• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Interesting thought. Good thing there's those stickers on the backs of the street signs so they know which route goes to which detainment facility.

What are you now? The Gov. of Texas? It's bad enough we have the Alex Jones lunatics babbling about black helicopters but you have to feed their delusions? Geeeeeeez.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I haven't heard anything about deployment of the Johnson County MRAP in 2015, but in 2014, they took it to a knife fight.

MRAP---IED's---knife fight?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What are you now? The Gov. of Texas? It's bad enough we have the Alex Jones lunatics babbling about black helicopters but you have to feed their delusions? Geeeeeeez.

I don't know what you're talking about. The delusions are shadows of the memories implanted by the RFID capsules that are in the over-the-counter medications. That's why you can't get ephedrine anymore.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know what you're talking about. The delusions are shadows of the memories implanted by the RFID capsules that are in the over-the-counter medications. That's why you can't get ephedrine anymore.

Look, I can only mock one at a time. Right now I am mocking the coppers for their toys.

We can get the paranoid lunatics later.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I love how the Sheriff says it is free, what about coms, lights, sirens, etc, etc.. Plus their is the whole maintenance and upkeep thing, guessing the are going to have to build a shop big enough to house it, all for it to sit around...

For those that don't know if and when the county decides they no longer what it they are not allowed to sell or profit for it, they must then it back in.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I can get behind being incensed over the cost of the MRAP. Quite the unneeded expense as has been demonstrated up thread. I just don't get being all :runaway:just for the fact it's an MRAP. It's like "Oh no, our police are too well protected from small arms fire! The horror!" Do people get this worked up when they get new ballistic vests?

Call me when they start mounting M249s on the MRAPs. Then we've got some worrying to do. At this point, I really don't think they've got subjugating the populace in mind when buying these things. I think it's a bunch of guys wanting a new government funded toy to jack around with.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Maybe it's just me, but as a taxpayer I don't want to have to pay for it. Gas tax to maintain roads? Fine. Vests for the LEO's? Sure. Big expensive TOY? Not so much.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not the odds, it's the stakes - INGO

It hasn't happened here yet so it never will - INGO.

When was the last lawyer killed, Kirk? You must feel pretty dumb carrying that useless gun around.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's not the odds, it's the stakes - INGO

I pay for my own holster, belt, pistol, ammo and training.

I have to pay for yours. You don't need a toy.

It hasn't happened here yet so it never will - INGO.

Said by people who pay for their own toys and are sick of paying for the toys of others.

There is no danger. Your MRAP is a toy.

When was the last lawyer killed, Kirk?

Last month. I paid my property taxes in order to pay for your toys. I had a series of mini-strokes in the Treasurer's Office.:D

The Sheriff can have a bake sale for his toys.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is no danger. Your MRAP is a toy.

Everybody can relax. Oracle Kirk has said there is no danger. Obviously this county has a magical anti-violence shield that is lacking in other parts of Indiana were nothing happened right up until it did.

Yet...Oracle Kirk carries a gun. When there is no danger. Yet Oracle Kirk reminds us that guns are dangerous. Odd, that. Carrying something that is dangerous to fend off a danger that doesn't exist. Carrying something that has resulted in 5 injuries and 1 death in accidental discharges so far this month in one county alone...just to fend off an imaginary danger that you assure us doesn't exist? Seems illogical. I'm surprised your fellow citizens are comfortable with your needless endangering of their lives so you can have your toys. I wonder which will cost the average citizen more, the upkeep of said MRAP or accidental discharges resulting in death or injury? I mean, if we're going to approach this on a cost basis and I have to pay for the uninsured/underinsured and increased insurance rates so you can have toys...seems like I should have a say.

Has anyone actually figured out what the MRAP maintenance, etc. will cost? I can mail you a quarter for your share and you can refund the difference at your leisure.

Mock away.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oracle Kirk has said there is no danger.

No danger in Tippecanoe County. Again, I restate, 1928 and they were killed inside their vehicle with their own guns.

Somehow Tippecanoe County has managed to survive over 80 years without losing a deputy. And we did it all without a silly toy like an MRAP. We are truly gods among men.

Your MRAP is a toy. If you want a toy, you buy it, not us the taxpayers. Everyone is getting heavy in that wagon.

Let's consult the Oracle at Delphi: https://www.odmp.org/search/browse/indiana

Huh, what do you know, not a single deputy in Carroll County (Delphi) and only 2, eight decades ago, in Tippecanoe County, when MRAPs were only a twinkle in a politicians eye.:D

Oracle Kirk carries a gun.

Oracle Kirk pays for his guns.

Do you pay for your MRAP? Or, does someone else pay?

Has anyone actually figured out what the MRAP maintenance, etc. will cost?

A metric ton of money. This isn't a Bearcat. You just can't drive it to the GM dealer.

Better threshold question: has anyone figured out what MRAP cost in property damage and harm to the taxpayer vs. all the many, many times that they will be used in the Monitor Triangle?

What are the chances that the Tippecanoe MRAP will be used for anything other than photo ops (nearly 0)? Now, what are the chances someone will be hurt with the MRAP (exponentially higher)?

Are we still losing soldiers and Marines in MRAPs? Didn't we lose some guys in First Group in an MRAP accident a short while ago?

How about police accidents in MRAPs? Still bunches of those I am certain.

The danger comes from the MRAP, not its absence.

Look, I don't care if the Sheriff has a silly play toy. But I'm not paying for it.

If he wants to hold a bake sale, or ice cream social, or raise money at the Romney Square Dance (yes, it's real and yes I've been), I am cool. I just don't want to pay for his play.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cops don't need this ****. The only people I hear saying they do are cops

Has your live experience been that people who actually do a job have a good idea of what's required to do the job? Or people who've never done the job know better? Seems to me like the bean counters and brass polishers sent men into IED territory in soft skinned humvees, but I'm sure they knew better than the field troops what was needed to do the job. The only one saying they needed more armor was the soldiers, after all. From high stakes life and death to what a carpenter needs to be efficient, the guy swinging the hammer probably knows what he needs.

Lenco Bearcat Played Critical Role in Stockton Robbery, Hostage Response - News - POLICE Magazine could never happen here.
    Texas cops fired on with AK-47, saved by BearCat could never happen here.
    Armored vehicle use in Muskegon County, elsewhere 'amounts to saving lives,' authorities say | MLive.com could never happen here

The vehicle, a Lenco BearCat G3, had only 500 miles on it at the time and was a controversial purchase in the community prior to the incident. Some accused the department of spending too much on “something that will never get used,” according to Tyler PD SWAT Commander Rusty Jacks.

When Wyoming Police Officer Frank Hartuniewicz was struck by gunfire on Jan. 29, his chief answered questions about the confrontation between law enforcement and the suspect.
    Hartuniewicz was shot below the protective vest and near the gun belt in the 3:45 p.m. incident in the 200 block of Himes Street SE, located south of 36th Street.
    Wyoming Police Chief James Carmody said it's the first time an officer had been shot since he took the helm of the department eight years ago. When asked at a press conference if officers will now be on heightened alert, Carmody responded, "This is what we live with."
    He brought up the value of the armored vehicle used at that particular scene. He made no apology for its use. The department was assisted by the Michigan State Police.
    "We had an armored vehicle here that helped us. And there's a lot of people that are complaining about the militarization of police officers, and this is where it comes into play. So if they want to come out and complain, have at it," he said.
    "But those vehicles, that equipment, saved my officer today, so they're worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned."

etc. etc.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Terre Haute PD has one, supposedly it is started weekly, I don't think I have ever seen it move or in the news. The humvees on the other hand, I have seen those in man with gun barricaded in house stories on the news before and when there is deep snow, they use them as the crown vics and Chargers do nothing in deep snow. They really only painted one with nice graphics they use for parades. The others are still military colors (same with the few blazer type SUV's they have, all camo'd out still).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From high stakes life and death to what a carpenter needs to be efficient, the guy swinging the hammer probably knows what he needs.

The carpenter pays for his own framing hammer. I pay for the Sheriff's tools. I'll pay for Barry's tools, but not his toys.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Has your live experience been that people who actually do a job have a good idea of what's required to do the job? Or people who've never done the job know better? Seems to me like the bean counters and brass polishers sent men into IED territory in soft skinned humvees, but I'm sure they knew better than the field troops what was needed to do the job. The only one saying they needed more armor was the soldiers, after all. From high stakes life and death to what a carpenter needs to be efficient, the guy swinging the hammer probably knows what he needs.

Lenco Bearcat Played Critical Role in Stockton Robbery, Hostage Response - News - POLICE Magazine could never happen here.
    Texas cops fired on with AK-47, saved by BearCat could never happen here.
    Armored vehicle use in Muskegon County, elsewhere 'amounts to saving lives,' authorities say | MLive.com could never happen here

etc. etc.

Not sure how it "came into play" in this scenario or if the same result couldn't have been accomplished with a squad or one of the numeous LEO SUV's out now. The role was most likely exaggerated.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    "One Riot, One Ranger". As far as I know, the Texas Rangers don't have MRAPs.

The one thing clear in Texas is that an MRAP is a gun confiscation device, and they don't care for them.

Top Bottom