This place could be a little more welcoming...just my opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've been around here for a while and I'm still not sure if I meet the 50 quality posts qualification. I will also admit to attempting the very thing you're talking about once upon a time. :whistle: I've also learned to accept the fact that this forum has a lot to offer and I don't make the rules here. Abiding by the rules is one thing, taking them too personal or too seriously is another. If you take things too personal or too seriously, there aren't too many places on line or otherwise where you will be happy. Enjoy the forum. I know I have.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hello,

I am new to INGO and new to shooting in general. I purchased my first gun about a month ago after doing a ton of research on what would be best for me and my intended purpose for the gun. I spoke to friends who are avid shooters, watched countless YouTube videos and have read many, many posts on INGO.

I decided on the Glock 27, and I have put about 300 rounds through it so far in my attempt to learn the weapon and become a proficient shooter. Anyhow, as I said, I've spent a bunch of time on INGO researching guns, holsters, shops, where to buy ammo, etc, and I've noticed that this forum isn't always very welcoming to newbies. I've seen repeated bashing of new posters with accusations of trying to drive up post count for the right to purchase in the classifieds. While this may be true for some, I can personally say that it is not true of all. I, for one, have zero interest in another firearm until I finish the training I've started, get in plenty of practice, and get much more comfortable with the gun I already own. Many times I've seen snide comments like, "You're on your way. Only 35 to go", when someone comments on a general thread with a short response. Meanwhile, 50 other people may have posted on the same thread with similar responses, but because they've already earned their stripes, so to speak, there is a different standard. Candidly, this has made me somewhat hesitant to get involved in a few conversations, despite the fact that I've never been accused of trying to "race to 50".

Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox now, but next time you see someone new posting don't be so quick to judge. They may actually have something to add to the conversation. Just food for thought.

Stay warm everybody, and have a good weekend. I'll likely pop over to Tim's in Westfield and send a few more rounds down range.

I didn't get to :welcome: you, in the intro., thread..... so :welcome: to :ingo: from Greenfield ..... your skin needs to be thick, sometimes, or just learn who to ignore .... I have posted several times, that I am willing to help anyone.... so if you feel like it, hit me up, and we can get together, and learn something .....

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I'm new here and havn't experienced anything snarky or felt insulted. I lurked on this site for a couple of months before I joined so I could vet the people on here. Its just like everyday life and interaction with people you don't know. Not everybody will agree with you and we can disagree but still be friends. I espouse my beliefs and if you convince me that I'm wrong I'll own up to it. As far as the post police I think the way to escape the wrath is post something other than "Yeah, me too." in the hazing period. I dont always agree with evrybody here but I'm reasonably certain that we all have something in common by being here. Build on it and be yourself cause nobody likes a phony. BTW welcome to INGO!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Im special!:rockwoot:

tPtYRwkDv.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I posted in this thread.

And if you judge by snapdragon's posting pace, most of us (except maybe Sylvain) are slackers.

Wait, what? Posting rate is going to go down. I've had a lot of time off work since December. Now I actually have a job to do that will keep me away from INGO several hours a day. :rolleyes:

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    OP, welcome. :welcome: :wavey:

While a couple of smileys don't really make up for the snark you mention, I'm partly sorry and partly not sorry that our members do that.

As mentioned upthread, our focus here since 2008 has been that INGO is not only a family-friendly board, but a community unto itself.
    We are protective of that community, and we carry guns. :):
    Seriously, the self-policing, as you indicate you understand, is a good thing. Some of us get a little overzealous, and there are times I start seeing "I agree", "Yeah, that", and "^^What he said" posts and I have to look to see first who the poster is (that is, long timer with a high post count vs. spamming newbie) and then, if I pull up a newbie's post history and see a bunch of that or the dreaded, "1", "2", "3", occasionally, I have to read through them all to make sure I'm not trashing the one quality post in the pile of one-liners. (though I will admit it's kinda fun sometimes to let them get to #49 and then merge them all together into one. Yeah, once in a great while, I'm that guy.)
    With all that, it saddens me that some good contributors, just getting their feet wet here, so to speak, get caught up in that net. I don't really know of a workable solution to that; Only the guy posting knows his true intent, though looking at patterns, sometimes it feels like we can predict the future.

Regardless of all the above, I am glad you've posted this OP and continued in the thread to follow. This is a point of which we should all remain cognizant, and guard our actions so as to not run off the good folks.

I'd like to take a moment to thank the members who do keep watch on the board and report those things they see that violate the site rules. You are all very much appreciated for doing so, as with so few mods, we cannot be everywhere. (We can, however, be where you least expect us. :shady: ;) )

To all, a good day, a better weekend, and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill, I'm glad to be part of this community. I appreciate what it must take to moderate such an active community, and as I mentioned previously, I also understand and appreciate the classifieds rule. In fact, the intent of my post was never to complain about the rule, or to make a general statement that this is not a good community, I was just trying to convey that I've witnessed some being less than welcoming to new members. I never experienced any of the "snarky" remarks myself, but I did think twice about getting involved in the conversation because I didn't want to appear to be trying to game the system and be accused of such. It is clear now that some may have been deserving of the accusations, but for me, I have no real interest in participating in the classifieds. I don't have anything to sell, and I am not ready to buy anything else. Well, I may be ready, but it's going to take some time to convince my wife that I "need" more than one gun. :): I suspect I'll be well past 50 when the time comes. I joined the group; 1) because I hope to learn (and I have), 2) because I want to hang out with people with which I share a common interest, and 3) because I enjoy intelligent conversation and a little healthy debate from time to time.

In response to the others that have taken the time to respond, thank you as well. I look forward to many more conversations with you...even those of you who took offense to my OP. I'll admit that I may have even deserved a bit of the "resentment", for lack of a better word. As one other poster remarked, "I painted with broad strokes".

TheRude1, yes, technically it would be GSX1300R, but who calls it that? I should have used gixxer1300 I suppose. In reality, I sold the bike awhile back when I got a ticket going way faster than any adult with a family should be going. I've used this username for other accounts for several years, so it's easy for me to remember. I plan to buy something a little more relaxed this summer.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Top Bottom