• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette
    Forget about me, lets hope those cops have thick skin when you clowns demand that their ballistic protection be sold for scrap. Maybe their thick skin will save their necks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Forget about me, lets hope those cops have thick skin when you clowns demand that their ballistic protection be sold for scrap. Maybe their thick skin will save their necks.

So anyone thinks an MRAP is unnecessary wants cops to die?

Don't fall off your high horse, it could be fatal....and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    So anyone thinks an MRAP is unnecessary wants cops to die?

Don't fall off your high horse, it could be fatal....and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

Following that line of thinking, to insure maximum safety every squad car & SUV should be retired and replaced with MRAPs...

titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette

Are you serious? The erroneous strawman argument of "stats show this so and MRAP is therefore unnecessary" aside, GO TELL THAT TO THE FAMILIES OF THE POLICE OFFICERS WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED! Sickening. Over 100 cops have been injured in Baltimore alone over the last few weeks. You sir, are an idiot.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The stats don't lie. Or do you have a secret book of stats that back up your contention that it's super serious deadly work? It's more dangerous to be a garbage man or lumber jack in this country than a cop. Hell, earlier in this year the majority of cops who were shot and died were shot and killed by their fellow officers. MRAP didn't save a single one of them. It's not a "strawman" when it is the truth. You're more likely to make it home at the end of the day than a construction worker, if you're a cop.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    So maybe I missed it but does anyone have an actual money figure that this MRAP is going to cost the taxpayers of Tippecanoe Co.? Since this seems to be really the only factor a taxpayer of Tippecanoe Co might have a argument against, unless its just a personal opinion then not sure why being a taxpayer of Tippecanoe Co. would even matter.

As far as the seemingly other argument against it that it's a prior military vehicle, with whats left on it, it would seem that it has more in common with a Brinks armored car then any thing else. So what does that matter to anyone in that sense :dunno:.

I'm sorry but unless its going to cost an arm and a leg or was carrying mounted machine guns, cannons, etc I just don't get it. Of course no one ever accused me of being "smart" :draw: :cool:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Assuming they are not utilized often, maintenance cost would result primarily from fluid exchanges, plus the cost of storage.

Other costs I have encountered in my review are: property damage, road wear, over-spec shear and moment forces on bridges (many bridges and culverts in the USA are still under 10,000 pound rating while the MRAP weighs between 14,000 and 18,000 lbs, depending on configuration.

It appears that a number of MRAPs are being sent to small towns (Edon, OH, for example, population 300).

Boondoggle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Assuming they are not utilized often, maintenance cost would result primarily from fluid exchanges, plus the cost of storage.

Other costs I have encountered in my review are: property damage, road wear, over-spec shear and moment forces on bridges (many bridges and culverts in the USA are still under 10,000 pound rating while the MRAP weighs between 14,000 and 18,000 lbs, depending on configuration.

It appears that a number of MRAPs are being sent to small towns (Edon, OH, for example, population 300).

Boondoggle.
    Most of them will also need to be retrofitted for civilian use, not military configuration. I have read figures on that of around $70,000. They are also inherently unsafe, according to at least one police source I read. They have a very high center of gravity and are prone to tipping.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I choose my CLEs based on 3 factors in order of importance: Schedule, Price, Location.

What about that bargain CLE in Lafayette, huh? At least the price was right.

Speaking of teaching, if you'll excuse me:

Geeez.... A thin stretch of the law enforcement term... what a hack. Though I am sure the "law enforcement" mystique you play up gives you some kind of street-cred with the drooling followers.... "I was a law enforcement officer".... sad. And you know EXACTLY what I meant my law enforcement officer.

Hack? You defame me because I understand the Indiana Code? Only a Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Deputy can be this willfully obtuse. Looking forward to more lectures about the Indiana Code from someone who does not crack the code book Harrington gives you.

Your department does not have a very good reputation of telling the truth so let me help you, deputy:

IC 35-41-1-17
    "Law enforcement officer" and "federal enforcement officer" defined
    Sec. 17. (a) "Law enforcement officer" means:
    (1) a police officer (including a correctional police officer), sheriff, constable, marshal, prosecuting attorney, special prosecuting attorney, special deputy prosecuting attorney, the securities commissioner, or the inspector general;
    (2) a deputy of any of those persons;
    (3) an investigator for a prosecuting attorney or for the inspector general;
    (4) a conservation officer;
    (5) an enforcement officer of the alcohol and tobacco commission; or
    (6) an enforcement officer of the securities division of the office of the secretary of state.
    (b) "Federal enforcement officer" means any of the following:
    (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent.
    (2) A United States Marshals Service marshal or deputy.
    (3) A United States Secret Service special agent.
    (4) A United States Fish and Wildlife Service special agent.
    (5) A United States Drug Enforcement Agency agent.
    (6) A Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent.
    (7) A United States Forest Service law enforcement officer.
    (8) A United States Department of Defense police officer or criminal investigator.
    (9) A United States Customs Service agent.
    (10) A United States Postal Service investigator.
    (11) A National Park Service law enforcement commissioned ranger.
    (12) United States Department of Agriculture, Office of Inspector General special agent.
    (13) A United States Citizenship and Immigration Services special agent.
    (14) An individual who is:
    (A) an employee of a federal agency; and
    (B) authorized to make arrests and carry a firearm in the performance of the individual's official duties.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not that I am siding with these small depts getting MRAPS, I'm not. OR am I disputing these stats. However, this is an OVERALL picture of LE. Not all departments are created equal nor have suffered equally. I say my department stats blow these general stats out of the water. It's subjective. I do understand what you are trying to say though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Uh huh, still don't have an argument do ya?

Risk=f(probability, outcome severity)

Since the inception of Tippecanoe County, 2 Sheriff's deputies have been killed. Those murders would not have been prevented by an MRAP. They were murdered in 1928, which I note that your department does not memorialize. Do they mean that little to you?

2 deputies over all those billions of man hours works means that risk of murder is zero. The MRAP is simply a toy so this county can "keep up" with other counties. We don't need it, it will address no risk (because there is none), and it will only eat taxpayer dollars. Taxpayer dollars that can be used for . . . in-house legal education for your department, which it so badly needs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    GO TELL THAT TO THE FAMILIES OF THE POLICE OFFICERS WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED! Sickening. Over 100 cops have been injured in Baltimore alone over the last few weeks. You sir, are an idiot.

The families of the two deputies killed in 1928? Well, I'd like to but your department won't even put up a plaque in the lobby as they mean so little to you.

The Law Office of Kirk Freeman hereby volunteers to purchase commemorative plaques of the slain Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Deputies--McClure and Grove--in 1928 in recognition of their brave sacrifice since the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Department will not honor its slain deputies. Wow, you don't even put them on your website do you, deputy? http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/department/?structureid=10

BTW, the two deputies killed were killed with their own weapons. Based on past history, wouldn't it be smarter and save officers lives if we disarmed the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Department? Before your department dances in the blood of others, shouldn't you at least stop to remember the deputies that your department lost?

100 cops injured in Baltimore? Baltimore? In which township of Tippecanoe County is Baltimore? Is it near Odell?

Oh, BTW, Deputy, the Baltimore, Maryland Police Department has armored vehicles. Why did they have 100 cops injured? I eagerly await your response.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom