• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Updates from Spain! He is in Aguilas and is loving it!

Here is a map of the area. He is about a 5 minute walk from the ocean.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1753496,-1.8812905,8.63z

He is staying at a residence that used to belong to an artist and is loving the workspace. His only expense while staying here is for his food. He has been doing some mechanical work on equipment in exchange for his room and board, and will be doing a large mural on an exterior wall.

This is his current workspace/living quarters.

tVztI2A.jpg

utPJHq1.jpg

A drawing....

M2P3G1y.jpg

And a new technique. He has not done this before so I am pretty impressed with his first two projects!

The image is carved into a piece of linoleum and then the carving is used as a negative to make a print....similar to the old glass negative plates used by photographers before film was used.

The first is from a photo he took early in his trip of a homeless man and his dog...one of my favorite pictures from his trip.

The beginning of making the carving...

MLOy99v.jpg

Some of the pieces carved out of the image and the image to the left in the photo.

a5fu2cD.jpg

The completed "negative"

7IqPk82.jpg

And the print.

EiMzdmz.jpg

He asked if I had any pictures I would like him to do so I requested a print of my favorite cat that I had to put to sleep last year.

I gave him a few photos to pick from and this was the one he chose and the print he made using this technique.

SUwoReP.jpg

U0Aford.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's some great work!
    Thanks for sharing Mom.

The weather must be pretty nice there too.

Some topless beaches there, well it's just called a beach there ... maybe he could find some models there. :whistle:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we were chatting yesterday, he said it was 70. He was exploring some caves already, and the guy that is the caretaker or whatever where he is staying does some diving so he wants to learn that as well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I haven't updated for a bit so here's the latest.

Before leaving Spain to return to Belgrade May1st, my son completed this mural on a wall on the roof of the building where he stayed.

oIstTy6.jpg

Ciu7wXR.jpg

TW2J6vz.jpg

He also did a couple more Linocuts (as described above) and made some prints (which he also has for sale on his FB page/web site).

sZPFFVr.jpg

LoEeeDn.jpg

When he got back to Belgrade, he had a couple of commissioned murals to do at a new brewery. The owner also has two other businesses so the first mural was done as a way to get his name out...the second was a paid job.

This is the first one.

rWiqFDf.jpg

This shows the size....approximately 13 feet high and 18 feet wide.

8xbHxn4.jpg

WxnrjLf.jpg

This is the paid painting. He said it was rather challenging painting something this large on the old bricks.

EL9LQBW.jpg

And the finished wall...for now. More artwork will be added later in the fall. The owner plans to invite other artists to also display some of their work. The owners were very pleased with the finished paintings and are apparently getting lots of questions about him and referring others to him that may want some artwork done for their businesses.

With those jobs completed, he left yesterday and arrived in Istanbul, Turkey last night.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Very cool Mom! :yesway:

Those murals should be there for many years especially if they are on private property.

All of these are. He will be returning to Spain later in the year as he hopes to spend much of the winter there since it is a warmer area. He has more projects lined up for when he returns.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh boy! I bet the Turkish girl is back in the picture Mom! :faint:

Hopefully his tent is high enough to not be awaken by the high tide.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Current location....camping in Turkey - Beldibi

I'll say this... that kid has got the independent gene in abundance.

It has to be great for you to have him experiencing so much of the world, and a little bit nerve racking at the same time.

He's got more gumption than I ever had for adventure.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Oh boy! I bet the Turkish girl is back in the picture Mom! :faint:

Hopefully his tent is high enough to not be awaken by the high tide.

She is. I'm not sure if she is camping with him, but he has met her parents. He called me when he first got there and asked me to share some of my dad's photos with him. Apparently, her dad is a photographer and wanted to see some of my dad's work. My son comes by his artistic talents naturally...just skipped a generation! LOL!

I'll say this... that kid has got the independent gene in abundance.

It has to be great for you to have him experiencing so much of the world, and a little bit nerve racking at the same time.

He's got more gumption than I ever had for adventure.

I actually worry less about him now than I did when he lived in Indy. He was on 12th street west of Keystone in a rather "interesting" neighborhood before he went on this trip.

I have always been pretty independent, but not as adventurous as him. I definitely raised my kids to do what they believe in and he took that way farther than I ever expected.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    He called home today for my husband's birthday and they talked for about an hour.

This is the "Turkish girl" in her stylish hat...apparently, they found these chairs just sitting along the road and took a break there. Turkey must be a friendly place! :laugh:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am behind on my updates! He listed some measurements of these paintings in feet and others in meters...I didn't feel like doing the conversion. :):

Here are a couple of pictures from Itanbul.

L9N4EoU.jpg

QpLPG8i.jpg

A9zj8tK.jpg

From there, he went back to Belgrade and completed this painting while participating in an art festival. This measures 4 meters x 5 meters. The photo of him with his "Turkish girl/assistant" gives an idea of the overall size. He is a bit over 6 foot tall.

IuQj1xA.jpg

TmdP7pB.jpg

Next stop was Sarajevo. This one measures 11.8 ft x 8.5 ft.

tsftFhK.jpg

IvvzgTM.jpg

And then on to another art festival in Opuzen, Croatia where he completed this mural...6.2 meters x 6 meters.

eQ2IBCG.jpg

He is getting a lot of interest in his work and may be heading back to Turkey to do some painting there in September. It is good to see him developing followers who are willing to pay for his talent!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's some amazing work Mom.Thanks for sharing with us!

It took me a second to notice that this girl on the scaffolding wasn't part of the painting. :):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's some amazing work Mom.Thanks for sharing with us!

It took me a second to notice that this girl on the scaffolding wasn't part of the painting. :):

I'm glad it wasn't just me that had that problem! She blends right in!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This should be done today or tomorrow as he shared this with me last night. The person who hired him asked him to use his own image in the painting....love the pinky finger where he is holding the cup! He is still in Sarajevo.

He said that there was a guy who traveled there to see his work on the recommendation of the owner of the business where he did the last painting. This guy owns a cafe and hotel in Dubai and wants to hire him to do some paintings there so a contract is being drawn up. He is currently booked until October so this would be next in line I guess.

I told him he needs a haircut...LOL This painting is approximately 8 foot tall.

Nqqqtm8.jpg

Top Bottom