• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I take it you avoid the threads in the break room where people are talking about their man crushes on pro athletes, actors, and musicians. I'd be willing to bet most aren't dem voters since a good portion of this website will vote for any turd with an (R) next to their name.

Well...I do not spend a lot of time in the break room. However, I feel fairly certain that most folks on this website do not vote for any politician because one of their heroes endorses the individual.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What kind of legal protection does she not have?

She cannot get legally married and they've spent 23 years together. Let's say they've accumulated a sizable estate and they choose to leave it to each other when one passes. You think it's never occurred that the "legal" next of kin has not challenged a will and gotten the inheritance over the beneficiary the will designates it too?

The above also happens with heterosexual unmarried couples. It also happens with medical decisions with gay couples. Blood relatives take them to court to fight it and sometimes win. Marriage gives partners in a marriage greater legal protection.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    She cannot get legally married and they've spent 23 years together. Let's say they've accumulated a sizable estate and they choose to leave it to each other when one passes. You think it's never occurred that the "legal" next of kin has not challenged a will and gotten the inheritance over the beneficiary the will designates it too?

The above also happens with heterosexual unmarried couples. It also happens with medical decisions with gay couples. Blood relatives take them to court to fight it and sometimes win. Marriage gives partners in a marriage greater legal protection.

^^^This hits the nail on the head. There have been many horror stories of gay couples who weren't allowed to see their dying loved ones because the families wouldn't allow it. I personally know of a couple in which one died and his partner wasn't even allowed to attend his funeral. Or, where a family comes in and wipes out everything the couple has amassed over the years from the surviving partner. It doesn't get much uglier than that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^^^This hits the nail on the head. There have been many horror stories of gay couples who weren't allowed to see their dying loved ones because the families wouldn't allow it. I personally know of a couple in which one died and his partner wasn't even allowed to attend his funeral. Or, where a family comes in and wipes out everything the couple has amassed over the years from the surviving partner. It doesn't get much uglier than that.

And in case of there not being a will, I believe the "widow's third" is the legal standard.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I am sure there are conservative, Christian white people who are discriminated against, but since those are not "protected" classes there is no recourse.

The idea was supposed to be equal rights for all not special rights for some.

What "special" rights are you speaking of?

I don't expect anyone to accept anything. I've met plenty of married people that have no business being together, but at the end of the day, it's none of my business.

The conservative, Christian white people you mentioned aren't on the brink of having discriminatory language added to their state's Constitution.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What "special" rights are you speaking of?

I don't expect anyone to accept anything. I've met plenty of married people that have no business being together, but at the end of the day, it's none of my business.

The conservative, Christian white people you mentioned aren't on the brink of having discriminatory language added to their state's Constitution.

I have no issues with you having legal protection, and have no issues with you and your partner wanting to be together and Im happy that 2 people have that kind of happiness. To me marriage is between a man and a woman...thats my belief and thats what I am sticking too. I see it all over TV, movies, news, radio, social media how I need to support this and if I dont then I dont believe in equal rights and I am a bad person.

Another thing I see is gay couples throw around the fact of divorce. Yes its true people get married when they shouldnt have, is this going to change with gays getting married somehow? I see gay couples that have no business being together as well, regardless of my stance on marriage. At my place of employment we have a lot of gay couples male and female, and I see or hear about all these issues that are really no different than a relationship between a man and a woman. I work in the IT and when I am working on PC's or such I over hear things....Im not snooping!!! I believe it was touched upon in a previous post but I feel that the reason why divorce is so high is mostly because of how children are raised, yes there are other instances I will agree. But there are to many people who throw around the idea of marriage way to much, to many young people getting married or people getting married for the wrong reason. These people do not truly know what it takes to be married and the time and effort that goes into it (Not saying you or your partner do not know). Just because heterosexuals make mistakes does not mean gays wont either, so really that point holds no water.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have no issues with you having legal protection, and have no issues with you and your partner wanting to be together and Im happy that 2 people have that kind of happiness. To me marriage is between a man and a woman...thats my belief and thats what I am sticking too. I see it all over TV, movies, news, radio, social media how I need to support this and if I dont then I dont believe in equal rights and I am a bad person.

Another thing I see is gay couples throw around the fact of divorce. Yes its true people get married when they shouldnt have, is this going to change with gays getting married somehow? I see gay couples that have no business being together as well, regardless of my stance on marriage. At my place of employment we have a lot of gay couples male and female, and I see or hear about all these issues that are really no different than a relationship between a man and a woman. I work in the IT and when I am working on PC's or such I over hear things....Im not snooping!!! I believe it was touched upon in a previous post but I feel that the reason why divorce is so high is mostly because of how children are raised, yes there are other instances I will agree. But there are to many people who throw around the idea of marriage way to much, to many young people getting married or people getting married for the wrong reason. These people do not truly know what it takes to be married and the time and effort that goes into it (Not saying you or your partner do not know). Just because heterosexuals make mistakes does not mean gays wont either, so really that point holds no water.

That's not the point being made about heterosexual divorce. The point is for a crowd of people to act as though marriage is so sacred, they aren't themselves treating it as such.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    That's not the point being made about heterosexual divorce. The point is for a crowd of people to act as though marriage is so sacred, they aren't themselves treating it as such.

Usually the ones who do treat it as such are the ones that feel it is sacred.

The ones who dont treat marriage as being sacred are usually the ones getting the divorce.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Usually the ones who do treat it as such are the ones that feel it is sacred.

The ones who dont treat marriage as being sacred are usually the ones getting the divorce.

I'm sure there's plenty of those who've been divorced that want a gay marriage ban.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just for the record, I started this thread because I laughed at the top ten reasons given in the OP. I had no intention of opening a debate on gay marriage.

Again, for the record, I am adamantly opposed to gay marriage for several reasons
    1. Linguistics. Marriage has been defined as the relationship between one man and one woman for thousands of years. To sanction gay marriage requires a new definition of the word.

2. Anthropology. To the best of my knowledge, even cultures that sanctioned homosexual liaisons did not call such relationships marriage. Another term was used.

3. Religion. The Spirit whom I worship and serve forbids such behavior. Under no circumstances will I ever sanction such relationships. Folks can do as they like, but I will not sanction such behavior and I will not call it "marriage."

4. Sociology. Traditional marriage has been the foundation of nearly all societies. Changing the definition of marriage requires dramatic changes in society to make it work. I do not believe those changes will be beneficial for society.

5. Etc.

I can give reasons from the political, legal, adaptational, and technological subsystems of culture if necessary, but it would be pointless. These reasons are sufficient for me. I recognize that those who disagree with me will have counterpoints for each of my reasons. Fine. I refuse to debate the issue. I simply state my beliefs for the record.

I launched it hoping to bring a bit of laughter to INGO at the expense of the Democratic Party and its supporters. I assumed that since folks have been doing this at the expense of George W. Bush for the last fifteen years, it was acceptable. I will not return to this thread. Y'all have a good time.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN

I never said that gay people won't have troubles in their relationships, or for those who marry, won't end up divorce. We are no better (or worse) than anyone else, and we are all human. My point is that people talk about the sanctity of marriage, yet I bet some of those same people divorce like its their job.

Although we differ greatly on this issue, I respect your beliefs about marriage. You have at least been respectful with your comments.

Over the years, i have read and heard some extremely vile comments about gay people in general. I have personally been discriminated against in various businesses over the years. Some of it discreetly, some not. I'm not looking for a pity party. However, people can only take so much. People get angry. Perhaps that is why some push the issue of forcing a business to bake them a damn cake. I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why they might do it.

Sorry for the rant. It's been a long day and my wine cabinet is empty.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    That is just it, they do not care if we as individuals accept them, they want the same protection provided by the State that married couples get. In some states couples do not even have to get married, they still have common law marriage.

We have a gay member here who has been in the same relationship for 23 years, why does her and her partner not deserve the same legal protection as anyone else?

I have read many posts from that member. If more gay people were like that there would not be an issue, but I am sure you know many are trying to force beliefs on others like teaching its normal in school. What will they teach next? Swinging is normal? I believe there probably are about as many swingers out there as gays.

My beliefs against gay marriage are based on my religion. Other than that as long as I do not have to vote for it I am fine with gays getting marriage rights at the state levels. I do not think it should be up to robbed monarchs to legislate from the bench.

You asked an opinion so I gave it. In the reality I realize all gay people are not out there trying to agitate. From what I have seen of gay people trying to agitate it will only be a matter of time before a couple try to force a clergy to marry them against their will or at a min use church facilities to do it. That is where we all know this will head and that is what I have issue with.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have read many posts from that member. If more gay people were like that there would not be an issue, but I am sure you know many are trying to force beliefs on others like teaching its normal in school. What will they teach next? Swinging is normal? I believe there probably are about as many swingers out there as gays.

My beliefs against gay marriage are based on my religion. Other than that as long as I do not have to vote for it I am fine with gays getting marriage rights at the state levels. I do not think it should be up to robbed monarchs to legislate from the bench.

You asked an opinion so I gave it. In the reality I realize all gay people are not out there trying to agitate. From what I have seen of gay people trying to agitate it will only be a matter of time before a couple try to force a clergy to marry them against their will or at a min use church facilities to do it. That is where we all know this will head and that is what I have issue with.

Which is why the state needs to get out of the marriage business or redefine it themselves. Let anyone who wants to get married do it in a church or a justice of the peace or in a friggin barn, man and woman, woman and woman, or man and man, then they can all just get a license from the state saying they have a civil union. TADA, problem solved, the state no longer recognizes marriages, it recognizes unions between two consenting adults and they get all the rights that go along with it.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I never said that gay people won't have troubles in their relationships, or for those who marry, won't end up divorce. We are no better (or worse) than anyone else, and we are all human. My point is that people talk about the sanctity of marriage, yet I bet some of those same people divorce like its their job.

Although we differ greatly on this issue, I respect your beliefs about marriage. You have at least been respectful with your comments.

Over the years, i have read and heard some extremely vile comments about gay people in general. I have personally been discriminated against in various businesses over the years. Some of it discreetly, some not. I'm not looking for a pity party. However, people can only take so much. People get angry. Perhaps that is why some push the issue of forcing a business to bake them a damn cake. I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why they might do it.

Indygal you sound like a really nice person and I wish you happiness. You at least respect those who don't agree with you and like you said it appears there is civility here in the issue. it does not sound like you are calling people bigots over their religion.

I will say something ( maybe you can enlighten me) I never got about gay people. Why do men wear angel costumes and march in parades? I just don't get it the funny outfits and all that. You don't see straight people doing it so that is one reason I don't see it as normal and I don't mean that in an offensive manner. I am seriously asking a question.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle

I no longer drink but Jim Bean, Makers mark and Jack Daniels have very relaxing properties.

Top Bottom