• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    U.S.Patriot, let us know if and when you would like to have a little get together at your place. Maybe rent out the community room , if one exists.
    Seriously, tell Fox59 too, they can see what true Patriots think about this!
    Keep us informed! I will stand with you!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Who is the property owner? The OP or the new owner? The OP was asked how the flag was displayed and if he answered that question, I missed it. Could it be that it's mounted on the side of the building and the owner doesn't want his tenants drilling holes in the side of the building?

I personally think it's stupid that a rental company would ban flags but as property owners, that's their right. I'm certainly not going to get involved in an internet smear campaign against a business owner over hearsay.

My employee handbook doesn't say I can't take 10 breaks a day so does that mean I can? If I were a renter and flying a flag was so important to me, I would ask that question before signing a lease and get it in writing.

Ownership isn't 100% of the law. Contractual interests and possession is a large part of it as well.

The mere display of the flag isn't the issue, but rather the OP's 1A right to expression.......and so long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of others, I still don't see a real problem.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ownership isn't 100% of the law. Contractual interests and possession is a large part of it as well.

The mere display of the flag isn't the issue, but rather the OP's 1A right to expression.......and so long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of others, I still don't see a real problem.

This story is WAY too short on details for me to polish my pitchfork and start marching. How it is being displayed has been addressed more than once and it hasn't been answered. It wouldn't take very many tenants mounting satelite dishes and flag mounts on the side of a building to have the siding and trim trashed.

Again, what does the currently signed lease state about flags? If the flag is hanging off the side of the building, does the lease forbid mounting stuff to the building?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This story is WAY too short on details for me to polish my pitchfork and start marching. How it is being displayed has been addressed more than once and it hasn't been answered.

I agree, many are getting riled up with a small amount of details. I posted a direct question asking how it is being displayed and offered a solution that wouldn't touch the building if that was an issue.

Could also be a fire thing. If so, offer to get one out of fire resistent material if it exists?

Everyone getting excited about this is expecting the owners to fold on their demand after the news story. What if they don't? Should still be working on a different solution and we'll need some more info to help on that (if you would need any)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    First, there is nothing in my contract that says I can not fly an American Flag. Second, It was flown on my patio, the area I'm responsible for taking care of according to the management. It was not a danger, or in anyones way. I was given no other valid reason why. Other than management said so. I was not the only one asked to remove their flag either. As I talked with some of my neighbors yesterday.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    By on your patio, do you mean freestanding or attached to a wall?

Were other things like non-US flags or other decorations displayed in a similar fashion also asked to be removed? Was anything allowed to stay against the new rules imposed?

I want to support you and spread the word but just need a few more details.

Could you post a pic?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    This story is WAY too short on details for me to polish my pitchfork and start marching. How it is being displayed has been addressed more than once and it hasn't been answered. It wouldn't take very many tenants mounting satelite dishes and flag mounts on the side of a building to have the siding and trim trashed.

Again, what does the currently signed lease state about flags? If the flag is hanging off the side of the building, does the lease forbid mounting stuff to the building?

As I've stated before, so long as he exercises his right, without unreasonably infringing upon the rights of others.......including the property rights of the property owner.........who or what is he harming?

You seem intent upon the property owner always having the last say, despite the fact that a tenant has a right to his peaceful enjoyment to his own home, without being hassled by the landlord. Given your rationale, an apartment complex could forbid anyone from doing anything that isn't specifically addresses within a lease contract.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    As I've stated before, so long as he exercises his right, without unreasonably infringing upon the rights of others.......including the property rights of the property owner.........who or what is he harming?

You seem intent upon the property owner always having the last say, despite the fact that a tenant has a right to his peaceful enjoyment to his own home, without being hassled by the landlord. Given your rationale, an apartment complex could forbid anyone from doing anything that isn't specifically addresses within a lease contract.

Again, we don't have the full story. I'm not polishing my pitchfork without it.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I hope there is at least one head shake during your interview.
    shakehead.gif

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They interviewed the leasing agent. She said, I can fly a flag as long as the pole is in the ground. Yet, "I" received no such clarification. If I would have from the get go, then it would have been settled there. Did they say it, because they where being intrviewed who knows. I'll know when my new flag goes up.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They interviewed the leasing agent. She said, I can fly a flag as long as the pole is in the ground. Yet, "I" received no such clarification. If I would have from the get go, then it would have been settled there. Did they say it, because they where being intrviewed who knows. I'll know when my new flag goes up.

Did you ask the agent for acceptable alternatives to be able to display the flag? This all seems like poor communication being highlighted as a news story

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Did you ask the agent for acceptable alternatives to be able to display the flag? This all seems like poor communication being highlighted as a news story

Tbere are NO "acceptable alternatives" there is a US Flag code for a reason. Because it is the symbol of our great nation and there is nothing "acceptable" other than what is written in the US Flag Code PERIOD!
    No company private or not should have the ability to tell ANYONE that they cannot fly the symbol of this country as long as the US Flag Code is followed. I don't care if they own the property or not I and many other people have spilled blood and lost lives for what OUR flag stands for.
    I am glad the OP took it to the news and expossd these unpatriotic bas*&#@s. Maybe it will make others think twice before doing the same. I am proud to fly the flag 24/7 properlh displayed and well lit and it makes me even more proud when I see others flying the flag as well.
    The best part is when you see a foreign company flying their flags with the Stars and Stripes above their home country's flag!!!

Top Bottom