This place could be a little more welcoming...just my opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    Hello,

I am new to INGO and new to shooting in general. I purchased my first gun about a month ago after doing a ton of research on what would be best for me and my intended purpose for the gun. I spoke to friends who are avid shooters, watched countless YouTube videos and have read many, many posts on INGO.

I decided on the Glock 27, and I have put about 300 rounds through it so far in my attempt to learn the weapon and become a proficient shooter. Anyhow, as I said, I've spent a bunch of time on INGO researching guns, holsters, shops, where to buy ammo, etc, and I've noticed that this forum isn't always very welcoming to newbies. I've seen repeated bashing of new posters with accusations of trying to drive up post count for the right to purchase in the classifieds. While this may be true for some, I can personally say that it is not true of all. I, for one, have zero interest in another firearm until I finish the training I've started, get in plenty of practice, and get much more comfortable with the gun I already own. Many times I've seen snide comments like, "You're on your way. Only 35 to go", when someone comments on a general thread with a short response. Meanwhile, 50 other people may have posted on the same thread with similar responses, but because they've already earned their stripes, so to speak, there is a different standard. Candidly, this has made me somewhat hesitant to get involved in a few conversations, despite the fact that I've never been accused of trying to "race to 50".

Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox now, but next time you see someone new posting don't be so quick to judge. They may actually have something to add to the conversation. Just food for thought.

Stay warm everybody, and have a good weekend. I'll likely pop over to Tim's in Westfield and send a few more rounds down range.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hello,

I am new to INGO and new to shooting in general. I purchased my first gun about a month ago after doing a ton of research on what would be best for me and my intended purpose for the gun. I spoke to friends who are avid shooters, watched countless YouTube videos and have read many, many posts on INGO.

I decided on the Glock 27, and I have put about 300 rounds through it so far in my attempt to learn the weapon and become a proficient shooter. Anyhow, as I said, I've spent a bunch of time on INGO researching guns, holsters, shops, where to buy ammo, etc, and I've noticed that this forum isn't always very welcoming to newbies. I've seen repeated bashing of new posters with accusations of trying to drive up post count for the right to purchase in the classifieds. While this may be true for some, I can personally say that it is not true of all. I, for one, have zero interest in another firearm until I finish the training I've started, get in plenty of practice, and get much more comfortable with the gun I already own. Many times I've seen snide comments like, "You're on your way. Only 35 to go", when someone comments on a general thread with a short response. Meanwhile, 50 other people may have posted on the same thread with similar responses, but because they've already earned their stripes, so to speak, there is a different standard. Candidly, this has made me somewhat hesitant to get involved in a few conversations, despite the fact that I've never been accused of trying to "race to 50".

Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox now, but next time you see someone new posting don't be so quick to judge. They may actually have something to add to the conversation. Just food for thought.

Stay warm everybody, and have a good weekend. I'll likely pop over to Tim's in Westfield and send a few more rounds down range.
    Welcome and you're the FNG here. It's a good forum and we're all just human. All types of personalities, moods, attitudes, agendas, beliefs, etc.
    I'm sure you'll get the hang and feel of the forum as well. I've made some great friends here and there's some I've met I wouldn't **** on them IF they were on fire. LIke anywhere in life you've got haters, idiots, freaks and geeks. We're a big melting pot here.
    Again, Welcome to INGO and hang in there. It's worth it. But be warned....It's addicting as well.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't take it personally gsxr, INGO is a microcosm of society, we have our share of *******s here too. You'll learn everyones personalities in due time but you'll learn who to blow off even quicker! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    Welcome and you're the FNG here. It's a good forum and we're all just human. All types of personalities, moods, attitudes, agendas, beliefs, etc.
    I'm sure you'll get the hang and feel of the forum as well. I've made some great friends here and there's some I've met I wouldn't **** on them IF they were on fire. LIke anywhere in life you've got haters, idiots, freaks and geeks. We're a big melting pot here.
    Again, Welcome to INGO and hang in there. It's worth it. But be warned....It's addicting as well.

Oh, I'm not going anywhere. I like it here. I'm absorbing the knowledge and have thick enough skin to brush off the rubbish. I was just hoping to give people something to think about. I appreciate your comment, and for the record, I'm already addicted. Take care.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

While it's true that there are some folks who are quick to comment on the "race to the 50," the proportion of people who AREN'T racing to 50 posts who post on-line responses to threads are fairly small compared to those who are, AND it's pretty easy to tell who is because their post history is a bunch of those one line inane posts within the last hour or two. More often than not those are also the same people who get rude and defensive when you try to be nice to them and point out the site rules.

Moreover, this is the net, you need a thicker skin to be on MOST groups, not just this one. ALSO, that's a pretty broad brush you paint with. Out of hundreds of people who are on at any one time you might get one or two who snark at newbies just to be a jerk. Those people aren't going to give a rat's hiney about your admonition and are going to be rude regardless.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and part of contributing to the place is learning to ignore those you think are jerks. It's a good life philosophy as well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've seen snide comments like, "You're on your way. Only 35 to go"
    Although I don't make those comments, it's hard not to become jaded about newcomers when you click into a thread you're following, only to see comments from the same n00b like:

"1"

"2"

"3"

Or a dead thread resurrected with "hi".

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Hello,

Welcome to INGO!! It's a lot like the real world. Gotta have thick skin. I've learned that you'll come across people here who at first come across as a little raw and rough. But after time you learn that most all here are more then willing to help and answer questions! You'll not find a more knowledgable group then here at INGO! Good things in life are not always Kumbaya! Keep getting involved and don't take things personally , after all it's just the interweb! Good luck!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't pick on new members because I was new once. I treat others like I want to be treated. Every new member isn't posting away to get to the classifieds. Some are but some aren't. There's one (or several) in every crowd.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I hopped in the post whore thread on day 1. And they flamed me. I got over it. Didnt buy anything off here til I had 2k posts or so. Its all good. Thick skin. Wear it.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    ... I'll likely pop over to Tim's in Westfield and send a few more rounds down range.

How is that range? I live near there, and was curious if it's worth going. I typically shoot outdoors, but lately it's been so damn cold. I heard you have to take a class to shoot there. Can you bring your own ammo? Do the patrons practice safe gun handling? I usually avoid public ranges for this reason.

BTW, welcome aboard.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is a gun enthusiast forum with a benefit of a classified section. We have had people come on here just to participate in the classifieds. Which is fine as long as they follow the rules. When people attempt to circumvent the rules it gets to some of us. Because many of us think of this as a community, not a classified seller site like gunbroker. It is best to adopt the mindset that this not my house be Fenways. He set up a forum so we could all interact in a somewhat reasonable fashion. If you are not one of the people trying to circumvent the system then take it as it is meant, good natured ribbing. Just my two cents, you got my opinion on the matter for free take it for whats it worth.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I agree. I've been on the receiving end of the snide comments, but I'll admit to being guilty of jumping on the bandwagon of snark a couple of times also. Overall, it's a great place.

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    How is that range? I live near there, and was curious if it's worth going. I typically shoot outdoors, but lately it's been so damn cold. I heard you have to take a class to shoot there. Can you bring your own ammo? Do the patrons practice safe gun handling? I usually avoid public ranges for this reason.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Thanks. I haven't been there yet. I've been going down to Beech Grove Firearms and Indy Trading Post, but my friend shot at Tim's last weekend and had good things to say. It's much closer to me than the others, so I plan on checking them out this weekend. My friend said he had to watch a 5-6 minute safety video which he felt was pretty basic knowledge but served as a little reminder. He was able to shoot his own ammo, though I've read on their site they do have some ammo limitations for certain rifle calibers, http://timsshootingacademy.com/images/Documents/TSAW-Rules-Regulations-v1-2-2014.pdf.

He also told me that all weapons need to come into the shop in a bag (can't be holstered or carried in). He planned on shooting his EDC so he bagged it up, but his rifle was not in a bag. He had to purchase a bag at the shop in order to take it to the range.

It's a little more expensive than some of the other places around town, but it seems justifiable to me if it saves me some time on the road.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    (side tracking thread): suzgsxr1300: Safe to assume you own / owned / like the Hayabusa? Find the bike thread and post some pics!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I still get smart comments and I have way more than 50 posts.:):

Seriously though, I have posted wise cracks about members racing to the classifieds, I've reported my fair share of those, too. It really is pretty obvious who's doing it and who isn't, it gets tiresome sometimes seeing people taking up space just to get in the classifieds, you'll see what we mean after you've been around a while. As others have said, hang in there and let people get to know you a little, nice place with a lot of nice people!

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    There are no personal attacks here, and my feelings have not been hurt. I was never accused of racing to 50, though I may end up being so after opening this can of worms. :-)

I understand the intent of the rule, I agree with it, and I understand that there are some that may try and circumvent the rule. I also understand that this is a microcosm of society filled with a multitude of personalities and attitudes. As I said, I was just making an observation, providing some food for thought. It is a strong community, made up of good people with a ton of knowledge. I look forward to being part of the community and soaking up as much of the knowledge as possible. I also hope to contribute to brain trust. I just wanted to say that some, not all, should be a little more willing to welcome new people to the party.

With that, I better get back to work. Thanks for taking the time to read my rant and offer your opinions. Have a good day.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I still get smart comments and I have way more than 50 posts.:):

Seriously though, I have posted wise cracks about members racing to the classifieds, I've reported my fair share of those, too. It really is pretty obvious who's doing it and who isn't, it gets tiresome sometimes seeing people taking up space just to get in the classifieds, you'll see what we mean after you've been around a while. As others have said, hang in there and let people get to know you a little, nice place with a lot of nice people!

But how many are quality posts? Maybe 5? I know I've only had 2 quality posts so I'm still trying to make a run towards the classifieds.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tumblr_luu0tcoxz61qkvsam.png

Top Bottom