• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You try a job in which you are expected to be more perfect than God and be able to violate the laws of physics to compensate for other people's stupidity, and still be left holding the bag regardless of circumstances because you are a 'professional' and then tell me how that works out for you.

Awesome statement. Could possibly apply to other professions as well, no?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Cute.

I'm really looking forward to people here asking me questions about why we do some of the crap we do. Honestly, you're not going to offend me (pretending you care), and I think you'll be surprised at some of the answers.

I'm not someone who thinks truckers are always right and never do anything wrong, and I know there are truckers who do certain things intentionally just because there's a serious "us against them" mentality on both sides.

I'll be standing by. :D
    Welcome to the forum.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Awesome statement. Could possibly apply to other professions as well, no?

Absolutely, including the one you find in the mirror. I generally have only two arguments against police, which are violation of rights and acting as revenue collectors rather than agents of public safety. My general distrust of police is strictly the product of my overall personal experiences, although I certainly do not wish to paint all with the same brush, even though that is often the perceived effect when one starts telling stories of bad incidents past. In fact, there are some I hold in high regard. Pertaining to those near you, I cannot really say much one way or the other about IMPD. I have had issues with the airport police, but found their supervisors to be very reasonable afterwards. Plainfield is great! The Mooresville PD had better pray that they never need so much as for me to **** on them to put them out after they catch fire. In my original home of Brazil, I believe I would take my chances with the criminals before calling. Of course, I don't have much use for those I encounter while working since they have little purpose other than converting my dollar into their dollar, including and especially for technical issues that do not directly involve the operation of a vehicle, safe or otherwise. Needless to say, this had contributed much of the negative value to my opinion. An all-time favorite happened with a Warrick County deputy who stopped my for a headlight which was out. He ended up giving me some good information about a completely unrelated subject after I responded to his inquiries with what had to have been one of the wildest stories he has ever heard (which was absolutely true, even if, well, unusual).

medic92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    ive about had enough. i think im gonna hang out with paul blart for a few years to get my feet wet. maybe get some lessons from gecko 45 then its upward and onwards. i cant wait for my first crew cut.

If you're looking to learn to drive a truck, you have to forget the crew cut.

Steps to becoming a truck driver:

1: Practice at home by cutting your showering down to once every 2-3 days.

2: Do NOT use the bathroom until you've almost ruined a pair of shorts, then drive your car around the block two or three times before parking and THEN wait for other people to get out of the bathroom before you go.

3: Get a wallet on a chain.

4: Practice important communication skills, especially those that only require simple sign language. Get a hand squeezing exerciser and work with it to make sure you can get that middle finger up lightning fast.

5: Get a leather belt with your name on it.

6: Grow some facial hair. Not a neatly trimmed mustache or beard. Let it get long and ragged. You want to fit in at the truck stop!

7. Lie. About everything. Lie about how long it takes you to get to work, lie about how far you can drive on a tank of fuel, lie about how much you paid for your car.

8: Go to a restaurant you don't like and eat food that you normally wouldn't feed your cat. Practice your lying with people around you and hit on ugly waitresses.

9: Work on developing the attitude that YOU are the only person on earth that knows how to drive any vehicle at all. Keep in mind, everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

Next we'll start getting into some of the more common trucker lingo. You don't want to be embarrassed when someone mentions a pickle park and you don't know what it is. :D

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    If you're looking to learn to drive a truck, you have to forget the crew cut.

Steps to becoming a truck driver:

1: Practice at home by cutting your showering down to once every 2-3 days.

2: Do NOT use the bathroom until you've almost ruined a pair of shorts, then drive your car around the block two or three times before parking and THEN wait for other people to get out of the bathroom before you go.

3: Get a wallet on a chain.

4: Practice important communication skills, especially those that only require simple sign language. Get a hand squeezing exerciser and work with it to make sure you can get that middle finger up lightning fast.

5: Get a leather belt with your name on it.

6: Grow some facial hair. Not a neatly trimmed mustache or beard. Let it get long and ragged. You want to fit in at the truck stop!

7. Lie. About everything. Lie about how long it takes you to get to work, lie about how far you can drive on a tank of fuel, lie about how much you paid for your car.

8: Go to a restaurant you don't like and eat food that you normally wouldn't feed your cat. Practice your lying with people around you and hit on ugly waitresses.

9: Work on developing the attitude that YOU are the only person on earth that knows how to drive any vehicle at all. Keep in mind, everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

Next we'll start getting into some of the more common trucker lingo. You don't want to be embarrassed when someone mentions a pickle park and you don't know what it is. :D
    you drive for swift? dont lose your gps they will lay you off until you get another one.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I drove for England for four months and that's all I could take. Their dispatchers are worthless. Arriving within 20 miles of the drop 36 hours early and being told you have to wait and just run it in because they can't get a swap or drop yard is OK when it only happens occasionally, or when you're in the black hole at Laredo, but almost weekly is just unacceptable. That's just the tip of the iceberg too. Horrible company.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I have worked on the dock for Carolina Freight and ABF for the last 20 years and know many over the road and local drivers. Most are great hard working people I am proud to work with. The few bad ones are the ones that make the news and that we hear about. There are many miles logged by professional courteous drivers for every bad driver experience.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I'm not trying to single any one out, and this is really just me venting, but ...........I own a farm at the intersection of a State and US highway, there's a little gravel area to pull off the side of the road, could you drivers please quit throwing you fxxxing pee bottles out in my field and ditch? Thank you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This has been awesome. I think I've heard just about every statement made then ridiculed (in other threads) about how the good outnumber the bad and how someone shouldn't allow the few to spoil the many. Strange how they haven't been argued in this thread though. Hmmmm, things to ponder.....

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    This has been awesome. I think I've heard just about every statement made then ridiculed (in other threads) about how the good outnumber the bad and how someone shouldn't allow the few to spoil the many. Strange how they haven't been argued in this thread though. Hmmmm, things to ponder.....

It was stated before in this thread. You just chose to ignore it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You will note that I, for one, never said that the good outnumber the bad. At minimum, I am not convinced, and will admit that there are plenty of legitimate grievances. Really, that level of general honesty is all I expect of anyone. All things considered, it has been an interesting thread and generated a great deal of relevant discussion. Good work phylodog!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Don't worry Phylo... It's not the first time that he's found someone to latch onto and twist words.

Did you ignore post 59. The guy spoke up for truck drivers and Poly went off on him.

Try post 70 .

How about post 98?
    I still think that the majority of them don't participate in this kind of road rage. Most do seem to be just trying to do the job by getting to where they need to go.

Post 119 ;

. There used to be truckers like that. And men like my dad. ( and there still are, in lots of places)

So don't say I twisted anyones words. They themselves have stuck up for good truckers, just as many do on INGO for good cops!

"This is what is really the truth : " This smacks of a get even butthurt thread at the expense of truckers...I could be wrong though..:popcorn:"

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Did you ignore post 59. The guy spoke up for truck drivers and Poly went off on him.

Try post 70 .

How about post 98?

Post 119 ;

So don't say I twisted anyones words. They themselves have stuck up for good truckers, just as many do on INGO for good cops!

"This is what is really the truth : " This smacks of a get even butthurt thread at the expense of truckers...I could be wrong though..:popcorn:"
    you are right. its a butthurt thread.

Top Bottom