• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In all of my experiences with LEOs, whether personal interaction, personal relationships, or bystander interactions it seems that:

A) a majority of local Marion County officers/departments are seriously lacking in professionalism, ethics, etc.
    B) a majority of officers in the surrounding areas, smaller towns, and elsewhere in the country are the exact opposite and rather courteous/professional. At least from my experience with officers from FL, CA, CO, KY, NY, and numerous areas around Indiana

EDIT: That's not to say ALL of them are cut from the same fabric because I have indeed ran into a few very friendly and professional officers in Marion County. Typically, they weren't on duty or on a call/response of any sort so it's hard to say they are professional while working if they're simply being friendly to random person(s).

This brings me to my point that it's important to consider all aspects on this topic; not only the officer's experience and professionalism but also the person telling the story and the circumstances in which they are interacting with said LEOs.

I always give someone the benefit of the doubt, but it seems more often than not if it's a Marion County officer my profiling in this manner is rarely inaccurate.

There's bad apples everywhere, but I would say that Marion County has planted some bad trees (leadership).

:twocents:

Last edited:

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a pretty good relationship with most LEO's in my area because of my job and having to work with and help them out frequently. Most are pro-2A and ok with open carry.

I guess it boils down to a respect type of thing.

Last edited:

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I have had no problems with any of our local PD. I know several of them personally though. Sometimes when it gets boring it gets to be just like super troopers though.:):

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    When I worked in another area, the local police had a bad habit of setting up roadblocks. If they knew you, you were free to go but if you didn't live there they could hold you up for hours!!!!!!!!
    They would routinely attempt to disarm you no matter if your permits were in order or not!!
    They would always call for back-up and MANY would show up.
    It seemed they always were flagging me with their weapons.
    I would get stopped about 3 -5 times a week and get the same treatment every time.
    If you attempted to reason with them, they would start yelling and point there assault rifles at you (with poor trigger finger awareness)
    By now you may have guessed, or not, this was in Iraq:rolleyes:
    Yep, never had an issue with the LEOs were I'm currently living. Maybe I have the perspective of traveling to over 25 countries and old age that others may not:dunno:

Bob

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In all of my experiences with LEOs, whether personal interaction, personal relationships, or bystander interactions it seems that:

A) a majority of local Marion County officers/departments are seriously lacking in professionalism, ethics, etc.
    B) a majority of officers in the surrounding areas, smaller towns, and elsewhere in the country are the exact opposite and rather courteous/professional. At least from my experience with officers from FL, CA, CO, KY, NY, and numerous areas around Indiana

EDIT: That's not to say ALL of them are cut from the same fabric because I have indeed ran into a few very friendly and professional officers in Marion County. Typically, they weren't on duty or on a call/response of any sort so it's hard to say they are professional while working if they're simply being friendly to random person(s).

This brings me to my point that it's important to consider all aspects on this topic; not only the officer's experience and professionalism but also the person telling the story and the circumstances in which they are interacting with said LEOs.

I always give someone the benefit of the doubt, but it seems more often than not if it's a Marion County officer my profiling in this manner is rarely inaccurate.

There's bad apples everywhere, but I would say that Marion County has planted some bad trees (leadership).

:twocents:

So you have met a significant number of officers in Marion County to be able to make the claim in A) ? I call bull****.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I dislike any and all LEO's. My son, 2 nephews (ARMY MILITARY POLICE) are connected to law enforcement. I/they have many many stories of unlawful acts committed by police. But dont rat out their brothers.
    I have broken the speed limit many times and have been ticketed a few times. Most police officers that i know are under the radar criminals! One way or another they are looking for a way to get name in print somehow. I have been threated by an armed police officer (with his hand on gun) and i was un armed and in tee shirt and gym shorts for not letting the officer into my house. I reported the incident to sherriff and he said he would look into it. The 2nd officer who lives down the street came to my house later and apologized.
    I have survellance cameras at my house now and will be able to prove any infractions from such people again.
    I WILL NEVER ANSWER MY DOOR UNARMED AGAIN! ESPECIALLY THE POLICE!
    I hope that if you are an alright guy that I suggest that you should look for another job. Either a bad guy may hurt you or your fellow partners will hurt you. Maybe you think I am a nut job.
    I am a former marine and son is navy medic for FMF. To some people marines are nuts but the marines have taught me respect for many things. I have worked 33 yrs at same job since the marines.
    I wasnt looking for a fight. I called the police because neighbor dogs were lose and were chasing kids in area. I guess the kids are on their own because i will never call the police for anything. The neighbors life alert went off at 4:30 in morning and we are a emergency call incase they cant get ahold of patient. The doors and windows were locked. I called police so they would witness the "break in".
    They showed up and i informed them of situation. They would not get involved and said that if i break door or window i would be responsible for damage and if person wanted to press charges they would arrest me. The other neighbor was called also by life alert. They could not believe what was happening. A little while later (2-5 min) the door opened and the person was ok just sleeping and wanted to know what the lights were about? I have since talked to her about taking us off call list in light of this last circumstance. I dont know if she did.
    I am a state certified home land security certified first responder. My home land security PSID was presented but what good was it if patient was having a fatal condition and i am arguing with a police officer about legal problems.
    I am not nutty. I have become educated by the law enforcement and the role they play in our changing usa.
    Good Luck

If you dislike any and all LEOs and you always answer the door armed (especially if its the police), do all us JBTs a favor and don't bother calling 911 when you need an issue resolved. Sounds like you would be better off handling it yourself.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you dislike any and all LEOs and you always answer the door armed (especially if its the police), do all us JBTs a favor and don't bother calling 911 when you need an issue resolved. Sounds like you would be better off handling it yourself.

Experience determines reality. Some people, including myself, have had a terrible experiences with LEOs. That doesn't mean I won't ever trust an LEO, but it would definitely take a lot of interaction. Maybe he will come to the same conclusion after a while. Also, I really respect honest professional LEOs.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Experience determines reality. Some people, including myself, have had a terrible experiences with LEOs. That doesn't mean I won't ever trust an LEO, but it would definitely take a lot of interaction. Maybe he will come to the same conclusion after a while. Also, I really respect honest professional LEOs.

If experience determines reality, it would be completely reasonable for me to say that after 19 years as a cop I can hate every non-leo based on the terrible experiences I've had with only a small percentage of them. Assinine, right?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So you have met a significant number of officers in Marion County to be able to make the claim in A) ? I call bull****.
    I don't really care what you call. Just as my post stated, everyone's opinion on such a matter must be taken with a "grain of salt" so to speak based on the perspective.

For example, my perspective will be limited to my interactions just as everyone else's. What you are misunderstanding, as is typical in these LEO threads, is that what limited interactions one person may have with a department are not necessarily indicative of the whole department. Which is exactly why I stated in my post that it is based on MY interactions.

Hence, your retaliatory attempt to discredit my opinion/reasoning is illfounded. Based on MY interactions, YES I can claim A. I have a spotless record other than maybe a speeding ticket, and yet the majority of my interactions with the department have been negative and otherwise not shining a positive light on the county's officers.

Whether or not you agree with that is your prerogative based on YOUR experience with the department(s).

I find it funny how so many LEOs defend one another in this manner, and rather than identify reasoning behind people's feelings towards their team and attempt to address the issues they just blindly defend them. This in turn feeds the stereotypes they so prominently despise. You are demonstrating this perfectly with your response to my post where you wish to aggressively defend the acts of everyone in a badge which I've referenced, yet you likely don't know all of them and can vouch for each of their character any more than I can.

It is that exact defense of the "thin blue line" mentality which promotes the negative opinions of LEO within the common citizen and develops the "us vs them" mentality in LEOs.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm not defending anyone. You lumped me into a group based on your interactions with a small number of officers and I don't take that very well. Based on your avatar I would guess you are/were in the military. So based on my handful of negative experences with active/former military folks I will judge all of them as arrogant and unproffessional.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If experience determines reality, it would be completely reasonable for me to say that after 19 years as a cop I can hate every non-leo based on the terrible experiences I've had with only a small percentage of them. Assinine, right?

I know what you're saying, but that's a different comparison. We're talking about a non-LEO who has had bad experiences with 100% of LEOs he's met. You're comparing it to an LEO who's had bad experiences with a small percentage of the many non-LEOs he's met.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't really care what you call. Just as my post stated, everyone's opinion on such a matter must be taken with a "grain of salt" so to speak based on the perspective.

For example, my perspective will be limited to my interactions just as everyone else's. What you are misunderstanding, as is typical in these LEO threads, is that what limited interactions one person may have with a department are not necessarily indicative of the whole department. Which is exactly why I stated in my post that it is based on MY interactions.

Hence, your retaliatory attempt to discredit my opinion/reasoning is illfounded. Based on MY interactions, YES I can claim A. I have a spotless record other than maybe a speeding ticket, and yet the majority of my interactions with the department have been negative and otherwise not shining a positive light on the county's officers.

Whether or not you agree with that is your prerogative based on YOUR experience with the department(s).

I find it funny how so many LEOs defend one another in this manner, and rather than identify reasoning behind people's feelings towards their team and attempt to address the issues they just blindly defend them. This in turn feeds the stereotypes they so prominently despise. You are demonstrating this perfectly with your response to my post where you wish to aggressively defend the acts of everyone in a badge which I've referenced, yet you likely don't know all of them and can vouch for each of their character any more than I can.

It is that exact defense of the "thin blue line" mentality which promotes the negative opinions of LEO within the common citizen and develops the "us vs them" mentality in LEOs.

I can see a grain of truth in this statement. The reasoning I see for some of the behavior you mention is the "Clientele" most of the LEO in Marion county have to deal with on a daily basis.
    I live and work in Marion co. and can not go half a day with out the urge to wring somebody's neck for any number of reasons. Not so much when I am working in surrounding county's. It is the people.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not defending anyone. You lumped me into a group based on your interactions with a small number of officers and I don't take that very well. Based on your avatar I would guess you are/were in the military. So based on my handful of negative experences with active/former military folks I will judge all of them as arrogant and unproffessional.
    That's fine and your prerogative again. I don't really care and I can understand where you can develop such a perception. I'm educated enough to still take your perspective into consideration by realizing that your stereotyping is limited by your interactions and upon more positive interactions that will begin to shift for the better. Therefore, I will not contribute to it. Whether or not it does any good makes no difference, but at least I've done my part to not promote it for the sake of "my team."

Contrary to your statement/assumption, I haven't lumped you into the same category. As I stated, I give each person the benefit of a doubt. I stereotype "effectively" as it's described. While being friendly and professional I profile officer interactions based on my experience. I know to be on my toes more and lower my expectations when around a Marion County officer...that is UNTIL that officer proves to me that they don't fit into that category. (the definition of EFFECTIVE stereotyping)

I haven't interacted with you, other than here. So, I have no reason to believe you to be of that category of officer. The further interaction goes, the more YOU will determine which category you deserve to each person in respect to their individual categories and stereotyping process.

I was simply pointing out in my last post, that blindly defending everyone with a badge typically earns an officer a place in that category for most citizens who've developed such a stereotype.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have found for the most part, people who have the most problem with police officers seem to have a problem with authority in general. Not always the case, but most of the time true.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I can see a grain of truth in this statement. The reasoning I see for some of the behavior you mention is the "Clientele" most of the LEO in Marion county have to deal with on a daily basis.
    I live and work in Marion co. and can not go half a day with out the urge to wring somebody's neck for any number of reasons. Not so much when I am working in surrounding county's. It is the people.
    Agreed. Those in metro areas must put up with a lot more scum of society and I always take that into consideration.

Even with accounting for that however, I just as everyone else in society expects a certain level of professionalism regardless.

It's imperative for LEOs in such areas to not let the average person they must deal with begin to weigh on their decision making processes. It's often difficult to do, understandably, but that's part of the job and being a professional in that field.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That's fine and your prerogative again. I don't really care and I can understand where you can develop such a perception. I'm educated enough to still take your perspective into consideration by realizing that your stereotyping is limited by your interactions and upon more positive interactions that will begin to shift for the better. Therefore, I will not contribute to it. Whether or not it does any good makes no difference, but at least I've done my part to not promote it for the sake of "my team."

Contrary to your statement/assumption, I haven't lumped you into the same category. As I stated, I give each person the benefit of a doubt. I stereotype "effectively" as it's described. While being friendly and professional I profile officer interactions based on my experience. I know to be on my toes more and lower my expectations when around a Marion County officer...that is UNTIL that officer proves to me that they don't fit into that category. (the definition of EFFECTIVE stereotyping)

I haven't interacted with you, other than here. So, I have no reason to believe you to be of that category of officer. The further interaction goes, the more YOU will determine which category you deserve to each person in respect to their individual categories and stereotyping process.

I was simply pointing out in my last post, that blindly defending everyone with a badge typically earns an officer a place in that category for most citizens who've developed such a stereotype.

This discussion isn't getting anywhere, I'm done.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    By in large, most LEO's are doing a job that some of us couldn't or wont do. They deserve the benefit of the doubt. Two sides to each story and coin.

Top Bottom