• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    After my last range trip, I'm thinking about adding 2 or 3 external safeties to my Glock 27. I got attacked by 5 year olds carrying pens and other people's fingers. While I was getting ready to shoot my 1911, those same 5 year olds ran off a bit saddened because they couldn't get other people's fingers and pens to fire the gun. I tricked them with my safety. Now I've got to think about method of attachment. I think maybe some super glue, duct tape, and maybe some hot glue.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    After my last range trip, I'm thinking about adding 2 or 3 external safeties to my Glock 27. I got attacked by 5 year olds carrying pens and other people's fingers. While I was getting ready to shoot my 1911, those same 5 year olds ran off a bit saddened because they couldn't get other people's fingers and pens to fire the gun. I tricked them with my safety. Now I've got to think about method of attachment. I think maybe some super glue, duct tape, and maybe some hot glue.

:):

That's how I carry my Glock for extra safety.

stblock.jpg

I dont have to carry my 1911 that way, of course, since it has an external safety. ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That is a great idea but I'm horrible remember combinations. Maybe a keyed lock would work better for me.

I thought about a keyed lock, that way I can also leave the key at home for added safety.Someone else could guess the combination and fire the gun. :n00b:

Of course you are never too safe and can add two cable locks as well.
    One going through the barrel.

pgroup_6923_image_260_shadow.jpg

And one through the magazine well.

glock3x2@72.gif

With those three locks in place it should bring you close to the safety you have with a 1911 with external safety, close. :yesway:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Cable locks would work great even if I forgot the keys at home because I always carry bolt cutters. Normally just use them to trim my toenails, I've got a nasty fungus, randomly in public.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I thought about a keyed lock, that way I can also leave the key at home for added safety.Someone else could guess the combination and fire the gun. :n00b:

Of course you are never too safe and can add two cable locks as well.
    One going through the barrel.

pgroup_6923_image_260_shadow.jpg

And one through the magazine well.

glock3x2@72.gif

With those three locks in place it should bring you close to the safety you have with a 1911 with external safety, close. :yesway:

That's way too dangerous. What if you ran into a 5 year old girl with bolt cutters that was a certified Glock armorer? Here's how I carry my G26; encased in a block of granite.

12x6x3%20Paver.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you can't remember the 1st rule of handgun safety FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOOD SIGHT PICTURE then what makes you think you'll remember to activate your fancy new safety lever?

Well, that isn't the first rule of gun safety (at least, not as laid down by the venerable Col. Cooper), and I do a lot of shooting without a good "sight picture", but your point is very valid.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I'm trying to figure out why I wasted my time reading 4 pages into this thread:popcorn:

its like a car wreck...you just cant look away....cant.....look.....away:dunno:

i carry my glocks with the zip strip that the check in officer at the gun show put on it...a police officer said that it was a safety issue so it must be safe:D

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not sure why all the butthurt. While I prefer Glocks, I know guys that are 100% reliable with a 1911 and that's cool. While I will NEVER poopoo a person's choice to carry a gun with an external safety, I would STRONGLY against modifying a gun to install one. If I decided that I wanted an external safety but liked the feel of a Glock, I would choose a Smith M&P in a heartbeat. It was designed with the safety in mind. When I was first issued my X26 Taser I had to deploy it under stress one time. Well the X26 has an external safety much like you see on a 1911. When I drew, I aimed and pulled the trigger (like my Glock) and nothing happened. I had an "oh crap" moment until I realized I needed to flick the safety. Then all was well. Then and there I vowed to NEVER carry a pistol that had a safety (at the time we were allowed to carry a 1911 off-duty and I was considering it) due to my thousands of hours of training with a point/shoot pistol. I would have to retrain myself. Stick with what you know and train with. If you know external safeties...stick with them, If you know point and shoot, stick with that. There is room for both in our world so there is no reason to get upset about it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not sure why all the butthurt. While I prefer Glocks, I know guys that are 100% reliable with a 1911 and that's cool. While I will NEVER poopoo a person's choice to carry a gun with an external safety, I would STRONGLY against modifying a gun to install one. If I decided that I wanted an external safety but liked the feel of a Glock, I would choose a Smith M&P in a heartbeat. It was designed with the safety in mind. When I was first issued my X26 Taser I had to deploy it under stress one time. Well the X26 has an external safety much like you see on a 1911. When I drew, I aimed and pulled the trigger (like my Glock) and nothing happened. I had an "oh crap" moment until I realized I needed to flick the safety. Then all was well. Then and there I vowed to NEVER carry a pistol that had a safety (at the time we were allowed to carry a 1911 off-duty and I was considering it) due to my thousands of hours of training with a point/shoot pistol. I would have to retrain myself. Stick with what you know and train with. If you know external safeties...stick with them, If you know point and shoot, stick with that. There is room for both in our world so there is no reason to get upset about it.
    Thank you for interjecting some wisdom into this thread. I completely agree with you.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I didn't even make it to the external safety part for a while -- I got stuck laughing about the ridiculous notion that you would use a Glock as a carry gun. But then to think you could do so with the simple addition of a safety? Oh, j00 keel me! Too funny. Between that and all the (*) and koolaid peddling...

This thread just keeps on delivering. :thumbsup:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart

And I'm all outta rep!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

I don't really care about whether or not the OP destroys his Glock with a crappy aftermarket safety, but I would like to chime in here to ask...

What is 'butthurt'?

Top Bottom