• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Still not convinced. I am a healthy adult, I seldom get sick. I plan to keep it that way. No shots for me.

You are aware that some strains of flu (and other diseases) are harder (in terms of both symptom severity and mortality) on healthy adults than they are on children and oldsters, aren't you?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, I have generally had good results with the shot, but anecdotal evidence suggest more people are having side effects/reactions this year do I had decided not to do it after confirming with my job that I am no longer forced to get one. Yesterday I got a memo that I have to go watch a video and sign papers of declination. /sigh. Ain't nobody got time for that. Guess l just get the shot. The man wins again. Wish me luck. Last thing I need is an immune reaction on my vaykay.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The scientific question now is, of all the posters in this thread, which one will die first. It will happen. ONE of YOU will die and when YOU do, we will discuss it and apply those observations back to this thread.

Good luck to all of you.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The scientific question now is, of all the posters in this thread, which one will die first. It will happen. ONE of YOU will die and when YOU do, we will discuss it and apply those observations back to this thread.

Good luck to all of you.

What will they die of, flu, ebola, stupidity? Perhaps we could make a game of this and all put our risk factors on the table and then we could forecast each other's demise.

You do realize we will all eventually die, right?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    AAR: well I took the shot. No side effects *twitch* but a sore shoulder. I decided to take it because otherwise I had to sign a form saying I willfully put coworkers at risk.... BS or not, I wasn't about to sign that.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Been a couple weeks now since I got mine.

No side effects at all.

Considering getting the shingles vaccination. Need to read up on it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Been a couple weeks now since I got mine.

No side effects at all.

Considering getting the shingles vaccination. Need to read up on it.

Any questions in particular?

I'll dig up the info sheet and link it. I just gave one yesterday and the lady said it was the least painful immunization she had ever gotten.

Zostavax (shingles shot) info:
    Manufacturer info sheet
    CDC info sheet

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Any questions in particular?

I'll dig up the info sheet and link it. I just gave one yesterday and the lady said it was the least painful immunization she had ever gotten.

Zostavax (shingles shot) info:
    Manufacturer info sheet
    CDC info sheet

Thanks for the info. I am just under the recommended age to get it.

I had chicken pox as a child. Just didn't want to be able to transmit to an infant or anyone who never had chicken pox.

Might still check and see if the wife's insurance will cover the vaccination.

What are your opinions on the shingles vaccine?

*Sorry for the thread semi-jack*

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks for the info. I am just under the recommended age to get it.

I had chicken pox as a child. Just didn't want to be able to transmit to an infant or anyone who never had chicken pox.

Might still check and see if the wife's insurance will cover the vaccination.

What are your opinions on the shingles vaccine?

*Sorry for the thread semi-jack*

I think it's a good and very useful vaccine, but I'm gonna go with the official recs on this one. I generally think people should wait until at least 50 to get it. Having said that, I can appreciate your concern, but unless you have reason to believe you're likely to experience a recurrence, it's not at all likely that you'll transmit the virus to an infant. Yes, it's true that the virus "stays with us" after we've had Chicken Pox, but that doesn't mean we are infectious forever. To me the biggest incentive to the vaccine is preventing shingles and the wonderful postherpetic neuralgia that people experience afterwards.

No worries . This info pertains. It's a shot also.
    I'm curious also what the docs think of the shingles vaccine. I'd also like to know the (cash) cost.

I'm not sure if I was being referenced here, but I wanted to make sure it was clear for everyone reading that I'm not a doctor. I'm a mere student pharmacist who just so happened to already be educated on vaccinations.

Doc may very well have a different opinion/recommendation based on his experience and expertise.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You could easily apply that same logic to every pharmaceutical produced, including over the counter. And most food products as well.

Most pharmaceuticals scare the hell out of me. I love the ads for them. The disclaimers and side effects take longer than the commercial content.
    NO Flu shot for me. I've had 3 shots and got sicker than hell all 3 times.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I love the ads for them. The disclaimers and side effects take longer than the commercial content.

You have the legal system to thank for that, not the pharmaceutical industry. Any "adverse effect" reported during clinical trials must be documented. That is exactly why every single drug can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, etc. I'm not saying we shouldn't tell people what medication CAN do, but serious side effects are NEVER common and in many cases the benefit outweighs the risk.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You have the legal system to thank for that, not the pharmaceutical industry. Any "adverse effect" reported during clinical trials must be documented. That is exactly why every single drug can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, etc. I'm not saying we shouldn't tell people what medication CAN do, but serious side effects are NEVER common and in many cases the benefit outweighs the risk.

When the commercial throws out "May also cause death" kinda gets my attention.
    I might die over my stubborn uneducated attitude but I can live with that. At least until I die.

Top Bottom