Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Adherents can assert that they have x 'friends' on facebook and/or y 'followers' on twitter. Ergo their life has (proportional) meaning and their self-esteem is justified.

How'd I do? Close?

Not completely wrong, though. For some people, it is about the self-esteem and follower count.

W4LC2Gq.png

That would be the same Kurt Schlichter who earlier penned this:

President Trump: Taking The Donald Seriously - Kurt Schlichter - Page 1

Any comment on the link that I posted, though?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have always considered twitter to be an instrument to magnify self importance, a kind of eParticipationTrophy for millenials, much like facebook.

Adherents can assert that they have x 'friends' on facebook and/or y 'followers' on twitter. Ergo their life has (proportional) meaning and their self-esteem is justified.

How'd I do? Close?

I got a twitter account a few years back and honestly could never figure out the real purpose of it.
    Facebook is something else. I am on it quite a bit. I find it a good way to keep in contact with my family back in Kentucky. I get to deluge them with pictures of my grandkids and they do the same. it is also a good way to keep up with their health issues and vice versa. I have managed to accumulate some of the folks from here or that used to be and aren't any longer. I don't collect friends and honestly don't know how many I have on my list, maybe a hundred.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the case can be made for Cruz voters being more likely to go Trump. What if Trump finds the handle on Cruz and gets him to drop out (chief justice Ted Cruz?). That could seal the deal, and he wouldn't be a bad choice for SCOTUS either

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not completely wrong, though. For some people, it is about the self-esteem and follower count.

Any comment on the link that I posted, though?

I really think that would set the stage to perhaps win the battle but lose the war. It would be seen as exactly the kind of back room machinations to thwart the people that have them so angry in the first place. I think it would release such levels of venom and animosity that no one could put together a working coalition to have any chance of winning the general. It would be the end of the GOP in its current form, perhaps its end altogether.

I am a Trump supporter but I like to think I'm a realist. I would vote for Robio if it came to that because the alternative is so much worse. But I think trying to convince even a majority of the Trump supporters, let alone most of them, would be a tough sell. If Rubio becomes seen as to obvious a creature of the donor class, a kind of Jeb! lite, I think he will lose support and not make compensatory gains. i think the smartest thing the establishment could do, having let things go this far, is to let it play out. They should be thinking about how to win the general with [eventual nominee] no matter who that is

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Donald Trump Is Acting Like He Knows He's Not Going To Be The Nominee
    and until Carson decides the ratio of book sales versus the destruction of his reputation has gone negative

I've had tremendous respect for Dr Carson for several years. But I have to say I've lost most of it. Either he is in it for the book sales, or he things God wants him to keep going and will pull out some miracle.

I think its likely they're scared he CAN beat Hitlery

WHAT? Really?

Nevermind. It was obviously sarcasm.

Lucky for you, we have some of his supporters here. Ask them, and we'll find out

I think that's not gonna do it.

If Carson pulls out, I think it is hard to say where his supporters would go. Are they anti-establishment types that would go to Trump? Are they religious people that simply couldn't support Trump? I think Kasich's people would go to Rubio. Cruz voters... not sure. We are anti establishment but are concerned about Trump for many reasons. But who knows how many.

If Trump gets the nomination, I don't think the 60% group that don't like Trump are all going to stay home in general. How many non Republicans will vote for Trump, they say quite a few.

We are in some unchartered waters.

Looking at the historical trends on the polls, you can superimpose Carson's downward trends and line up the slopes of the trends for other candidates. There was a big exodus of support after the terrorism in France and San Bernardino. It looked to me like that support went mostly to Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, and Bush, probably in that order. I'm not sure a lot of Carson voters will go with Trump. If Kasich stayed in, I think he might get a good chunk. But Cruz and Rubio would be the primary recipients.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Or were you alluding to the David Duke 'endorsement'. I wouldn't take that seriously unless and until Trump accepted the 'endorsement'

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the case can be made for Cruz voters being more likely to go Trump. What if Trump finds the handle on Cruz and gets him to drop out (chief justice Ted Cruz?). That could seal the deal, and he wouldn't be a bad choice for SCOTUS either

Aside from that position already being occupied by a youngish Chief Justice already (not that I like Roberts but the position is already filled), no, that wouldn't seal the deal. First, I don't really like Cruz. I think he comes off as a smarmy *******. I think he is very manipulative. Also, he is second only to Donald Trump in Republicans' disliking him. My own dislike of Cruz notwithstanding, I'd certainly rank him pretty far above Donald Trump. Trump promising to appoint him to SCOTUS wouldn't seal that deal ever. The only way I'll vote for Trump is if he wins the nomination. And if that happens I'm going to dread marking my ballot for a clown. Yes, I'd vote for a clown over Sanders or Clinton.

But because of our ****ed up electoral system, I'll more than likely get stuck having to vote for Trump, which 65% of republicans don't want, and 50% think is a joke.

Btw, this...
    ...trying to convince even a majority of the Trump supporters, let alone most of them, would be a tough sell.

...makes me question this in terms of Trump supporters generally:
    I am a Trump supporter but I like to think I'm a realist.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got a twitter account a few years back and honestly could never figure out the real purpose of it.
    Facebook is something else. I am on it quite a bit. I find it a good way to keep in contact with my family back in Kentucky. I get to deluge them with pictures of my grandkids and they do the same. it is also a good way to keep up with their health issues and vice versa. I have managed to accumulate some of the folks from here or that used to be and aren't any longer. I don't collect friends and honestly don't know how many I have on my list, maybe a hundred.

Me too. I've never counted the number of friends on my list, in fact, any more, I probably decline more friend requests than I accept.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well I think if Trump flames out on his own many of his supporters will look around and pick another candidate that they can stomach. If the party establishment and the donor class go all 'ides of march' on him it will be dropping a match into the powder magazine.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Going to try something different. Posting about policy. Actual politics. Candidates and what they're doing/running for, and a bit less about reality TV stars... because that's all the media is right now.

Jindal: More voters realizing Trump not conservative - CNN Video

Rubio picks up Tennessee endorsement from Bill Haslam.

Ted Cruz Fights in Texas, Hoping It Won’t Be His Alamo

Really? It looks like more Trump bashing and BS propaganda from you? Do you ever sleep? I think you must be the guy that Cruz hired to create all the BS photo shop campaign ads. I'll vote for whomever can beat Hillary & Bernie. Trump is not my first choice but what you should be realizing is that he is pulling moderate votes away from the Democrats. Bernie was courting a lot of those undecided voters until Trump started steamrolling and getting those undecided people and in the end that will be good for Republicans regardless of whether it's Trump, Rubio, or Cruz.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Looking at the historical trends on the polls, you can superimpose Carson's downward trends and line up the slopes of the trends for other candidates. There was a big exodus of support after the terrorism in France and San Bernardino. It looked to me like that support went mostly to Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, and Bush, probably in that order. I'm not sure a lot of Carson voters will go with Trump. If Kasich stayed in, I think he might get a good chunk. But Cruz and Rubio would be the primary recipients.
    That was why I mentioned the religious part in regard to Carson. I agree with you that I would be doubtful that many would go to Trump. Not just because I think they might be a fairly religious group but also people that admire his sense of humility. Obviously not a strong trait of the Donald. Kasich has a little more of that latter quality than the others I think. He also made that comment though about not being one to wear his faith on his sleeve. Different people might take that different ways.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rubio comes out swinging, nails Trump on his illegal worker situation.

Trump yelling about "yeah but I hired people, you didn't"

ok

Edit: And now Cruz going after Trump on immigration as well. This is pretty solid strategy from Rubio and Cruz.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom