• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    First time seeing this thread. I didn't go through 16 pages to find out if any real LEO has already pointed this out but....not only would this not be admirable, it isn't possible. Officers have little discretion in when they do and do not write a citation after making a stop. The stop is already logged and there's no way around it being known. Writing 3 citations in 1200 stops would never be allowed (nor should it.)

A little confused about your citations part. Most places have no policy on making one write citations and they shouldn't have either IMO. I write very few but make a sizable number of stops each year. I reserve my ticket writing for the losers/druggies that cruise around all night causing problems...the non productive members of our society. People heading to work late and attempting to do half way right ect. don't get any paper from me.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    A little confused about your citations part. Most places have no policy on making one write citations and they shouldn't have either IMO. I write very few but make a sizable number of stops each year. I reserve my ticket writing for the losers/druggies that cruise around all night causing problems...the non productive members of our society. People heading to work late and attempting to do half way right ect. don't get any paper from me.

as it should be. I have been known to even let suspended-priors skate if they are attempting to be productive...ie: going to work. oh teh noes! :runaway:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Would someone kindly rep him? I got scolded for being too generous with the rep when I tried.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    as it should be. I have been known to even let suspended-priors skate if they are attempting to be productive...ie: going to work. oh teh noes! :runaway:

Same here! There are way to many of the "everyone owes me crowd" running around. I kinda like to show them how wrong they are.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I've had interactions with:

FWPD: Positive but rushed (Vandalism complaint by me)

FWPD: Impartial. Traffic (Made me aware of bad brake light at 01:00. Got a good look for anything else he was interested in. I didn't mind.)

Churubusco PD: Negative. The day after I got my license in the early 2000s, stopped for running "the" yellow in Busco. Warning. Unprofessional and rude.

ISP22: Positive. 62 in 50 US30 E @ 69. Missed the 60->50 drop. Trooper was sitting 10 feet beyond the 40 drop. Courteous, professional, warning.

ISP22: Impartial. 68 in 60 US30 W @ Wolf Rd (Columbia City). Was going 75 but my Valentine 1 gave me .8s to nail the brakes. Didn't like the camcorder. Ticket. (2008)

SJSO: Positive. 67 in 50 Capital N of Douglas. Wife was yelling at me, I wasn't paying attention. Warning.

SJSO: Positive. 45 in 30 23 N of Ironwood. Was unfamiliar with area, in traffic. Got pecked. First experience w/ firearm declaration @ 19 YO. No problems, warning BECAUSE I told him about the gun in the safe in the back seat.

Mishawaka: Negative. Noise complaint. 6 friends male/female playing Monopoly having beers (read: 6 pack). All cuffed, Two MIPs at 0.02 and 0.01 (not me), Transport back to school for them. Real jerk cops. Not a professional among them. Note: Nosey/jerk neighbors.

Mishawaka: Negative. Vandalism/Theft from car. Report by me. Officer uninterested. Didn't want to take down our info for property return. Interested only in creating report for Insurance. Disrespectful, short, annoyed.

ISP21: Stops Positive, Frequency negative. 5-7 stops in the last 4 years. All non-speed moving violations. This crew is a bunch of bored fishermen. They border on harassment.

NOTE: My ISP21 interactions were almost all in rental cars. I am not known to them and there is no "targeting" here. It is my opinion/speculation that they have a downtime quota that they cannot exceed thus look for ANY reason to stop a car ALWAYS.

That's all I can think of from my adult life and driving history. I think total I've had three speeding tickets in my driving career. All deserved. Overall my police interactions have been positive although there are certainly bad attitudes out there. My only consistent complaint from jurisdiction to jurisdiction is that when I call in potential DUIs (frequently) there is never any sense of urgency.

-Dobber

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I have two LEO's who have married into my family, and both are jagoffs. I engage both of them In conversation at gatherings just to hear their ridiculous stories, and to stroke their monster egos. They have both admitted some pretty disturbing stuff to me without hesitation. Not saying that this attitude applies to all officers, but it isn't out of the ordinary for my (medium-sized town) experiences. I watch the young kids come in, and instantly you see their cars up and down the streets harassing people. These are the ones who are quick to pull their guns, who are "just following orders", and who will ultimately be the ones in battle gear combing your streets looking for guns. Write that down.

JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Don't take what a handful of people here on this gun message board speak for all of the members here. They defiantly DO NOT speak for my thoughts. I look at it this way, in every type of workplace there are good workers, and there are (a small group of) some bad workers. Regardless if you're a LEO, factory worker, delivery person, gun shop employee... the list goes' on and on..

In just about every job you're going to have a few bad people who work there. The cops just seem to make the front page new though.

The point I was going to make. Think about how many police officers there actually are. For every 1 "mean" or "abusive" officer you come across, there are hundreds more who are decent men and woman who want to help and protect the citizens. The only issue is all you ever see in the news is when officers get in trouble. Then, every cop gets judged for what one decides to do. "They're all the same." It would be the same if every cop thought every citizen was a murderer because some guy killed his wife and he wasn't an officer so therefore all citizens are murders. Not the best example, but you see my point. Think about what those guys go through on a daily basis. Or think about the worse crisis you've ever had or seen in your life, car crash, being robbed, etc. then try and do that three or four times a day, everyday, for the next 25 years.

I'm not saying there aren't bad officers out there - but don't judge all on what a few idiots do. Idiots come in all shapes and sizes, even in uniforms sometimes.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I dislike any and all LEO's. My son, 2 nephews (ARMY MILITARY POLICE) are connected to law enforcement. I/they have many many stories of unlawful acts committed by police. But dont rat out their brothers.
    I have broken the speed limit many times and have been ticketed a few times. Most police officers that i know are under the radar criminals! One way or another they are looking for a way to get name in print somehow. I have been threated by an armed police officer (with his hand on gun) and i was un armed and in tee shirt and gym shorts for not letting the officer into my house. I reported the incident to sherriff and he said he would look into it. The 2nd officer who lives down the street came to my house later and apologized.
    I have survellance cameras at my house now and will be able to prove any infractions from such people again.
    I WILL NEVER ANSWER MY DOOR UNARMED AGAIN! ESPECIALLY THE POLICE!
    I hope that if you are an alright guy that I suggest that you should look for another job. Either a bad guy may hurt you or your fellow partners will hurt you. Maybe you think I am a nut job.
    I am a former marine and son is navy medic for FMF. To some people marines are nuts but the marines have taught me respect for many things. I have worked 33 yrs at same job since the marines.
    I wasnt looking for a fight. I called the police because neighbor dogs were lose and were chasing kids in area. I guess the kids are on their own because i will never call the police for anything. The neighbors life alert went off at 4:30 in morning and we are a emergency call incase they cant get ahold of patient. The doors and windows were locked. I called police so they would witness the "break in".
    They showed up and i informed them of situation. They would not get involved and said that if i break door or window i would be responsible for damage and if person wanted to press charges they would arrest me. The other neighbor was called also by life alert. They could not believe what was happening. A little while later (2-5 min) the door opened and the person was ok just sleeping and wanted to know what the lights were about? I have since talked to her about taking us off call list in light of this last circumstance. I dont know if she did.
    I am a state certified home land security certified first responder. My home land security PSID was presented but what good was it if patient was having a fatal condition and i am arguing with a police officer about legal problems.
    I am not nutty. I have become educated by the law enforcement and the role they play in our changing usa.
    Good Luck

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    havnt had many bad experiences with cops, but from what i have experienced and from waht many people say on here, i would like to see my local police force become more learned about the actual laws they are here to uphold....and maybe not try strong arm techniques so much, i get it, youre the guy in charge, but that doesnt mean you can do whatever you want...we do still have a constitution, even if its in tatters, right?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I dislike any and all LEO's. My son, 2 nephews (ARMY MILITARY POLICE) are connected to law enforcement. I/they have many many stories of unlawful acts committed by police. But dont rat out their brothers.
    I have broken the speed limit many times and have been ticketed a few times. Most police officers that i know are under the radar criminals! One way or another they are looking for a way to get name in print somehow. I have been threated by an armed police officer (with his hand on gun) and i was un armed and in tee shirt and gym shorts for not letting the officer into my house. I reported the incident to sherriff and he said he would look into it. The 2nd officer who lives down the street came to my house later and apologized.
    I have survellance cameras at my house now and will be able to prove any infractions from such people again.
    I hope that if you are an alright guy that I suggest that you should look for another job. Either a bad guy may hurt you or your fellow partners will hurt you. Maybe you think I am a nut job.
    I am a former marine and son is navy medic for FMF. To some people marines are nuts but the marines have taught me respect for many things. I have worked 33 yrs at same job since the marines.
    I wasnt looking for a fight. I called the police because neighbor dogs were lose and were chasing kids in area. I guess the kids are on their own because i will never call the police for anything. The neighbors life alert went off at 4:30 in morning and we are a emergency call incase they cant get ahold of patient. The doors and windows were locked. I called police so they would witness the "break in".
    They showed up and i informed them of situation. They would not get involved and said that if i break door or window i would be responsible for damage and if person wanted to press charges they would arrest me. The other neighbor was called also by life alert. They could not believe what was happening. A little while later (2-5 min) the door opened and the person was ok just sleeping and wanted to know what the lights were about? I have since talked to her about taking us off call list in light of this last circumstance. I dont know if she did.
    I am a state certified home land security certified first responder. My home land security PSID was presented but what good was it if patient was having a fatal condition and i am arguing with a police officer about legal problems.
    I am not nutty. I have become educated by the law enforcement and the role they play in our changing usa.
    Good Luck

sounds like you could use a piece of candy and a hug. works for my 6 year old when she flies off the handle....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like anything, folks that are happy tend to be quiet. Folks that are unhappy tend to complain. Complaining makes them feel better. The happy folks already feel better, so they don't say anything. Thousands of people go through the day happy with the police force local to them and say nothing where as the ones that feel unhappy can blow off steam giving the impression that the police force is largely disliked. So, you cannot put too much emphasis on what the bulk of forums have to say since only half the side of the conversation tends to be heard.

For my part, I'm very happy with the Johnson County Sheriffs. Every interaction I've had with them has been a good one.

BTW, I did not read the whole thread here and am now just catching up. Holy Cow, this has become quite the ***** fest. Reminds me of what my father taught me years ago: Respect is the grease that keeps the wheels of society from grinding.

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Good Luck

IMHO that just doesn't sound like a healthy attitude. I can understand that you have had some frustrations in the past and some things that did not go the way that you feel they should have in those circumstances but your bottom line of never calling the police no matter what happens sounds over the top.

Once the police are there why would they let you break the window or door even if you are on the emergency call list? Your neighbor could have rolled over on the life alert buttton in their sleep and now here comes someone kicking in the door. You could be shot by them thinking your an intruder. Once the police are on scene it is up to the police and the fire department to enter the house or not, your job is done.

Those experiences and your overall decision to never call or trust any police seems to be an over the top reaction to some pretty minor incidences. While we all may have some stories including me where we did not like the way our interactions went with officers, for every one of those bad interactions I can match it with a grave stone that says NYPD or NYFD. There were some pretty brave and selfless officers and firemen going up the stairs on 9/11 when everyone else was trying to go down and get away.

All I am getting at is that they are not all out to get you and me. So you might want to put some perspective into your thoughts of the police and deal with them as individuals. The same way you do with anyone else on the street and draw your conlusions of each based on the individual and their actions.:twocents:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    sounds like you could use a piece of candy and a hug. works for my 6 year old when she flies off the handle....

OOh, I'll have a piece of candy. You can keep the hug but I like candy.

In fact this would be an excellent treat to give out with a ticket like when you get your dinner receipt and they give you an after dinner mint. You could hand them the ticket and the candy together. It just takes the edge off of a sour experience.:):

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    All but one of my encounters with LEO have been very good, respectable, good hearted, and there to serve the ppl and enforce the laws.

I did have one incident where the two cops were total jerks

It was about two years ago me and my brother were doing some drifting (My brother is on a competitive drift league.) on our fathers property at about 10pm at night. This is in an industrial park we have a large parking lot and we were just testing out some new car parts we put on.
    The first officer pulls into our parking lot, and we are very polite, he asks for both of our ID, and starts railing into us about about all the tickets he is going to write us. Trespassing, Criminal endangerment, and a whole bunch of driving violations. At this time the second officer pulls up and comes to my window (I was the passenger) I tell both officers that this is our property and we have the right to be on the property it is owned by our father. They then ask both of us to step out of the car, and start searching us, very violently patting us down and just being overly rude to both of us. Finally we convinced them to call our father, the owner of the property and confirm with him. They called him and asked him if we had permission to be there and do donuts in the parking lot and he says yes we do.
    Once he said yes you could just see his face get so angry that he could not do anything. He then goes and writes us a noise violation, the violation was written at 1103, 11pm is when noise ordinance's take effect. As he hands us the violation he tells me "I better never run into you on the street or that is the end of you".
    Instead of paying the $100 noise fine or whatever the costs is we fight it in court and get off on the "Practicing for a sporting event" part of the law.

I am not angry they came and double checked that we were allowed to be there and not tearing up some random persons parking lot, I am just not happy with how they interacted with me and that they were looking for any reason to write the ticket

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The one time I got a ticket I deserved it. Young, dumb, speeding to work on 465. Though, I didn't see his lights for a few minutes (One of those mustangs all tinted, no siren, lights inside the car on the dash) and he apparently thought I was trying to run?

When I first moved out here I unknowingly ran a stop sign doing about 10 mph during a snowstorm. The stop sign was completely blanketed in snow/ice. To a newcomer not familiar with the area, damn near impossible to see if you didn't know it was there. He was very nice, understood and gave me a warning only (even with NY plates on the car still).

Additional two times were for accidents. Both times were very courteous. One let me warm up in his car until a tow truck arrived, helped me to understand what needed to be done in terms of insurance, report, etc (after a drunk totaled my car). It was very helpful being my first accident, and still having insurance/registration out of state.

But my wife has been pulled over by a LEO here on the board. They should have given her the ticket, then I'd have proof that I am the better driver! :)

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    First time seeing this thread. I didn't go through 16 pages to find out if any real LEO has already pointed this out but....not only would this not be admirable, it isn't possible. Officers have little discretion in when they do and do not write a citation after making a stop. The stop is already logged and there's no way around it being known. Writing 3 citations in 1200 stops would never be allowed (nor should it.)

Where is negative rep when we need it..............:):

Top Bottom