• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm continually amused that people want to use government to create laws and regulations to govern what others do with their property and then think their properties should be immune from it.

If they can regulate your grass, they can regulate your flag.

Strangely enough, no one here has yet suggested there oughta be a law.

I would not put it past the legislature, however.
    It doesn't matter. He never passes up an opportunity to create an issue that doesn't exist he can make his holier-than-thou disparagements.

This, the library thread. Don't even think about a football thread...unless he creates it.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    My HOA has rules that supposedly regulate me flying my flag. When I put it up, my wife reminded me that I should send in a change form before putting it up. I kindly reminded her that it would be a cold day in hell before I ever asked anyone to fly my flag, period. The management company might be out to get rid of PITA tenants, but they're about to get more than they bargained for.

Under the federal Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, no condo, co-op, or homeowner association can restrict its owners from displaying the U.S. flag on their property, but may place reasonable restrictions on the time, place, and manner of the display to protect a "substantial" interest of the association.

While this law doesn't apply to a tenant-landlord relationship, reviewing one's lease may provide insight. Self expression is not typically and expressly prohibited within the renter's contract, if it conforms and is within the bounds of reasonable controls.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    IMO if these new renters will not allow you to fly the flag previously For any business that has a problem with me displaying the American flag, will not get my support or money. I flew a flag every day and on every base i was at overseas. The American flag is very near and dear to me, as it is to many others. When you neglect someone the right to fly a Flag not only are you taking away a right, but also a symbol of the many rights given to said individual by being a citizen of the USA. IMO.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It doesn't matter. He never passes up an opportunity to create an issue that doesn't exist he can make his holier-than-thou disparagements.

This, the library thread. Don't even think about a football thread...unless he creates it.

Care to rebuff my statements or do you just want to complain about me to others?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Under the federal Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, no condo, co-op, or homeowner association can restrict its owners from displaying the U.S. flag on their property, but may place reasonable restrictions on the time, place, and manner of the display to protect a "substantial" interest of the association.

While this law doesn't apply to a tenant-landlord relationship, reviewing one's lease may provide insight. Self expression is not typically and expressly prohibited within the renter's contract, if it conforms and is within the bounds of reasonable controls.

So they're part way there.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I used to have a flag flying out of the window of my apartment. I came home one day to see the flag on my bed. Then a week later I got a bill in the mail to pay for the screen window they had to replace.

I took out the screen so that I could get the flag in the window and the old screen was in my closet. So I taped the bill to the old screen and left it in the office for them.

Never heard any more from that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is there anywhere in the rental agreement that specifically states the tennant can fly a flag? If not, what legal leg is there to stand on here?

One of my favorite lines from **** My Dad Says.
    "If you want an inside dog, get your own inside".

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Anyways, Fox 59 will be here in the morning to interview me. I talked with the leasing agent, as expected, she's just following orders. I have so many people willing and ready to back me. It's just not about me either. It's about everyone that wants to proudly display the flag of our Nation. To many people just want to conform, to afraid to offend or **** someone off. I'm going to make a stand, win or loose, I'll hold my head high.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Is there anywhere in the rental agreement that specifically states the tennant can fly a flag? If not, what legal leg is there to stand on here?

One of my favorite lines from **** My Dad Says.
    "If you want an inside dog, get your own inside".

"Is there anywhere in the rental agreement that specifically states the tennant can NOT fly a flag? If not, what legal leg is there to stand on here?"

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "Is there anywhere in the rental agreement that specifically states the tennant can NOT fly a flag? If not, what legal leg is there to stand on here?"

Who is the property owner? The OP or the new owner? The OP was asked how the flag was displayed and if he answered that question, I missed it. Could it be that it's mounted on the side of the building and the owner doesn't want his tenants drilling holes in the side of the building?

I personally think it's stupid that a rental company would ban flags but as property owners, that's their right. I'm certainly not going to get involved in an internet smear campaign against a business owner over hearsay.

My employee handbook doesn't say I can't take 10 breaks a day so does that mean I can? If I were a renter and flying a flag was so important to me, I would ask that question before signing a lease and get it in writing.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Who is the property owner? The OP or the new owner? The OP was asked how the flag was displayed and if he answered that question, I missed it. Could it be that it's mounted on the side of the building and the owner doesn't want his tenants drilling holes in the side of the building?

I personally think it's stupid that a rental company would ban flags but as property owners, that's their right. I'm certainly not going to get involved in an internet smear campaign against a business owner over hearsay.

My employee handbook doesn't say I can't take 10 breaks a day so does that mean I can? If I were a renter and flying a flag was so important to me, I would ask that question before signing a lease and get it in writing.

A lease is a legal contract, binding for the length of time listed. If a provision regarding flags does not exist in the lease, then the landlord can issue an addendum and request it be signed. However, it is my understanding from the short time I spent Managing Apartments, that technically, the tenant can refuse to sign the Addendum, and the original lease conditions would still apply for the length of that lease..

IMHO, IANAL, IDNSAAHELN

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'm certainly not going to get involved in an internet smear campaign against a business owner over hearsay.

It's not hearsay. You are getting it firsthand from a participant/witness.

Hearsay is generally inadmissable in court, but odds are you rely on it every day, without giving it a second thought.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

To me, and it seems to most of the posters here, the issue doesn't lie in whether or not they can legally prevent him from doing so. The real issue is that they told him not to fly his flag, and we don't like it, so we are taking action in an effort to change their minds. It's how the free market works. :dunno:

Top Bottom