccine or wear a mask, or lock ourselves in our homes.

Let's put it this way. Populism is self-determination of the people. It is what this nation was founded on. Elitism is what has taken the place of populism as the ethos of the United States.
    How TF such an East Coast elitist as Trump became adored by a crowd so set against elitism is amazing.

Top Bottom