• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    For the record...in 1200 traffic stops, Ive only written 3 citations...

First time seeing this thread. I didn't go through 16 pages to find out if any real LEO has already pointed this out but....not only would this not be admirable, it isn't possible. Officers have little discretion in when they do and do not write a citation after making a stop. The stop is already logged and there's no way around it being known. Writing 3 citations in 1200 stops would never be allowed (nor should it.)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    First time seeing this thread. I didn't go through 16 pages to find out if any real LEO has already pointed this out but....not only would this not be admirable, it isn't possible. Officers have little discretion in when they do and do not write a citation after making a stop. The stop is already logged and there's no way around it being known. Writing 3 citations in 1200 stops would never be allowed (nor should it.)

none of this is remotely close to accurate. just FYI.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

Not sure what you're saying. He identified himself as in NE Indy. If he's IMPD, Lawrence, Fishers, Carmel, and has made 1200 stops and only written 3 citations, I assure you what I offered in response is 100% accurate. Without even having a knowledge of the process, common sense demands that it doesn't make sense (or cents.)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Not sure what you're saying. He identified himself as in NE Indy. If he's IMPD, Lawrence, Fishers, Carmel, and has made 1200 stops and only written 3 citations, I assure you what I offered in response is 100% accurate. Without even having a knowledge of the process, common sense demands that it doesn't make sense (or cents.)

:popcorn: Does Pinchaser know what VUPDblue does for a living?

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana

Not sure if you're speaking of a particular agency or broadly regarding all law enforcement agencies. But the issuance of citations is entirely dependent on the individual officers discretion as set forth by their individual agency policy.
    For instance a local agency is more concerned with active patrolling and response to citizen calls for service than 'ticket' writing. A particular officer hasn't written a traffic ticket in several years but has made several traffic stops during that time frame.

Stay safe

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    When people call the police and police come=people love cops
    When cops are called on you and the cops come=you hate cops
    When cops come to your accident and help you=you love cops
    when cops pull you over and give you a ticket=you hate cops
    Etc.
    Etc.

It's a love/hate relationship and it will always be. I don't think it's going to change. I would guess it just goes with the job.

To the OP's original question - what do they do right and what do they do wrong. In my opinion they do #1 and #3 above right and they do #2 and #4 wrong.:D But that is my point, isn't it...

I have never liked my tickets but I deserved MOST of them and I do mean most of them. But I didn't like the cops that pulled me over because it cost me money. I have liked the cops that have arrested people that I have had run ins with and needed to call the PD.

So what can the police do better? Ah, what's the point? I have my opinions but that won't change a thing. 1-6 above still apply. But I still wish them safety in their jobs just as I would want anyone to be safe and come home to their family.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When people call the police and police come=people love cops
    When cops are called on you and the cops come=you hate cops
    When cops come to your accident and help you=you love cops
    when cops pull you over and give you a ticket=you hate cops

I would say that this applies at times, but would also point out that while I tend to distrust police based on personal experience, one of the two men I hold up as my standard of what a police officer should be introduced himself by writing me a ticket (which I deserved).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    maybe working OT on grant money, otherwise this is 100% incorrect

Indeed so! When working on Uncle Sugar's money, one must play by Uncle Sugar's rules. So far as I am concerned, this backdoor method of federalizing local law enforcement should be absolutely illegal.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Perfect example of why so many are so critical of police. Most haven't a clue.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

"without even having knowledge of the process"
    this here is the crux of the issue as you are, in fact, talking out of your posterior. if I stopped 120 cars in a month and never wrote a traffic ticket I can guarantee that not only would my boss not care, but I would probably get an "atta boy" for increased police presence on our streets. OhWait! that actually happened!

but since you dont do the job, you are, by default, an expert on the subject matter so I should just go sit in my patrol car and wait for your phonecall to tell me what I should do next......

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    thats a great idea! I could do cpr compressions with my foot while writing a few parking tickets simultaneously! I will be chief in no time!

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Wow........

Um..... Yea. My comment doesnt really add any fuel to the fire but I'll throw in my :twocents:.

I am not an LEO. I wouldn't want the job. They work too much for two little. They put up with too much bull:poop: for too little pay and not nearly enough respect.

As an outsider who's never had a bad experience with an LEO, I can say that even if I did, I would brush it off as a one off. Sure, I would be pissed but I know too many people in Law enforcement to know that the actions of a few high speed short bus super troopers are not an actual representation of all in the profession.

I wish more people would understand they have a job to do and let them do it. I also wish that more law keepers would ensure they performed their duties while not infringing on the constitutional rights of the citizens they served.

Regardless, my hat is off to those who enforce the law with compassion and respect for our basic rights outlined by the constitution of the United States.

P.S.: Will an INGO sticker pull double duty as a get outta jail free card?

Top Bottom