• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I grew up on 10th and Post, and later moved just south of Washington St and Mitthoeffer. While we lived on a dead-end road off of 10th, there was one night we came back from dinner and we couldn't get to our house... police had the road blocked because a guy was just shot and killed in front of the house 3 doors down from our house.

All through high school I had friends from all kinds of colorful neighborhoods. I was heavily involved in my church off 30th and Post too, which caused me to frequent that area most of the time. Most of the kids I hung out with through the church were in Lawrence.

Then I moved to Anderson for college and rented a house in, again, a rather rough neighborhood. I'm glad to be out of Anderson now, but I had no desire to go back to the eastside. It was either Washington and Arlington with my dad or Washington and German Church with my mom. I chose Fishers :D I've only been here for less than 3 weeks now, but it so much better than anywhere else I've lived. Yet there are still some shady people in my apartment complex. I guess you get that anywhere though.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My brother got robbed at gunpoint on the west side. My sister was in the middle of a pharmacy robbery on the south side. Crime can happen anywhere.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My brother got robbed at gunpoint on the west side. My sister was in the middle of a pharmacy robbery on the south side. Crime can happen anywhere.

:+1:

I live in a very quiet neighborhood on the southside. Nothing ever happens here. However some years back the guy that lived in the house 2 doors down from me shot up the neighborhood with an SKS, killed his mom, shot five (I think five) LEOs and killed one of them before he was killed by return fire.

I would never have believed it could happen in a neighborhood like this and I didn't live here at that point in time. But it CAN happen anywhere. It's just more prevalent in certain areas.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    :+1:

I live in a very quiet neighborhood on the southside. Nothing ever happens here. However some years back the guy that lived in the house 2 doors down from me shot up the neighborhood with an SKS, killed his mom, shot five (I think five) LEOs and killed one of them before he was killed by return fire.

I would never have believed it could happen in a neighborhood like this and I didn't live here at that point in time. But it CAN happen anywhere. It's just more prevalent in certain areas.
    That's the scary part - people say, "I don't need a gun, I live in a great neighborhood!"

Being in a great neighborhood just means it's less likely - not that it's impossible/can't happen... Most people I know, however, are of the mindset that they're invincible [i.e. "That won't happen to me."]

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's the scary part - people say, "I don't need a gun, I live in a great neighborhood!"

Being in a great neighborhood just means it's less likely - not that it's impossible/can't happen... Most people I know, however, are of the mindset that they're invincible [i.e. "That won't happen to me."]

Exactly. No one knows when or where crazy will strike.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That and Irvington were the "cool" places for all the young liberals to buy their first home. Do their part for "revitalization." The new Broad Ripple.

Irvington still has its grit on the outskirts, you have to go further and further out of both areas to get tje idea of what it used to be like.

Broadripple is the Jersey Shore of Indianapolis. Such a joke.

None of these places are fully safe, no place will be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd like to add 42-56th and Arlington to the list.

Really? Once you clear 50th it starts getting better fast (to the point there is a NICE gated communities just north of 56th... with the occasional private tennis court even!).

Id say 16th to 42nd (ish) would be a better description. (I work at 30th):n00b: Nothing says fun like working on the roof of one of your buildings and watching investigators pore over a murder scene across the street. :eek:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    It's kinda funny to consider that Indiana Gun Club used to be at 38th and Post. I grew up in Warren Township 40+ yrs. ago and it used to be one of the better areas in town.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    10th and Rural isn't too bad. I don't know how it used to be but it seems like they are trying to fix that area up a bit. I work out there and I rarely have (or hear of) any major issues.

Have not been in that area for a while, but that old Village Panty (if it's still there) was the most robbed VP in Indy.

Anything inside what I call the dead zone is no picnic.

Starting point is 10th and Mass, 3 miles buffer on either side of Mass, till it turns into Pendelton Pike, continue that 3 mile buffer on either side till you get to Post Road, then it changes to 1 mile north, 3.5 miles south.

That my friends is what I call the dead zone, the worst slice of Indianapolis.

Of course there other spots in town, but this area has been getting progressively worse each year for the last 20 years.

Trust me when I say this, I'd rather park a beer truck @ 30th and MLK than the area above.

Anything inside 465? Throw in 20 miles outside of it for good measure.

You really need to get out more.

For all general purposes, 1.5 miles outside 465 is good to go, with the lone exceptions being 2.5 miles on the east side between East Washington and Pendelton Pike.

From my house to 465 is almost 7 miles, my biggest worry is something dropping out of the sky on approach to KIND ( Indianapolis International Airport)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Really? Once you clear 50th it starts getting better fast (to the point there is a NICE gated communities just north of 56th... with the occasional private tennis court even!).

Id say 16th to 42nd (ish) would be a better description. (I work at 30th):n00b: Nothing says fun like working on the roof of one of your buildings and watching investigators pore over a murder scene across the street. :eek:

Make that 46th and Arlington, then it calms out real fast. Only reason I say up to 46th is because of Arlington High School. When ever you see a Taco Bell close down like it did there at Devington Plaza, you know it's not a good area.:D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So no votes yet for Haughville? I grew up in Brownsburg and that was the boogeyman of bad neighborhoods for us. (while not in our immediate area, it was close enough to the track, or a place we had to pass directly through to get to downtown... so it got our attention I guess. )

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Made some deliveries in the neighborhoods closer to 56th.. We were south of 56th but not by much and it wasn't pleasant.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my trade I roll all over the city all the time, they call. I roll. The old 7/11 stores are now called double 8's and if you are familiar with them you know where they are. The company I sub-contract my services too is responsible for the HVAC and Refrigeration in these stores and it is all junk. Of the 6 employees I am the only one that will run after dark service to these locations. I am not brave just do not care. I have a way of dealing with the zombies that hang out in the alley's that they respect and seldom argue with. We (my son and I) give them their space and most times we are left alone. One gets to see how this segment of society lives and I understand so much more than the average person that never goes "DOWN THERE" as they say.
    There are some industrial areas we frequent as well. In all of these areas you will find some good folks. After years of being exposed to these areas you develop a level of SA and know when to be on guard.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just read through this entire thread. My conclusion? Stay out of Indy. Family and friends have invited me to join them at Indy events, but I have always refused. In the last 20 years I have been to Indy for the INGO sponsored OC walk a couple years back, my son's ceremony to receive his state engineering certification, a Pacers game in its old arena, and a couple events related to my son joining the Marines. Everything I saw on those visits made want to leave. Reading this thread confirms my thinking. There is nothing in Indy I want to see or do. The Fort is bad enough for me!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    In my trade I roll all over the city all the time, they call. I roll. The old 7/11 stores are now called double 8's and if you are familiar with them you know where they are. The company I sub-contract my services too is responsible for the HVAC and Refrigeration in these stores and it is all junk. Of the 6 employees I am the only one that will run after dark service to these locations. I am not brave just do not care...

I used to work nights at the 7-11 store at 56th and Lafayette, that store was full of win, let me tell you. I carried my 9mm on my leg, and my 12 gauge behind the seat of my truck. Never had any problems though. You meet all types working graveyard in a convenience store.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    38th and everything , MLK and anything , the area surrounding state fairgrounds , Washington st from white river pkwy west to 465 , Haughville , Mars Hill and pretty much the whole east side .

Top Bottom