Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Or, they're so enamored with their current snake oil salesman they only see the other snake oil salesman's faults. They're both snake oil salesmen. The biggest difference is they're selling oil from different snakes.

I have no delusions about who Trump is.

As I've maintained all along: if Scott Walker had been a viable candidate, he'd be getting my vote.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If America doesn't elect a President who knows and gives a damn about the Constitution, then it's game, set, match. And welcome in a new era of progress.

I'm not sure America knows enough about the Constitution to know what giving a damn about it would look like.

I'm pretty sure you're on to it here. Just look at some of the responses on just about anything on INGO as an example. Even here, where there is fervent support of the 2A, one would tend to believe this might indicate support for the rest of the Constitution as well...but I'm often left scratching my head sometimes. I'd say Trump does represent the modern "conservative". I don't know if those people consider themselves conservatives any longer but I do know I don't consider myself a part of whatever group they want to call themselves.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    What does that make Trump?

And side-question to anyone:

Why have the INGO Trump supporters not acknowledged the "playing a part" thing? The con is real. Are we just ignoring it?

I can remember Trump as far back as the early eighties, and as far as I can tell his persona is exactly the same.

Cruz on the other hand changed from fiery constitutionalists, to soft spoken evangelical preacher overnight. It turned me off like a switch; before the race started, it was between Cruz and Paul, but after the politically motivated transformation Cruz was out for me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Utter and complete nonsensical spin. (I suppose we're safe from the apocalypse for at least another day. :) )

Trump gained over 600K votes, 100-150 delegates, and won five states by 55-65%, exceeding the polling.

Kasich gained under 250K votes, and 10 delegates.

Indiana is no longer a "must-win" for Trump. NJ, CA, and WV should be more than enough to push him over 1237. Indiana will just be icing on the cake.

Trump may well end up in the 1300-1400 delegate range.

I think people are seeing the inevitability of Trump. I wouldn't count that as conceding than embracing. At least that's how I'm looking at Trump.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And you can't be so naive that you think Trump, who has been a Democrat and supported Democrats the majority of his life cares about the Constitution. He has flipped on almost every single position but still people vote for the man? I used to think the Republicans did not have the naive and uniformed voters that got Obama elected but seeing Trump get thses votes makes me realize that the Republican voters are the same.

I have no delusions about who Trump is. But the assertion that Trump has been a Democrat his whole life is simply false. Trump has been a Republican since at least 1980.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you're on to it here. Just look at some of the responses on just about anything on INGO as an example. Even here, where there is fervent support of the 2A, one would tend to believe this might indicate support for the rest of the Constitution as well...but I'm often left scratching my head sometimes. I'd say Trump does represent the modern "conservative". I don't know if those people consider themselves conservatives any longer but I do know I don't consider myself a part of whatever group they want to call themselves.

Last election the Republicans lost because they nominated a Northeast liberal that flipflopped on his positions to get elected, thai year the Republican voters are electing a Northeast liberal that has flipflopped on his positions. Go figure.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Or, maybe there are more and more conservatives who are getting politically savvy enough to see through snake oil salesmen like Ted Cruz, who wields support for the constitution the same way he brandishes the Bible.

You and I disagree vehemently on this. There's nothing I can say, none of the Trumped up accusations I could swat down, that will change your mind on this. I see it completely different. I see Trump as another less than honest democrat running on the GOP ticket. Your defenses of him indicate you don't.

So be it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Last election the Republicans lost because they nominated a Northeast liberal that flipflopped on his positions to get elected, thai year the Republican voters are electing a Northeast liberal that has flipflopped on his positions. Go figure.

We deserve the government we elect. The next 4-8 years will either be me saying I told you so or eating crow. I'm betting crow will not be on my plate though. :D

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I think a lot of conservative voters Wil be sitting out the election this year again as the Northeast liberal states just elected their Republican candidate. I won't pull the lever for another liberal Republican like I have in the past.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You and I disagree vehemently on this. There's nothing I can say, none of the Trumped up accusations I could swat down, that will change your mind on this. I see it completely different. I see Trump as another less than honest democrat running on the GOP ticket. Your defenses of him indicate you don't.

So be it.

I appreciate that there are people here who can recognize that we see things differently, and civilly accept that we disagree, without conflating that disagreement with an intellectual or moral failing.

This (election), too, shall pass.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think a lot of conservative voters Wil be sitting out the election this year again as the Northeast liberal states just elected their Republican candidate. I won't pull the lever for another liberal Republican like I have in the past.

So you're okay with sitting out and facilitating the potential election of Hilary Clinton?

It is people like that who allowed the election and re-election of Barack Obama. And I blame such people for everything he has wrought.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    So you're okay with sitting out and facilitating the potential election of Hilary Clinton?

It is people like that who allowed the election and re-election of Barack Obama. And I blame such people for everything he has wrought.

I won't be voting for a Democrat just because he has an R by his name this election. I did vote for the liberal R in years past but we still got Obama.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I won't. I won't vote for the democrat or libertarian offerings and I may not vote for the republican offering. But I will vote in most if not all of the other races. And I might just write in a vote for president if none of the given offerings are palatable to me.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    And you can't be so naive that you think Trump, who has been a Democrat and supported Democrats the majority of his life cares about the Constitution. He has flipped on almost every single position but still people vote for the man? I used to think the Republicans did not have the naive and uniformed voters that got Obama elected but seeing Trump get thses votes makes me realize that the Republican voters are the same.

This argument is so tired, the conservative golden boy Ronald Reagan was a Democrat until he was 50 years old. People's opinions and views can change, just like my view of Cruz; I used to be a huge Cruz fanboy, but his current soft spoken evangelical preacher act has totally turned me off.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are also those of us who recognize that the GOP will never willingly allow a true conservative to be nominated, and the best that we may be able to do is to subvert the corrupt control of the party leadership, so that the people even have a chance of nominating a true conservative.

I can respect that. And we can agree to disagree on how effective is your strategy. Seems we've been down this road before though. I just hope you're not "fiercely loyal" as you seem sometimes.

Me neither. Like the Trumpers I guess I feel like an "angry white voter" too sometimes. But I don't believe supporting Trump will do what they think it will do and I can't be fiercely loyal to a candidate like they are to Trump. I want to extend my middle finger to the establishment too, but a rude liberal New York mogul playing the part of a middle finger isn't what I had in mind.

What does that make Trump?

And side-question to anyone:

Why have the INGO Trump supporters not acknowledged the "playing a part" thing? The con is real. Are we just ignoring it?

Anyone? No? We can't get no play here? C'mon. Someone.

I can remember Trump as far back as the early eighties, and as far as I can tell his persona is exactly the same.

Cruz on the other hand changed from fiery constitutionalists, to soft spoken evangelical preacher overnight. It turned me off like a switch; before the race started, it was between Cruz and Paul, but after the politically motivated transformation Cruz was out for me.

I've disliked Cruz since before he shut down the government. It all seemed like a ploy. There just seems to be a feigned genuineness to him. I think I called it then and I think I called it for Trump back in July. Both are snake oil salesmen pretending to be what we want them to be.

However, I do think Cruz would likely nominate a more Scalia-like SCOTUS justice than Trump. I mean, Trump did say he would nominate his liberal sister.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I won't. I won't vote for the democrat or libertarian offerings and I may not vote for the republican offering. But I will vote in most if not all of the other races. And I might just write in a vote for president if none of the given offerings are palatable to me.

I may vote libertarian, I just can't vote for another progressive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I won't be voting for a Democrat just because he has an R by his name this election. I did vote for the liberal R in years past but we still got Obama.

It's often lamented there is no difference between a republican and a democrat...with many of us, Trump blurs that line completely. Some of us will not vote for a fraud.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I may vote libertarian, I just can't vote for another progressive.

The libertarians are progressive as well. Not my cup of tea though, according to that on-line test, I agree with them 89-94% of the time. I'm not voting for a pro-abortion, pro-illegal immigration, silence on religious liberty party.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Huh? We should feel free to vote our consciences. The people who could not vote for Romney and therefore stayed home, and the people who voted third party, did not vote for Obama. They voted according to their conscience, which every person has a duty to do.

The people whose conscience convinced them to vote for Obama, I blame them. And the people who voted for Obama because of white guilt and now have buyer's remorse. I especially blame them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom