• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Why do so many people type "AN LEO"? It's "A LEO". You wouldn't say "I got pulled over by an law enforcement officer", you would say "I got pulled over by a law enforcement officer".

It just bugs the **** out of me, and I'm not even a grammar nazi.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Never had a problem I didn't, myself, create or contribute to.

So, I haven't had a problem in almost 4 decades carrying a gun. Nothing questionable, nothing questioned.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    impd seized my handgun without asking...i was in passenger seat of car, so i wasnt gonna lock my friends car door and make the driver out to be an ass.....they took my gun, unloaded it, and gave it back 10 min later.....i was so nervous when he was taking it out of the holster that i actually requested he "be careful".....i really didnt want to have any nervous feelings about guns that night...but when a complete stranger is removing a loaded one from your holster and sweeping your entire lower back/buttocks area its kinda hard to avoid being nervous..........

anyways, he was very polite and professional in his conversation, just not up to par on his actions.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have found for the most part, people who have the most problem with police officers seem to have a problem with authority in general. Not always the case, but most of the time true.

I have found that plenty of such people do not have a problem with authority per se but rather the usurpation of authority.

I don't understand why this has become so complicated. There's always gonna be good and bad apples in ANY form of occupation.

This is true, but a bad plumber doesn't have the potential to mess up the rest of your life.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just love all police officers. :wwub: I have nothing bad to say. (Is that good Frank?)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just love all police officers. :wwub: I have nothing bad to say. (Is that good Frank?)

Does this mean that Frank shouldn't have any question in his mind of the origins if flowers and chocolates mysteriously start showing up? :D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have no opinion on any officer until I personally have interacted with them.

I have had both good and bad experiences with officers.There is no way to lump them all together.One of the worst and most dishonest people I ever meet was a police officer.One of the greatest men I have meet in my life that I respect is a police officer.

Treat people honestly and with respect,that is all I would ask of anyone officer or not.:twocents:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Does this mean that Frank shouldn't have any question in his mind of the origins if flowers and chocolates mysteriously start showing up? :D
    Naw. That would be too pushy. I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea. Besides, I'd get my clock cleaned by my other half. She doesn't like me giving out flowers and candy to just anyone. Go figure. :dunno:

exbrit

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    Tough Job

I will be honest and admit up front, its a job I wouldn't have the patience for nor the ability to deal with the less savory element of our population.
    I live in a small town and for the past three years or so, we had a very young police department. They had almost a non existent relationship with the town population and came across as FBI wanna be's.
    Fortunately, late last year we hired a new Town Marshall and all is good! He has forced the younger ones to actually talk and interact with the population. The Marshall has a good personality and takes the time to stop and chat and get to know the people. Last week I caught him in my driveway and asked nicely what he was up to! He told me I had a deer in my back garden. Luckily it had managed to get out and all was well. The nice thing was we stood and chatted for a few minutes and it was a nice interchange.
    We need more interaction between the police and ourselves. It works!
    As I said earlier, its a job I couldn't do and I respect them for it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I know what you're saying, but that's a different comparison. We're talking about a non-LEO who has had bad experiences with 100% of LEOs he's met. You're comparing it to an LEO who's had bad experiences with a small percentage of the many non-LEOs he's met.

Hmmm, if a person has a bad interaction with 100% of the law enforcement they meet, yet others seem to have good interactions with law enforcement that they meet, what is the common factor? Could it be you? Me thinks it could.

I have a friend that thinks his neighbors are a**h**es. He has thought that about every neighbor he has had in the last 5 places he has lived. In his mind, he just has bad luck with neighbors. Yet, at a picnic at his house, if someone suggests that the music might be a bit loud, he quickly responds that 'The neighbors are all a bunch of pricks, so screw them'. He really does think that he just has bad luck with the neighbors.

If you have had 100% bad experiences with law enforcement, the overwhelming probability is that you are the problem.

BTW, the friend with the neighbor issue really is a decent guy. The problem is that he demands respect before he will offer it. That rarely works out well.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    From reading past posts...Im getting alot of mixed reviews in regards to cops. As a LEO of 8 years, Im curious on what you think of your cops, what they do good, and what they could improve upon. How did they treat you and where you happy or unhappy with the end result of your contact.

I believe in respecting the police, and I have almost in every case received nothing but respect and professionalism from police. I think people who get agitated at police do nothing more than make the police officer agitated. Do you really think you will solve anything on the street getting belligerent with a LEO?

The only bad experience I have ever had with a LEO was when I accidentally went straight through an intersection from a right turn only lane. I was politely trying to explain that the markings on the road were worn and barely visible, and he kept interrupting me and raising his voice. I just shut up and figured I would tell it to the judge.

Just keep in mind that police officers are people too. Police officers deal with a lot more stress than most people do at their jobs, so always treat the officer with courtesy, respect, and restraint.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Why do so many people type "AN LEO"? It's "A LEO". You wouldn't say "I got pulled over by an law enforcement officer", you would say "I got pulled over by a law enforcement officer".

It just bugs the **** out of me, and I'm not even a grammar nazi.

Its because you use "an" if the next word 'sound' like a vowel, so it's an LEO.

If you're actually saying law enforcement, then its' a law enforcement officer.

Anything that "sound" like a vowel for, you use "an"

*she's an LPN
    *she's a RN

Top Bottom