• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I think that this thread is not nearly as clever as you think it is.

Every complaint you made about truckers is a valid generalization, and something we all experience. A large percentage of truckers are d-bags. This is because a large percentage of humans are d-bags.

However, there are some important differences that must be considered.

1. Truckers are not given authority over us. Over our bodies, our privacy and our property. We are not required by law to submit to them.

2. Truckers are held to somewhat consistent legal standards. When they screw up, they are not investigated, prosecuted and judged by other truckers.

3. Truckers are trying to do a job that has absolutely nothing to do with me. Interfering in my actions is not the responsibility of a trucker. They don't get a bonus or move closer to a 'quota' every time they introduce more hardships into my life.

4. I am not forced to pay truckers for their services, whether I want them or not.

In truth, the double standard that you were trying to demonstrate with this thread is not actually a double standard. You are comparing apples and oranges.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Aww jeez, now all you superty duper smarter than me guys have ruined my day. My thread really wasn't what I thought it was after all. Shucks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    you are right. its a butthurt thread.

As is every anti LEO thread you post. Unfortunately for you the paid observers on this board have pieced together what has caused you to post these over and over again. You weren't good enough to get this job and you got yourself locked up which has resulted in a gigantic case of butt hurt and now you're obsessed with locating news articles to bring here to INGO.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    As is every anti LEO thread you post. Unfortunately for you the paid observers on this board have pieced together what has caused you to post these over and over again. You weren't good enough to get this job and you got yourself locked up which has resulted in a gigantic case of butt hurt and now you're obsessed with locating news articles to bring here to INGO.
    I'm not disputing your claims here but there is one observation that I have made as a casual observer and that is you seem to be obsessed with his perceived obsession that he may have.

There are alot of threads that he has created that point to bad LEO behavior but it seems like you want to stifle all of that because it makes your particular chosen profession look bad.

I have already stated that I have indeed driven a truck before and I have no problem with d-bag truckers being exposed.

I don't understand why you have such a problem when it concerns bad LEO behaviour. :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well as steveh_131 so brilliantly pointed out, comparing truck drivers to police officers is like comparing apples to oranges. If a truck driver screws up and kills someone, the fault lies with that truck driver. If a police officer screws up and kills someone, the fault lies with all police officers. Read through the threads that Serpico posts. What you will find is a distinct lack of the words "him" or "he". What you will find in abundance are words like "them" and "they".

My problem lies in the fact that there are a precious few here who have a clue. I, as well as others, have attempted to educate the unwashed but most have demonstrated that they prefer to remain ignorant of how things really are and prefer to sit back and continue their ignorant rantings.

My problem lies in the fact that I won't accept blame for things I haven't done as much as some would demand that I do. Those folks can forever kiss my ass and I will continue to provide rebuttal to the ridiculous statements as long as it remains entertaining to me. I don't fit the mold that many here have portrayed and neither do the few hundred friends I have who wear a uniform.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yup!!
    Like I've said before, I can't get any of my LE friends to join here because of the prevailing anti LEO sentiment exhibited by many vociferous posters.
    Why come to a web site to be vilified and scorned when you get 8-10 hours of it every day at work? :dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yup!!
    Like I've said before, I can't get any of my LE friends to join here because of the prevailing anti LEO sentiment exhibited by many vociferous posters.
    Why come to a web site to be vilified and scorned when you get 8-10 hours of it every day at work? :dunno:

I would point out that there are contributing factors to the condition coming from both groups. First, there are plenty of people who would like to live in the absence of enforced laws/rules with impunity and will harbor hostility to any and all who represent an obstacle to that goal in life. Second, there are more than sufficient LEOs who hold to the decades (if not centuries) old us vs. them mentality that pervades the occupation, do not consider the usurpation of power either as given to them to enforce or doing so themselves to be a problem, and consider it the rightful place of law enforcement to be public masters rather than public servants. Most others of us perceive silence as agreement with abuses which do happen, and definitely consider it agreement with abuse when we receive responses tantamount to suggesting that we are either exaggerating or have personally encountered 2 of the 5 bad cops in the lower 48. I would say that the majority of the hostility comes from the perception that LEOs are the direct representatives of those who are actively trashing the Constitution, which is reinforced with the conspicuous absence of any audible call for restraint in police authority and confinement relative to our ever-contracting Constitutional rights.

One of the most pervasive half-truths in our society is the battle cry of the marketing industry: Perception equals reality. This is exactly the point at issue here, regardless of one's position or perspective. If the overwhelming majority of LEO encounters a person has had have been negative to the point of impinging on the integrity and/or lawfulness of the LEO, then one is naturally going to believe the majority of LEOs to be crooked and dirty. Likewise, if the majority of highway encounters with trucks has left you in need of clean undershorts, you are naturally going to believe that most of them are kamikaze pilots. It would be nice to see the animosity alleviated, but I am satisfied that the first step is mutual honesty. In my reckoning it is very similar to the advice I would give to parents complaining that their children do not respect them: If you want respect, the first step is to be respectable. On that note, I am going to present a challenge to everyone: Can you list for me the things found within your own group/profession that you would like to see changed in order to make the profession better, safer, and more effective?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Aww jeez, now all you superty duper smarter than me guys have ruined my day. My thread really wasn't what I thought it was after all. Shucks.

Don't worry. I don't think anyone had high expectations. At least some of your more simple brethren were entertained by it.

Well as steveh_131 so brilliantly pointed out, comparing truck drivers to police officers is like comparing apples to oranges. If a truck driver screws up and kills someone, the fault lies with that truck driver. If a police officer screws up and kills someone, the fault lies with all police officers.

If this is the difference you think I was pointing out, then you did not comprehend what I wrote.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don't worry. I don't think anyone had high expectations. At least some of your more simple brethren were entertained by it.

There were a few entertained and more than a few who took the bait. It's always entertaining how some can dish it out but can't take it.

If this is the difference you think I was pointing out, then you did not comprehend what I wrote.

There are few here who can write above my comprehension level. Your "points" all fall pretty solidly into the "no ****" category when comparing LE to truck drivers. This thread wasn't about comparing LE to truck drivers. It was about painting a large group based on the actions of a few, or trying to point out the problems in doing so. If you believe the differences between truck drivers and police officers justifies the broad brush categorizations then carry on, I'm sorry you missed the point.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This thread wasn't about comparing LE to truck drivers.

Yes, it was.

The goal of this thread was to use two example groups of people and attempt to demonstrate an irrational bias against one and in favor of the other.

But the two groups are not at all equivalent. Therefore, no bias is reflected and this thread fails.

Does an irrational bias exist? Maybe in some people. Does this thread prove it? No.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    what I don't understand is why do folks want to broadly bad-mouth any profession when that profession is represented in a place like INGO where we are all gathered under a common interest?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    what I don't understand is why do folks want to broadly bad-mouth any profession when that profession is represented in a place like INGO where we are all gathered under a common interest?

Since we're generalizing INGO, I think it's safe to say that a lot of us are here in the common interest of liberty and personal safety. Many of us carry firearms to that end.

There's only one segment of the population that can threaten our liberty or safety with very little fear of our firearms.

That's probably why it happens, if it does. To be honest, I don't recall many people saying that every individual officer is evil or corrupt, or that there are no good ones. If they have, then I would gladly disagree with them.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    There were a few entertained and more than a few who took the bait. It's always entertaining how some can dish it out but can't take it.
    I took the bait and got an infraction, but I don't participate in the LEO bashing threads, so this thread is still a big steaming pile of :poop: IMO

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I think many of the folks you are speaking about don't own firearms and have little interest in them aside from the right to bear them remaining protected. They come here to post about politics or to feed an agenda and have little in common with the majority of the members here.

Top Bottom