• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wow. So he could hang it over a smoke alarm or an emergency light? A little too black/white there. Clearly there is an acceptable alternative for OP as he's putting it on a pole (as I suggested). I'm just surprised that couldn't be worked out without a news crew as mediator.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wow. So he could hang it over a smoke alarm or an emergency light? A little too black/white there. Clearly there is an acceptable alternative for OP as he's putting it on a pole (as I suggested). I'm just surprised that couldn't be worked out without a news crew as mediator.

Chalk up another reason I'd burn my house down before I'd rent it to others.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Chalk up another reason I'd burn my house down before I'd rent it to others.

naw... it's a great investment. Just have to screen tenants well.

WRT the original situation, I agree with HoosierDoc. The guest appearance by the Drama Llama could probably have been avoided in this case, with a little bit of communication. And it likely would have been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Again - I'm all for the OP being able to display the flag. And for the reasons that many have mentioned. I don't know WHY the landlord/agent didn't want it done. But it never hurts to ask and find out why before hitting the OH_MY_[Deity_Of_Choice]_Holy_Carp_We're_all_gonna_die_BBQ button.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Tbere are NO "acceptable alternatives" there is a US Flag code for a reason. Because it is the symbol of our great nation and there is nothing "acceptable" other than what is written in the US Flag Code PERIOD!
    No company private or not should have the ability to tell ANYONE that they cannot fly the symbol of this country as long as the US Flag Code is followed. I don't care if they own the property or not I and many other people have spilled blood and lost lives for what OUR flag stands for.
    I am glad the OP took it to the news and expossd these unpatriotic bas*&#@s. Maybe it will make others think twice before doing the same. I am proud to fly the flag 24/7 properlh displayed and well lit and it makes me even more proud when I see others flying the flag as well.
    The best part is when you see a foreign company flying their flags with the Stars and Stripes above their home country's flag!!!

You mean that they don't?

Apparently they do.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Tbere are NO "acceptable alternatives" there is a US Flag code for a reason. Because it is the symbol of our great nation and there is nothing "acceptable" other than what is written in the US Flag Code PERIOD!
    No company private or not should have the ability to tell ANYONE that they cannot fly the symbol of this country as long as the US Flag Code is followed. I don't care if they own the property or not I and many other people have spilled blood and lost lives for what OUR flag stands for.
    I am glad the OP took it to the news and expossd these unpatriotic bas*&#@s. Maybe it will make others think twice before doing the same. I am proud to fly the flag 24/7 properlh displayed and well lit and it makes me even more proud when I see others flying the flag as well.
    The best part is when you see a foreign company flying their flags with the Stars and Stripes above their home country's flag!!!

That whole tirade makes me want to display one improperly and send the pics to you.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've had the opportunity to rent out 3 different houses. My brother and I inherited my parents and grandmother's houses. I told him if he wanted to keep them and rent them, he was buying me out. I sat on my old house for a year before it sold. I had people ask about renting it and there was no way in hell.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    That whole tirade makes me want to display one improperly and send the pics to you.

I will fly mine the proper way for these current times...

upside-down-flag1.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There's an old cemetery a mile and a half down the road. Someone put about 6 flags near the sign and at least 3-4 of them laying down on the ground. There isn't a puppy within a hundred miles that hasn't been kicked because of it.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Why would I want to rent to people who think they have a constitutional right to damage my property?

"Property" isn't just one right, it's a bundle of them. The process of renting it to someone transfers some portion of your property rights in return for rent, which is the premium you receive for doing so.

In other words, you're being compensated for exchanging some of your property rights to others. That's what rent is. It also means, that at least for that period of time, it is not exclusively your property, in the sense that you've transferred perhaps the most important right--possession--to someone else in exchange for money.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "Property" isn't just one right, it's a bundle of them. The process of renting it to someone transfers some portion of your property rights in return for rent, which is the premium you receive for doing so.

In other words, you're being compensated for exchanging some of your property rights to others. That's what rent is. It also means, that at least for that period of time, it is not exclusively your property, in the sense that you've transferred perhaps the most important right--possession--to someone else in exchange for money.

So am I transferring the right to damage my property?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    How much damage can a flag holder do? Seriously, they are at most four holes. If mounted properly, the most you would have to do is fill four holes. That is what a security deposit is for. Even if mounted wrong, they are not heavy enough to do much damage.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How much damage can a flag holder do? Seriously, they are at most four holes. If mounted properly, the most you would have to do is fill four holes. That is what a security deposit is for. Even if mounted wrong, they are not heavy enough to do much damage.

Let's say the average tenant turn over is 2 years. In 10 years, how many satellite dishes, flag poles, bird feeders, Christmas decorations and the like are going to be hung from that building?

ETA: Also, what if the tenant runs a screw into an electrical wire or other things?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    So am I transferring the right to damage my property?

No, you are transferring some of your property rights. So you are incorrect to conclude that it's "your" property. If someone else has a leasehold interest, your ownership is subject to that interest. And the law regulates what rights you must transfer along with that lease, some of which might involve use of your property that you deem 'damaging.'

So in effect, yes. If you want to earn the rent that comes from leasing your property, the person to which you rent it has certain rights, among them, to use, cause normal wear and tear, possession, etc. I'm pretty sure that's common sense to anyone who has rented, and that's the risk you take, as a landlord, in return for rent. Nobody said it was utopia. Renting is just like any other business, and it involves risk.

Top Bottom