• ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    :rolleyes:

Glocks dont have frame mounted safety, get over it and use another gun if you want a frame mounted safety.
    If you add one to a Glock you will no longer have a Glock and will no longer have Glock reliability.
    If you are willing to bet your life on some aftermarket parts then go for it.

Also if you are trained to remove the safety, on your other guns, in high stree situations then that's good, if you are not you may think again about using a gun with a frame mounted safety.
    The good thing about a frame mounted safety, is you can flick the lever down with your thumb at a blink of an eye;)

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The good thing about a frame mounted safety, is you can flick the lever down with your thumb at a plink of an eye;)

But we are talking about aftermarket parts that will change the internals of the gun, it does not come from the factory like that.
    Unless you are a qualified gunsmith I wouldn't mess with the internal parts of your gun.

It looks like you want to mount that safety, no matter what other members and myself can tell you, so just go for it.

Once again, it's your gun, your money, and your life when it comes to using a gun modified with aftermarket parts for self defense.

Im not sure why you started this thread if you wont listen to what we have to tell you.If you just wanted to say that you were going to do it then just do it.
    If you were looking for our advices then you are clearly not listening to what we have to tell you.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Your gun

As the instructor in my armorers class stated on several occasions," It's your gun. I don't care if you cut in half with a hacksaw. But I don't recommend it". :rolleyes: :D

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Worst case is don't put one in the chamber. This only takes a split second if you practice at the range. I always thought that I would have time during the "thinking stage" of self defense to make this happen quickly.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Worst case is don't put one in the chamber. This only takes a split second if you practice at the range. I always thought that I would have time during the "thinking stage" of self defense to make this happen quickly.

There's all sorts of scenarios where that isn't quite so manageable. Sometimes, you don't get a thinking stage...

Take your non-dominant hand out of the equation. Take your dominant hand out of the equation. Lots of reason to chamber and it's plenty safe if you carry correctly. Why put one more road block in the way of protecting yourself?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yippy! I'm a genius!

Except your reading comprehension is poor. Glocks don't require more training. People who think they need external safeties do.

Also, if he had posted that he was going to carry a 1911 or a SP101, I would still have advocated that he get training.
    My reading comprehension is fine. You said anyone who wants an external safety needs more training. More training or more koolaid? I respect people's decision on what firearms and what features they prefer. I don't look down upon them if it is different than mine. So anybody that disagrees with you needs more training? I was in the service for 26 years and have known many, many combat veterans who liked their safeties just fine. But, I am sure paper shooting professionals know best. The very first thing a professional instructor knows is that what is right for him or her might not be right for everyone. Get a grip. Pride goeth before the fall.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    i'm sorry but i would never set aside general firearm saftey knowledge and common sense in favor of a mechanical device for a weapon that was never designed for said device. kind of seems more negligent to me.
    Someone tell my why it has to be one or the other. I was trained on a 1911. I feel comfortable with a safe gun. Sorry if that offends. That doesn't mean I am untrained or that I require additional training. It means I prefer a safe gun.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Someone tell my why it has to be one or the other. I was trained on a 1911. I feel comfortable with a safe gun. Sorry if that offends. That doesn't mean I am untrained or that I require additional training. It means I prefer a safe gun.
    My favorite guns are 1911, & for me it's the best target & self-defense gun:rockwoot:I would like all my guns to have a safety I'm used to

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I really wasn't trying to make this a Glock vs. 1911 thread. I have great respect for the Glock and I think that Gunman does too. That's why when something is offered that might make it a gun capable of being carried we were interested. Obviously, your points about aftermarket parts are dead on target and after considering your arguments I agree. But that just leaves me regretting that if I purchased a Glock it would be a range queen only.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    A lot of people would probably buy Glocks or Keltecs if they had an external safety. It is a comfort factor with some people. Anyone that is saying he needs training or whatever crap you might be spewing from you ignorance should step back and think about what you are saying.

Because you have basically said anyone that carries a 1911 which has an external safety and a rear grip safety must need more training.:dunno:

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    A lot of people would probably buy Glocks or Keltecs if they had an external safety. It is a comfort factor with some people. Anyone that is saying he needs training or whatever crap you might be spewing from you ignorance should step back and think about what you are saying.

Because you have basically said anyone that carries a 1911 which has an external safety and a rear grip safety must need more training.:dunno:

I believe the thought was if you are uncomfortable carrying a gun without an external safety, you may just need to train around not having one. Just like training with an AK is different than an AR. I certainly didn't mean to say that anyone that owns a 1911 needs more training. Although, I do own one and I feel like I can always use more training!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't like external safeties for several reasons:

• Its one more part that can fail and cause the gun not to function when you need it.
    • Its one more part you need to manipulate before the gun can be fired-- at best it complicates things and at worst it keeps you from firing it under stress.
    • It fosters a mindset of "the safety is engaged, so its safe", which often leads to otherwise unsafe handling of the firearm.
    I wouldn't recommend adding an external safety to a Glock that you are going to carry and use defensively.

Top Bottom