Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I cannot buy the argument that Christians are being persecuted in this country. Maybe by bloggers but certainly in no meaningful way. It seems to me that a lot of them think the 1st amendment extends beyond what it really protects. And the supposed small government conservatives need big government to push their morality agenda, go figure.

There is a difference between having rights infringed and persecution. I reserve the latter for truly punitive measures enacted by the State, such as fines, imprisonment, death, etc. There are many instances of rights being infringed, that I would not raise to the level of persecution. That said, there have been some very high-profile instances of actual persecution, including ruinous fines for a business that chose not to enter into a contractual relationship to bake cupcakes for a gay wedding, because of sincerely held religious beliefs.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Donald Trump Secures Commanding Lead of Unbound Delegates in Pennsylvania - ABC News

Donald Trump has won a vast majority of the unbound delegate count in the state of Pennsylvania, according to an ABC News analysis. Of the 54 available free-agent delegates in the state, 39 of them told ABC News they will support Trump on the first ballot of the Republican convention.

Twenty-three said they will support the Republican front-runner, while 16 additional delegates -- who said they would vote for the winner of their congressional district on the first ballot -- will also back Trump.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's in the party's platform...at least the first two. The last one is based on my observations in the apparent lack of comment by those that cheered at the SCOTUS inventing a Constitutional right out of thin air with Oberfell last year (?) and now that people are being forced to act in contrary to their deeply held beliefs...crickets.

Nope. Not the party for me.

I think the SCOTUS got the Oberfell decision wrong. Not for the same reasons as you though. People working in a government capacity don't have the right to impose their authority by enforcing their religious views. But we went back and forth on that back then I won't try to rehash it here. I oppose the SCOTUS decision because I think it was progressive for the sake of progression. It sets no limits on what can be a protected class. I think those questions were asked but not effectively answered during arguments.

I won't join a political party unless it is for pragmatic reasons. I do think the L party is lead by too many progressive libertarians, but I don't think libertarianism is inherently progressive as we define "progressive" today.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Trump passes Romney?s popular vote total, likely to break GOP record - POLITICO

With his five blowout wins Tuesday night, Donald Trump has passed Mitt Romney’s popular vote total from four years ago and is on a trajectory that could land him more Republican votes than any presidential candidate in modern history – by a lot.

Trump surged to 9.9 million votes, according to totals that include Tuesday’s preliminary results across the northeast and could rise further as the final votes are counted. That’s already more than 100,000 more than Romney earned in the entire 2012 primary season and tens of thousands more than John McCain earnedin 2008.

Trump is certain to pass McCain’s total next week in Indiana, but more importantly, he’s positioned to easily pass the modern record-holder George W. Bush — who collected 10.8 million votes in 2000.

Note: Trump is actually over 10 million popular votes now.

That presents an uncomfortable reality for anti-Trump forces: they’re attempting to thwart the candidate who is likely to win more Republican primary votes than any GOP contender in at least the last 36 years, and maybe ever.

And that's going to be problematic. If Trump wins 35 states and shatters the Republican primary popular vote record, but does not earn the nomination outright, the party will be within its rights and rules to nominate someone else. But doing so will destroy the party.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Whatever the case, this has opened up the process going forward.
    If you can get there without the support of the media and entirety of 1 of the 2 major political parties the future looks bright for a better candidate.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If Trump wins 35 states and shatters the Republican primary popular vote record, but does not earn the nomination outright, the party will be within its rights and rules to nominate someone else. But doing so will destroy the party.

If Trump is the nominee, it will confirm that the (national) Republican Party is not the party for me. It will be worthy of destruction (philosophically speaking).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Truly, it is one of the least intuitive online tools I've ever seen. I've also seen other issues with it, too, but it is the best (basically only) tool that I've been able to find.

If you're using the national polling for the delegate count, I don't think that is appropriate. What RCP uses to fill in that field doesn't look like what is even reported on their own site. Their own rolling avg has Trump ~40, Cruz ~30, yet in that map, they have Trump ~23, Cruz ~6. Doesn't make any sense.

I use my own SWAG for the percentages, and it is closer.

This happens a lot with web tools. It's what happens when people who know a lot about the domain and little about intuitive web design, get to make the tool. It's generally better for web designers to learn the domain, and then design the tool. The worst is when accounts design GUIs. They really tend to suck most at it.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    There is a difference between having rights infringed and persecution. I reserve the latter for truly punitive measures enacted by the State, such as fines, imprisonment, death, etc. There are many instances of rights being infringed, that I would not raise to the level of persecution. That said, there have been some very high-profile instances of actual persecution, including ruinous fines for a business that chose not to enter into a contractual relationship to bake cupcakes for a gay wedding, because of sincerely held religious beliefs.

I myself don't know all of the facts behind the instances, but I think they mostly had to do with city ordinances being violated.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If Trump is the nominee, it will confirm that the (national) Republican Party is not the party for me. It will be worthy of destruction (philosophically speaking).

If it does get destroyed, I'd like to see a more "conservatarian" based party come up in its place. But really if anything blows up I would like it to be our voting system. A system that inherently makes political parties this influential is not productive for a free, self-governed society. I want a voting system that makes political parties matter much, much less, and one that doesn't effectively enforce a two-party system.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Careful, now; we're still trying to avoid the apocalypse. (I also agree that the national GOP needs to be philosophically destroyed, because it no longer respects, much less reflects, the grassroots of the party.)

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

This is a defining moment of the party, and it is changing. Some people will fall off the back to make room for others. I say it's about damn time.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think the SCOTUS got the Oberfell decision wrong. Not for the same reasons as you though. People working in a government capacity don't have the right to impose their authority by enforcing their religious views. But we went back and forth on that back then I won't try to rehash it here. I oppose the SCOTUS decision because I think it was progressive for the sake of progression. It sets no limits on what can be a protected class. I think those questions were asked but not effectively answered during arguments.

I won't join a political party unless it is for pragmatic reasons. I do think the L party is lead by too many progressive libertarians, but I don't think libertarianism is inherently progressive as we define "progressive" today.

So you think the Supreme Court got the decision right but for the wrong reasons? I oppose the state taking any part in marriage but I'm not sure I'd say the Supreme Court got the decision wrong because they didn't come to that same conclusion.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If abortion and illegal immigration are by far your biggest voting issues then there's the 10 percent you disagree with libertarians and good luck finding a party you fall better in line with.

Silence on religious liberty or not pro christian? Ted Cruz claims to be a 'religious liberties' crusader yet those liberties only seem to apply to the poor persecuted christian majority in this country.

Suit yourself. But I have a set of litmus tests on which I am pretty inflexible. Let your conscience be your guide and so will I.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If Trump is the nominee they will not have made the tent bigger, they will have picked up the tent poles and moved it to a different location. A lot of the people who were standing in that tent will be no longer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you think the Supreme Court got the decision right but for the wrong reasons? I oppose the state taking any part in marriage but I'm not sure I'd say the Supreme Court got the decision wrong because they didn't come to that same conclusion.

No. I'm saying they arrived at the wrong conclusion because they used the wrong process by which to decide. Their decision was progressive for the sake of progressing. In other words, they legislated from the bench.

Personally I agree that government should not be involved in marriage at all. "Marriage" is a religious construct. If we want government to have some mechanism to administer rights and privileges that are inherent to people living in common, such as rights of surviorship, common property, combined taxes, etcetera, we should make that construct a civil union. And the civil union should have nothing to do with the type of relationship. Civil unions can be married, they can be siblings, platonic friends, whatever relationship is not the business of government. If you want to be married in the eyes of your God then go to your church/synagogue/mosque/temple/alter/beachfront/whatever and abide by your religion's view of marriage.

But that's not the state of things and that desirable state of things is not a realistic goal we can achieve. So, within what is possible, let's not create a precedence for an unlimited progression of who or what can be defined as "married". I think that's what the scotus ruling did wrong.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The GOP has been attempting to push itself to the right for the last couple of decades. The Tea Party brought chaos. Religious fundamentalism as a requirement to be labeled a "conservative" further decimated the party. Hatred of Obama and a do nothing Congress. Is it any wonder you ended up with Trump? No one is "pure" enough for your standards, so you end up with a red-headed stepchild.

It would be funny except he might win the presidency.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If Trump is the nominee they will not have made the tent bigger, they will have picked up the tent poles and moved it to a different location. A lot of the people who were standing in that tent will be no longer.

It's a pretty good analogy. The idea of expanding the tent shouldn't be at the expense of current members. That said, there are some ideologies within the Republican party that are not compatible. But they're forced to live together because there are only two viable parties in which each ideology must be pigeonholed, and as incompatible as some diverse Republicans are, they are even more incompatible with Democrats.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom