• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you know the timing of their vaccinations and infection? Is A in the mix this year?

No I don't. There's likely at least one A in there but I don't follow what exactly is in there. If you contract the flu it's just not supposed to get you as sick if you're gotten some partial immunization. We'll see :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No I don't. There's likely at least one A in there but I don't follow what exactly is in there. If you contract the flu it's just not supposed to get you as sick if you're gotten some partial immunization. We'll see :)

Maybe I missed it, but what's your recommendation doc?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Do you know the timing of their vaccinations and infection? Is A in the mix this year?

It's typically two A strains and a B strain in the trivalent (standard) vaccine. The quadrivalent adds a second B strain but isn't used much.

Here is the info from the CDC:

Influenza Virus Strains in the 2014-2015 VaccinesTrivalent formulations will contain these strains:
    A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like
    A/Texas/50/2012 (H3N2)-like
    B/Massachusetts/2/2012-like (Yamagata lineage)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/flu-hcp-info.pdf

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe I missed it, but what's your recommendation doc?

I keep going back and forth. Your odds of dying from the flu is about one in 4-500,000 per year. Is that worth vaccinating millions of people? If I never get a flu shot and I live 100 years, i would have a 0.02% lifetime risk of dying of influenza. You have to give 71 adults the flu shot to reduce one person from getting the flu. That suggests that in my lifetime I would save myself from getting the flu ONCE despite one hundred flu shots. So... I honestly don't see the benefit in a healthy person.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep going back and forth. Your odds of dying from the flu is about one in 4-500,000 per year. Is that worth vaccinating millions of people? If I never get a flu shot and I live 100 years, i would have a 0.02% lifetime risk of dying of influenza. You have to give 71 adults the flu shot to reduce one person from getting the flu. That suggests that in my lifetime I would save myself from getting the flu ONCE despite one hundred flu shots. So... I honestly don't see the benefit in a healthy person.

I have the Barney Fife of immune systems. Sure, it means well and it tries to do its job, but I'm not confident that it has the capability.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope. Not unless I'm too young or too old to fight off the flu if I get it. Source was already provided on page 1, but it's just not effective enough for me to get it at this point in my life. And if I do get the flu, I'm just going to puke a bunch and be sick. I'm not going to die from it (at this point in my life anyway. I'll reconsider once I'm 50+).

Also, last years article in the BMJ scared me out of it a bit. It's not scientific evidence by any means, but I think it opens up debate on risks. I just don't think enough is known about it to justify injecting it into my body every year for my whole life, especially when I'm in my 20s now and not at any significant risk of death from the flu. Hell, I'm more likely to trip on the sidewalk and die from a concussion, but I'm sure as hell not going to wear a helmet walking down the street. And the potential long term risk of helmet wearing on my health is likely much lower than getting immunized for the flu every year.
    Influenza: marketing vaccine by marketing disease | The BMJ

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd like to see the age based percentages, and data showing there wasn't other underlying causes.

Like I said, I'm more likely to trip, get a concussion, and die. But you won't see me wearing a helmet while walking down the street.

And the long term side effects are still not fully understood.

Healthy people in low-risk age groups die from the flu every single year.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A rare photo of a typical INGOr's living room:

Foil-Room.jpg

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Son just got the spray.... I didn't want him to get it but wife is lead to believe its needed....

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Did you actually test positive and have a confirmed case of H1N1?

Saw no need to do so. The whole school was decimated by H1N1 that year--too many confirmed cases to shake a thermometer at... and I had half a dozen of those confirmed cases in my classroom. After talking to the kids (high schoolers) themselves and several of the parents, the symptoms and timing were a perfect match. Pretty much the nastiest flu to go through the school in my years there.

And no, when I get a nail in a tire I don't take it to my mechanic to ask him if it's really flat, either. If it's pretty much obvious, I just fix it/get it fixed and move on.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A rare photo of a typical INGOr's living room:

Foil-Room.jpg

My felis catus population would LOVE that!!! They'd shred it within minutes and then wear themselves out going nuts with the shreds! Now that you've shown me the way to entertain my cats, I have to ask: does anyone have a few dozen spare rolls of foil laying around being unproductive???

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Got my first Flu Shot in my adult life(that I remember) on Monday. That whole arm aches 2 days later, all the way down into my fingers.. ugh..

But, after a ride in an ambulance and spending a few days in the hospital last year with pneumonia, my Doc wanted me to have both the Flu and Pneumonia vaccinations. Getting old sucks

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't trust what they put into it, so I avoid it every year.

Although I hear that it may be a requirement in the workplace!

I can tell you exactly what is in it if you'd like :dunno:

And no, when I get a nail in a tire I don't take it to my mechanic to ask him if it's really flat, either. If it's pretty much obvious, I just fix it/get it fixed and move on.

:laugh:

The fact that you think this is a reasonable metaphor is laughable.

Got my first Flu Shot in my adult life(that I remember) on Monday. That whole arm aches 2 days later, all the way down into my fingers.. ugh..

But, after a ride in an ambulance and spending a few days in the hospital last year with pneumonia, my Doc wanted me to have both the Flu and Pneumonia vaccinations. Getting old sucks

If it doesn't get any better in a couple days you might wanna get that checked. Possibly hit a nerve...not that common but it happens.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I can tell you exactly what is in it if you'd like :dunno:

:laugh:

The fact that you think this is a reasonable metaphor is laughable.

If it doesn't get any better in a couple days you might wanna get that checked. Possibly hit a nerve...not that common but it happens.

It's better, thanks :) Appreciate the advice

Top Bottom