• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Something about the phrase "cancelled elections" doesn't rub me right.

If the general population was left out of the process, no matter what the outcome was going to be... that feels a bit off.
    It is also a bit of a mis-labelling. According to this:

Colorado Republicans cancel presidential vote at 2016 caucus - The Denver Post
    (Which, BTW, originally ran last August.)

Republicans still will hold precinct caucus meetings in early 2016 to begin the process of selecting delegates for the national convention — but the 37 delegates are not pledged to any specific candidate.

They did have caucuses, where each precinct could decide who to select as a delegate to the state convention. Those delegates would then select who would go to the national convention. Their own policy of not honor-binding their national delegates was more important to them than a general/closed primary. If they had done that, then the delegates would have been honor-bound.

I can't say that it is an irrational choice. Unpopular, perhaps. Maybe even not very strategic. But, it does appear to be principled - avoiding honor-bound delegates.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It was not a caucus for regular voters. It was a caucus among delegates. Regular GOP voters in Colorado had absolutely no say whatsoever on who got delegates. Pro-Trump delegates were actively kicked out and replaced by the party leadership.

That's not quite true. Regular GOP voters did have a say. They could vote at the precinct caucus for the precinct delegates to go to the congressional caucus to elect the delegates going to the state caucus who elect the delegates for the national convention. All of which are made up of delegates from the local precincts.

So no they didn't have a straw poll for the candidate directly, they voted for delegates who were for the candidate they wanted. So basically how it was at the founding of our country.

Here?s what to expect from Colorado?s GOP caucuses | The Colorado Independent

I'd say what hurt Trump the most was his and his campaign's sheer incompetence along with Cruz's very strong grass roots support.

Something about the phrase "cancelled elections" doesn't rub me right.

If the general population was left out of the process, no matter what the outcome was going to be... that feels a bit off.

See above.

It is also a bit of a mis-labelling. According to this:

Colorado Republicans cancel presidential vote at 2016 caucus - The Denver Post
    (Which, BTW, originally ran last August.)

They did have caucuses, where each precinct could decide who to select as a delegate to the state convention. Those delegates would then select who would go to the national convention. Their own policy of not honor-binding their national delegates was more important to them than a general/closed primary. If they had done that, then the delegates would have been honor-bound.

I can't say that it is an irrational choice. Unpopular, perhaps. Maybe even not very strategic. But, it does appear to be principled - avoiding honor-bound delegates.

I agree.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gotcha. My question was based on some Trump supporters that I follow on twitter, and their reaction to Colorado.

Was mostly mobile, not convenient to dig into it much

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    That's not quite true. Regular GOP voters did have a say. They could vote at the precinct caucus for the precinct delegates to go to the congressional caucus to elect the delegates going to the state caucus who elect the delegates for the national convention. All of which are made up of delegates from the local precincts.

So no they didn't have a straw poll for the candidate directly, they voted for delegates who were for the candidate they wanted. So basically how it was at the founding of our country.

Here?s what to expect from Colorado?s GOP caucuses | The Colorado Independent

I'd say what hurt Trump the most was his and his campaign's sheer incompetence along with Cruz's very strong grass roots support.

Did you miss the part where Trump delegates were removed and replaced by the party leadership before the state convention happened? They can have whatever system they want but they effectively silenced delegates and are intentionally misrepresenting the will of the voters. That is not a characteristic of a representative republic. The CO GOP might as well be the USSR GOP.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Did you miss the part where Trump delegates were removed and replaced by the party leadership before the state convention happened? They can have whatever system they want but they effectively silenced delegates and are intentionally misrepresenting the will of the voters. That is not a characteristic of a representative republic. The CO GOP might as well be the USSR GOP.

I seen where you stated that, do you have a cite? Considering at least 7 of his delegates were there since they were selected as alternates, they couldn't have been too effective at removing them.

Did you miss these things from the articles I linked?
    Trump's campaign didn't put a visible paid staffer on the ground in Colorado until last week, when it hired Patrick Davis, a Colorado Springs political consultant, to organize national delegate candidates at the 7th Congressional District convention in Arvada. By then, Cruz had won the first six delegates.

The Trump campaign's list of preferred national delegates distributed at the state convention on Saturday was riddled with errors and misspellings that only further hurt its chances.

Trump skipped the state party convention, where Cruz gave a rousing speech that galvanized his supporters.

Powered at first by volunteer organizers, the Cruz campaign began working to win delegates months ago and amplified the efforts in January when it brought U.S. Rep. Ken Buck, R-Windsor, on board as state chairman.

Once again, Trump and his campaign's incompetence and cluelessness about how to run the ground game is what hurt him. And his response is typical Trump, whine like a little ***** and threaten to sue.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The GOP is not the government. The GOP is not a representative republic. It is a political party. Party members vote for party leaders, they choose their rules and bylaws, they determine their own official platform, they ultimately get to decide how they'll nominate their candidate for POTUS. I don't begrudge them when they do that. It's within their rights. What I don't like is that our system effectively gives the party bosses such a say in who runs for president.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That would be fantastic.

Just a straight up, online form. Kind of like assigning 401K investments!

"Put 50% in national defense, 25% to NASA and 25% for the National Park Service" or whatever people want.

How fast do you think SNAP, DOE and HUD would collapse in this scenario? Maybe 2.55 × 10^8 meters per second???

Yep. Especially since you would have to actually be paying taxes in order to check off. So a lot of fans of some directed spending wouldn't get a vote

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I seen where you stated that, do you have a cite? Considering at least 7 of his delegates were there since they were selected as alternates, they couldn't have been too effective at removing them.

Did you miss these things from the articles I linked?

Once again, Trump and his campaign's incompetence and cluelessness about how to run the ground game is what hurt him. And his response is typical Trump, whine like a little ***** and threaten to sue.

So what rule allows the state party to hold an election then appoint delegates that don't reflect the vote?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The GOP is not the government. The GOP is not a representative republic. It is a political party. Party members vote for party leaders, they choose their rules and bylaws, they determine their own official platform, they ultimately get to decide how they'll nominate their candidate for POTUS. I don't begrudge them when they do that. It's within their rights. What I don't like is that our system effectively gives the party bosses such a say in who runs for president.

I get that, but it is extremely hypocritical.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's like the AKC. You don't vote for best in show, you get to select the judges who vote for best in show. And Trump 'lacks the proper pedigree' say the arbiters of good breeding

Denied

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So what rule allows the state party to hold an election then appoint delegates that don't reflect the vote?

Where did they do that? Do you have a cite for that?

I'm going to guess that you don't have a cite for your earlier claim that his delegates were removed and replaced.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

No it didn't, see my quote above.

He attended his precinct caucus which he evidently thought was the county caucus per his facebook post. And thought he was elected to go onto the state convention. He never attended the county caucus and received no votes to go onto the state caucus.

Here is his facebook post. Notice the date, which is the date of the precinct caucus not the county caucus.
    https://www.facebook.com/larry.lindseyphd/posts/10205700148599430

Did Larry Lindsey not understand full caucus-assembly process?

So no, he was not removed and replaced because he was a Trump supporter, he was never selected due to his incompetence and cluelessness.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Interesting to note from that article, he used the sort of dirty trick against Rubio and Cruz that I bet to this day he swears Cruz used against Carson. Using obviously false information to sway caucus delegates...tsk-tsk.

His godly golden locks of moral purity would never allow him to stoop to such depths.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom