• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It will be settled by vote, if a candidate gets 1263 delegates before the convention they are it. If not there will be votes at the convention to determine who is it. Any delegates Trump gets in IN will be bound to him for how ever many votes per IN GOP rules, I think it's one but not sure. It doesn't matter if they love him or hate him, they are required to vote for him. After that they are free to vote for who they wish. Cruz has the much better teams working on that. Also on getting his delegates on the committees that are setting the rules for the convention, for instance in LA his delegates have 5 out of 6 committee seats, Rubio iirc has 1.

Yes, but my point is that the effort to stack the deck in the event of a failure for an outright first-round win is something I find highly objectionable. The Indiana GOP seems intent on demonstrating the the laws against marijuana have little to do with smoking weed and much more with denying us access to five-stranded hemp rope.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    As long as we have a first past the post system of voting, it will split and rejoin over and over again.

I thought we demo'ed the one of the favored "other methods" right here on INGO, the "Community of Liberty" - and it didn't give us anybody other than who's currently left in the race? (And that was back when the "other" choices were still left in the race).

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't been following politics this weekend. Someone want to summarize the Colorado situation?

Trump says there was no vote, no primary. How true is that?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, but my point is that the effort to stack the deck in the event of a failure for an outright first-round win is something I find highly objectionable. The Indiana GOP seems intent on demonstrating the the laws against marijuana have little to do with smoking weed and much more with denying us access to five-stranded hemp rope.

Why do you find it objectionable for them to attempt to stack the deck? That is half the delegate process and has been so for probably about as long as this has been a country. And if Kasich stays in and Romney doesn't change his suspended to an outright drop out, there won't be a first round win. Heck even if both of them did drop out, there probably wouldn't be a first round win. Due to the fact that in quite a few states the delegates remain bound even if their candidate drops. If there was it would most likely go to Trump unless Cruz kicks serious behind in the rest of the primaries/caucuses.

The delegate elections are handled a bit different than when this country was founded, but to the same effect. Back then, you didn't vote for your candidate of choice, you voted for your delegate of choice and hoped they voted in your or the countries best interest. A contested convention now is closer to what it originally was than what we have now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why do you find it objectionable for them to attempt to stack the deck? That is half the delegate process and has been so for probably about as long as this has been a country. And if Kasich stays in and Romney doesn't change his suspended to an outright drop out, there won't be a first round win. Heck even if both of them did drop out, there probably wouldn't be a first round win. Due to the fact that in quite a few states the delegates remain bound even if their candidate drops. If there was it would most likely go to Trump unless Cruz kicks serious behind in the rest of the primaries/caucuses.

The delegate elections are handled a bit different than when this country was founded, but to the same effect. Back then, you didn't vote for your candidate of choice, you voted for your delegate of choice and hoped they voted in your or the countries best interest. A contested convention now is closer to what it originally was than what we have now.

As I mentioned earlier, in the earlier days of the republic, the differences were over how to best further the well-being of the republic, not how to carve up the corpse for personal gain.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Haven't been following politics this weekend. Someone want to summarize the Colorado situation?

Trump says there was no vote, no primary. How true is that?

Colorado cancelled their primary last August due to rule changes at the 2012 national convention, they went to a caucus format.
    Colorado Republicans cancel presidential vote at 2016 caucus - The Denver Post
    Since Trump campaign didn't adapt, they got their butts kicked. No delegates, and only 7 alternate delegates if any of the original delegates have to drop out. They didn't have any paid staffers on the ground their until a week or so ago.
    Angry Donald Trump blasts Colorado GOP results as "totally unfair" - The Denver Post

As I mentioned earlier, in the earlier days of the republic, the differences were over how to best further the well-being of the republic, not how to carve up the corpse for personal gain.

6 of 1, half a dozen of another. Could it be that the IN GOP feels that a Cruz nomination would be best for the well-being of the Republic compared to a Trump nomination?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    6 of 1, half a dozen of another. Could it be that the IN GOP feels that a Cruz nomination would be best for the well-being of the Republic compared to a Trump nomination?

Those worthless MFSBs have demonstrated to my satisfaction that they don't give a flying f**k about anything other than taking orders from their owners.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    it be that the IN GOP feels that a Cruz nomination would be best for the well-being of the Republic compared to a Trump nomination?

Those worthless MFSBs have demonstrated to my satisfaction that they don't give a flying f**k about anything other than taking orders from their owners.

How ironic would it be if an INGOer or 2 were state delegates? :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are congratulations in order, T?

Without confirming or denying, Indiana state delegates are elected in the primary. Those end-of-ticket votes that no one really thinks about, full of local names that you half-recognize, are the state delegates and precinct committeemen.

The more you know. ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Without confirming or denying, Indiana state delegates are elected in the primary. Those end-of-ticket votes that no one really thinks about, full of local names that you half-recognize, are the state delegates and precinct committeemen.

The more you know. ;)

So.........I'm looking for the name "Lex"? :D

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Colorado cancelled their primary last August due to rule changes at the 2012 national convention, they went to a caucus format.
    Colorado Republicans cancel presidential vote at 2016 caucus - The Denver Post
    Since Trump campaign didn't adapt, they got their butts kicked. No delegates, and only 7 alternate delegates if any of the original delegates have to drop out. They didn't have any paid staffers on the ground their until a week or so ago.
    Angry Donald Trump blasts Colorado GOP results as "totally unfair" - The Denver Post

It was not a caucus for regular voters. It was a caucus among delegates. Regular GOP voters in Colorado had absolutely no say whatsoever on who got delegates. Pro-Trump delegates were actively kicked out and replaced by the party leadership.

CfuLAFMUEAARbdV.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Considering that Trump does well with actual votes and Cruz does well with caucuses and conventions that do not include any general vote, Cruz would do splendidly if the November election were decided over cigars and brandy rather than voting, irregularities notwithstanding.

I don't think it's the cigars and brandy. Caucuses are generally partisan. Closed. Trump tends to do better in open primaries where crossover voters help him. Cruz tends to do better in closed primaries where registered Republicans vote.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Something about the phrase "cancelled elections" doesn't rub me right.

If the general population was left out of the process, no matter what the outcome was going to be... that feels a bit off.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom