• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I completely agree with Shay on additional training and 09hemi on having the smarts to keep your finger off the trigger.

As for the officer in the video posted above, he failed to follow safety rules that led to this incident. It was not the Glock at fault, but the operator.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You know what you need to make a glock a carry gun? A holster that covers the trigger guard and the smarts to keep ur finger off the trigger

:yesway: +1!

I never had any ND even with guns that had very light triggers (im talking air trigger with competition guns) and no external safeties.
    Because I always keep my finger OFF the trigger until im ready to shoot.
    That makes any gun I grab a safe gun.

I guess if the OP mounts an external safety on his gun, he will shoot himself as soon as he grabs a regular Glock without external safety (like all Glocks should be) if he has no trigger discipline.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Instead of unnecessary gadgets, how about some training?
    It is this kind of attitude that always turns me away from Glocks. I looked at this post and thought maybe, with the addition of a manual safety, I could find myself warming up to the Glock. But some genius always comes along and reminds me of why I don't.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I worry more about some one else finger on the trigger of my glock, not mine own

:dunno:

You mean the finger of a five years old girl?

I dont see how anyone would have their finger on the trigger of YOUR gun.
    If that's a problem for you then you need some weapon retention class as well.
    And having an external safety never kept anyone from getting shot with their own gun, that's why you need to train in weapon retention.
    Once your gun is in someone else's hands then you have a big problem. :n00b:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Glock pistols already have THREE safeties. Why add another? It won't make the pistol any safer, and it won't make the owner any safer.

-J-
    So if there is a round in the chamber, & a twig, pen, or finger pulls the trigger all the safety you mention won't do :poop: in keeping the glock from shooting

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    It is this kind of attitude that always turns me away from Glocks. I looked at this post and thought maybe, with the addition of a manual safety, I could find myself warming up to the Glock. But some genius always comes along and reminds me of why I don't.

Yippy! I'm a genius!

Except your reading comprehension is poor. Glocks don't require more training. People who think they need external safeties do.

Also, if he had posted that he was going to carry a 1911 or a SP101, I would still have advocated that he get training.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So if there is a round in the chamber, & a twig, pen, or finger pulls the trigger all the safety you mention won't do :poop: in keeping the glock from shooting

Of course, the gun is designed to fire when a finger pulls the trigger, that's actually a good thing that could save your life, should you need to use your gun.
    That's why you train to keep your finger away from the trigger unless you are ready to shoot.
    And with a good holster nothing will get into your trigger guard.
    Now if you carry your gun just in a pocket without holster, with a pen inside as well, you need to get some common sense. :n00b:

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Seriously?

First off very very very few people are going agree with you on the external safety on a glock. Second off if your worried about tigs, pens or other fingers maybe u shouldnt carry a gun. Honestly at this point I think ur just trying to argue. DONT ADD A SAFETY ADD SOME TRAINING

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If a twig or pen is in the trigger guard then where are you carrying it and in what kind of holster?
    If you carry it, it should be in a holster. If it is in a holster, nothing can get in the trigger guard. If you need the gun for self defense you remove it from the holster and then YOU deactivate the safeties when you put your finger on the trigger when you are ready to fire.

Now, the above is my opinion, and although I do not understand adding something that may compromise the dependability of my handgun, if it is what you want to do to your gun, go for it. It will more than likely kill the resale value, but you might not care about that.
    Glocks have proven to be safe guns, people have had NDs with every kind of gun. Bottom line is if you keep your finger off the trigger it wont go boom. If you, or someone else, wants it to go boom it will go boom. A thumb safety will not keep a BG from shooting you with your own gun.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Of course, the gun is designed to fire when a finger pulls the trigger, that's actually a good thing that could save your life, should you need to use your gun.
    That's why you train to keep your finger away from the trigger unless you are ready to shoot.
    And with a good holster nothing will get into your trigger guard.
    Now if you carry your gun just in a pocket without holster, with a pen inside as well, you need to get some common sense. :n00b:
    I bet that if the GLOCK has a frame mounted safety, no twig, pen, or finger can accidently make the glock fire;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    IMO, anyone who decides to carry a gun, regardless of what type of gun it is, should get quality training.

Why? Because its more beneficial than actually carrying a gun. It'll open your eyes real quick.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    you know what else could have prevented that...checking your gear before u use it...you really need to stop this YOU ARE WRONG...but if it makes u feel better do it and shut up about it

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I bet that if the GLOCK has a frame mounted safety, no twig, pen, or finger can accidently make the glock fire;)

Safeties are just mechanical devices and they can fail too. To me, putting a frame mounted safety on a Glock because you're afraid twigs or pens getting into your trigger guard is like putting floaties on your car in case you drive into water. No twigs or pens or stray fingers should be getting into the trigger guard of any gun you have. Even the ones with an external safety.

Use and carry the gun in the manner it was designed to be used and no external safety is needed. Especially not an aftermarket system that may not be as reliable.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

My Glock has no frame mounted safety and none of those things ever make it go off by accident. :dunno:
    It's all about training and common sense.
    And if I need to shoot I dont have to worry about removing the safety, I just have to pull the trigger.

I store my pens in a separate place, away from any loaded gun.
    Now if you really want to carry a loaded gun in the same pocket where you carry your pens and twigs, then yeah sure get a frame mounted safety.
    But in that case maybe not carrying a gun at all would be even saffer.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    $90 can buy a good amount of SD ammo, or some range ammo.

a LEO i shot at a range with once said that in a high stress situation the first thing to slow you down is your fine motor skills, i.e. finger dexterity. he was talking about racking the slide with your hand versus operating the slide release on reloads, but its the same idea. :twocents:

this was from a Iraq war veteran, trained LEO, certified pistol armorer, and range training officer.

you may feel safe with the safety until you need your gun quickly, and are so hopped up on fear/adrenaline you forget to unlock it.

Top Bottom