• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I watched it live. I think Chris Matthews got a tingle down his leg. Seriously, I switched to Msnbc from cspan when it was over. He was rather complementary.
    I'm watching it now. Donald is speaking in complete sentences and is fairly coherent. So far, I feel like he's helped himself substantially.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Policy question: how does a president reduce crime in everywhere without a national police force at his disposal?

That's not a matter of policy, it's a matter of leadership.

You don't send an angry mob after the only people who will keep the peace in their communities. You denounce them, not their protectors.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Policy question: how does a president reduce crime in everywhere without a national police force at his disposal?

Enact policies that are NOT designed to tear down job providers. The best deterrent to crime is prosperity. No nationalized police force needed for that.

That drops crime LEVELS.

And NOT pandering to self-described "victims" helps too. There ARE real "victims" out there. But making a constituency of them only makes the problem a lot worse. The Great Society of LBJ's day has come back to bite us in the rear. And LBJ can rot in Hades. Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just out of curiosity. Once that pledge was made, did everyone take it to mean regardless of the future circumstances the other candidates were bound by it? If Trump had said he planned to only recognize certain parts of the Constitution, and other candidates pulled their support, would you be upset with them because they broke their pledge?

Yes. Although my answer is an alternative you do not present.

It's better to not make a pledge at all then to make one and break it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So...14 million people voted for Trump?

That only leaves 305 million that didn't...

I'm not voting for Trump. The best I can do for you for "getting on board" is not cast a vote in the general at all...

If that doesn't make you happy...tough.

Of that 305 mill2, how many are eligible?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hey, anyone listen to any of Newt's speech? If I'm not mistaken (will have to google for a transcript), he specifically said that "we" are "losing" the war against "radical Islam."

I think that's BS and blatant fearmongering.

What says INGO?

Define winning vs losing and I will choose.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm watching it now. Donald is speaking in complete sentences and is fairly coherent. So far, I feel like he's helped himself substantially.

I think there's another layer to this whole Trump thing that I didn't see..

Maybe he's not necessarily running to help Clinton... but help the Democrat party.

Last night, he attacked Hillary on trade... from the Left. Maybe he's fooling people into supporting Democrat policy, while running on them as a "Republican".

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter. Both nominees are essentially Democrats... Hillary just a bit further left than Trump. Just find the entire 2016 election to be interesting to evaluate... seeing how many people a single person can fool, and how corrupt the other person can be. It's a real bad year for honesty.

Further... really wish the simple-minded leftists would stop comparing Trump to Hitler. He's far closer to Putin if we're comparing him to dictators. Like... really close.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Watched the 1st half of his speech last night.
    Not sure any one man can take on the entire planet and effect the changes he promises to make happen.
    Does he mean it.....:dunno:

Do we believe "Anything" that Billery" spews.......I do not.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Last night, he attacked Hillary on trade... from the Left. Maybe he's fooling people into supporting Democrat policy, while running on them as a "Republican".
    He was trying to get the Bernie voters to move his way. Saying that BS' one major issue was trade. Somehow I don't think that was the BS voters major issue though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not up to your usual standards

You're reaching :)

Bug, calm down. It was a joke.

Isn't Cruz still a sitting senator?

Dont you think he still has legs there?

He does, he should, but I read that Trump operatives are now seeking a candidate to "primary" Cruz. So, you don't support Trump, you lose your seat. That's just New York politics I guess.

Just out of curiosity. Once that pledge was made, did everyone take it to mean regardless of the future circumstances the other candidates were bound by it? If Trump had said he planned to only recognize certain parts of the Constitution, and other candidates pulled their support, would you be upset with them because they broke their pledge?

Yes. Although my answer is an alternative you do not present.

It's better to not make a pledge at all then to make one and break it.

Here's the pledge:

I (name) affirm that if I do not win the 2016 Republican nomination for president of the United States I will endorse the 2016 Republican presidential nominee regardless of who it is. I further pledge that I will not seek to run as an independent or write-in candidate nor will I seek or accept the nomination for president of any other party.

I think there's some wiggle room. It says no matter who it is, not no matter what he or she does. After what Trump did--and I'm not excusing some of the tricks Cruz pulled--I don't think that indicts Cruz' character that he didn't endorse Trump. We don't have to go there to find things that indict his character.

Define winning vs losing and I will choose.

I define it in the most practical sense. What impact does ISIS have on the world. If it is worse, and I think events shows it is, then we're losing.

I think there's another layer to this whole Trump thing that I didn't see..

Maybe he's not necessarily running to help Clinton... but help the Democrat party.

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter. Both nominees are essentially Democrats... Hillary just a bit further left than Trump. Just find the entire 2016 election to be interesting to evaluate... seeing how many people a single person can fool, and how corrupt the other person can be. It's a real bad year for honesty.

Further... really wish the simple-minded leftists would stop comparing Trump to Hitler. He's far closer to Putin if we're comparing him to dictators. Like... really close.

I had this vary same thought as I listened to Ivanka's speech. In the end, the trick is still to try to predict the best outcome and vote for that. 9.32573 compared to 9.98372645 on the scale of bad, as ****ty as it is, is still the best outcome available.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Cruz should have done everyone a favor and stayed home.

You have to move to the center to win the general.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Last night was the death knell of the social conservative wing of the Republican party.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cruz should have done everyone a favor and stayed home.

You have to move to the center to win the general.

If there's an indictment in the whole Cruz thing, it's that. I don't care that he didn't want to endorse Trump. He has a good reason not to. But just stay away if you can't support him.

About the center, I think Trump is where he is. The big move for him happened at the beginning of the campaign.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Last night was the death knell of the social conservative wing of the Republican party.

From the stand point of trying to legislate federal government solutions, it should have been a long time ago. However if there's to be a movement that keeps the "socially liberal" fascists from now legislating their version of morality on everyone (and reversing much of what they have been successful in doing), the social conservatives should realign their priorities towards Constitutional conservatives. Both socially liberal and socially conservative, you'd think could agree that the best course of action would be making the federal government so small and so feckless that neither side has to worry about what the other is up to and go about living their lives.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    RE: Trumps commitment to literally end crime. Like a superhero.

The Republican Candidate for President of the United States said:
    I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored.

So, that's the promise.

By sending them all the correct tools they need and by ending all the GFZs.

What tools? Ask some of the LEOs on INGO what "tools" they need. I'm not sure what the response will be, but "tools" aplenty are available.

Do you really think Trump will end federally-based GFZs? Where has he ever proposed that?

Encouraging vigilantism?
    Hmmm... maybe.

He HAS a national police force at his proposal. It's called the FBI, ATF, DEA, IRS, et. al.
    Yes. Do any of us want more ATF/DEA/IRS agents in our communities?

Not encourage *******s to kill police officers and commit other lawlessness?
    Well, that'll help with a relatively narrow set of crime against police officers, but the promise was broader than that. Safety everywhere.

Is there a link to Trump's convention speech up yet? I was busy when it was live.
    Full text: Donald Trump 2016 RNC draft speech transcript - POLITICO

Not sure if this was as submitted or as delivered.

That's not a matter of policy, it's a matter of leadership.
    Not really, not at the POTUS level. That's like saying Obama is responsible for shootings in Indianapolis. I'm open to the argument, but extremely doubtful.

You don't send an angry mob after the only people who will keep the peace in their communities. You denounce them, not their protectors.
    Ok. As a matter of policy, I have no problem with that. But, that's not what he said. And, do you really think the people doing these things will be swayed not to do them by denunciation by POTUS? Let alone an old white rich POTUS?

Enact policies that are NOT designed to tear down job providers. The best deterrent to crime is prosperity. No nationalized police force needed for that.

That drops crime LEVELS.
    I generally agree with that. But, there is a certain segment of the criminal community that will not have access to prosperity and will continue their criminality. That's just reality. Trump promised to get rid of them, too.

And NOT pandering to self-described "victims" helps too. There ARE real "victims" out there. But making a constituency of them only makes the problem a lot worse. The Great Society of LBJ's day has come back to bite us in the rear. And LBJ can rot in Hades. Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

Actually, his speech reminded me of LBJ's inauguration speech.

By not using the DOJ against local PDs for political expediency.
    The DOJ is only involved in what - maybe a dozen, couple dozen local PDs? (I really don't know.) Certainly not everywhere. What's he going to do about crime in those other places?

My concern is that he's going to grow the DOJ to do MORE direct policing.

Probably, but it was really a formality.

So do they stay home? I read that 4 million evangelicals stayed home rather than vote for Romney.

Probably, along with the fiscal conservatives. But, there'll be a bunch of liberals probably crossing over, so maybe it'll net out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom