• ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'll gladly be that guy.

We are a republic, and the Founders, and eventually the Framers, knew a republic was the best way to preserve natural born rights. Democracies become mob rule. Madison warned against the passions and impulses of the mob in Federalist 10. In a mob, the right of the individual is never considered.

You may think I'm arguing semantics but words have meaning.
    I'm all for that. Care to elaborate what in this thread you were responding to?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The word democracy being flung around feeling in referencing America, politics, and debate.
    So you are objecting to the poster that said, "debating is a tenant of democracy." because we don't have a democracy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Which he should, unless someone starts making a move to get closer to him.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    So you are objecting to the poster that said, "debating is a tenant of democracy." because we don't have a democracy.
    I object any time the word democracy is so freely used when referencing the United States, and it has started popping up in this thread. There are far too many that believe the United States is a democracy, and buy into the (progressive/media/establishment) belief that their only right is a vote. Believing so tramples on the virtue of individual liberty, natural born rights and freedom and dignity of the individual. All of which are the cornerstone of the American Experiment and the seed of American Exceptionalism.

I don't mean to detract from this fine thread, but that's how vitally important it is to understand the difference between a democracy and a Constitutional republic (as the Framers intended). Mr. Franklin's warning is the most famous, "...if you may keep it."

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Which he should, unless someone starts making a move to get closer to him.
    Agreed. At least for now, he's not running against any Republican. He's running against Biden or whomever the Dems run against him.

Prolly a stretch comparison, but my brother-in-law worked for the ad agency whose biggest client was Coke. They never mentioned Pepsi in their ads because in his words, when you're #1, you don't even acknowledge #2. That also holds here, imo.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I object any time the word democracy is so freely used when referencing the United States, and it has started popping up in this thread. There are far too many that believe the United States is a democracy, and buy into the (progressive/media/establishment) belief that their only right is a vote. Believing so tramples on the virtue of individual liberty, natural born rights and freedom and dignity of the individual. All of which are the cornerstone of the American Experiment and the seed of American Exceptionalism.

I don't mean to detract from this fine thread, but that's how vitally important it is to understand the difference between a democracy and a Constitutional republic (as the Framers intended). Mr. Franklin's warning is the most famous, "...if you may keep it."
    Ok I get all that. Then don't mention the word democracy when discussing debates.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Treat it like buying a beer or a rifle.

Chop whatever you want off once you reach legal age.
    I agree with that sentiment. The problem is many of these parents are the ones doing this to their children. Leaving it up to them is not going to make it wait until the children are 18 and able to decide for themselves.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Uhhh, the first presidential debate was Nixon v Kennedy in 1960
    I believe that is incorrect. The first Presidential primary debate occurred in 1948 between Gov. Thomas E. Dewey of New York, versus former Gov. Harold Stassen of Minnesota. It was broadcast live on radio.

"It’s a presidential election year and Oregon finds itself thrust into the national political spotlight. Two candidates prepare to go toe-to-toe in a presidential debate, hoping to win the hearts and minds of the American people."

"But the year isn’t 2020. It’s 1948."

"The contenders: Gov. Thomas E. Dewey of New York, versus former Gov. Harold Stassen of Minnesota. The two men vied to win the Republican nomination just days before the last 1948 presidential primary. The medium: radio broadcast. While the 1960 debate between Richard Nixon and JFK is remembered as the granddaddy of televised presidential debates, this 1948 face-off was the nation’s first-ever live broadcast presidential debate and is often credited with setting the modern standard for such debates."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    While true, the overall point that I was making is there were presidential primary debates prior to 1960. and it was broadcast. So presidential debates weren't unheard of prior to 1960. I will stipulate to the point though that they really didn't become common place until after 1960.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Put the Rush Limbaugh DVD's down. It's causing too many fake burrs up there. :): it’s not wrong to call it a representative democracy. China is a Republic too. I don’t know why conservatives jeep losing their **** over it. It’s almost like Rush Limbaugh declared in 1992 that conservatives should correct anyone who refers to the US as a democracy. And if he did, he’d be full of ****. The US is a Republic because it’s not a monarchy. It’s a representative democracy because we vote for our representatives, who make the laws. We’re just not a direct democracy. We should not infer every use of "democracy" implies "direct".

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I stand corrected, though the larger point remains just as valid. Nixon v Kennedy was the first televised debate
    And one of the early indicators of how television would pervert the world. Radio listeners thought Nixon won, TV viewers (in B&W even) thought Kennedy won.

Top Bottom