• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As I stated elsewhere when this speech was mentioned, I'm looking forward to hearing specifics.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As I stated elsewhere when this speech was mentioned, I'm looking forward to hearing specifics.

Here's where the Trump tax plan once lived:

CpWQrO9XYAA-wcw.jpg:small

Here's a web archive of it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160609213922/https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/trump-tax-reform.pdf

Trump was at 25% top rate for individuals, 15% top corp rate including for pass throughs. Will see where he winds up. Kudlow/Steve Moore said in Cleveland that Trump tax cut price-tag would come down by 1/3rd from $10T.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have heard a variation of the 1% solution that seemed interesting. It goes something like this:
    - 1% cut of spending across the board. Everything. None of this "critical spending" business. And every year (or 2 years), cut another 1%.
    - 1% income tax increases, every year (or 2 years) combined with 1% cut of tax credits. That means if you have a 100% tax credit for something, you can only take 99% of the credit.

The guy postulating it (not a CPA, but a guy that makes sense in a bunch of other areas) said that by the end of a 1st term, we would actually see results, and perhaps ingrain the idea of balancing the budget.

Seemed like a good starting point.

Cuts only. I'm taxed enough already. The place where cuts can most make a sizeable difference is entitlements.

The standard was "mathematically possible". Not unlikely. I think Johnson is on the ballot in all states. If McN00b isn't on the ballot in enough states that add up to 270 electoral votes, it's not just extremely unlikely he can win, like it is with Johnson. It's impossible.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cuts only. I'm taxed enough already. The place where cuts can most make a sizeable difference is entitlements.
    Then we won't make it. :)

When it comes to income tax increases, I'm caught between being pissed that .gov let us get to this point and pissed that I'd have to pay more taxes. Where I (usually) net out is that our generation has to start the process to get it under control. A 1% tax increase isn't going to hurt anyone - even the poor.

Kinda like sequestration, though, it is kinda all or nothing. A 1% cut - including spending on entitlements - has to be part of the solution.

But, I'll also concede that I haven't really done the math. The other guy said he did. Even if the math isn't perfect, it is at least a start.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Then we won't make it. :)

When it comes to income tax increases, I'm caught between being pissed that .gov let us get to this point and pissed that I'd have to pay more taxes. Where I (usually) net out is that our generation has to start the process to get it under control. A 1% tax increase isn't going to hurt anyone - even the poor.

Kinda like sequestration, though, it is kinda all or nothing. A 1% cut - including spending on entitlements - has to be part of the solution.

But, I'll also concede that I haven't really done the math. The other guy said he did. Even if the math isn't perfect, it is at least a start.

A 100% cut in entitlements would probably go further than a 1% increase in income tax.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A 100% cut in entitlements would probably go further than a 1% increase in income tax.
    haha

Well, in terms of spending, sure. :D

But, as a matter of practicalities and policy, eliminating them would not be a good idea.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, at least until Trump comes out with his speech.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    haha

Well, in terms of spending, sure. :D

But, as a matter of practicalities and policy, eliminating them would not be a good idea.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, at least until Trump comes out with his speech.

Maybe but it won't cover the cost of the resulting civil unrest.

I know it isn't politically practical to cut out all entitlements. It's an ideal that will never happen. I'm just saying the cut side is way roomier than just 1%, such that there should be no need to tax more at all.

The entitlements are what's mostly gotten us into this debt. That's a great place to start. Obamacare should be top on the list. Gut it.

Defense ripe for the picking as well. And I'm not talking about decreasing our ability. We need to let loose a guy like Jack Welsh on the Defense Department. We'd end up with a lot more defense for a lot less money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom