GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Trump being friends with the National Enquirer CEO is a "link" between Trump and this National Enquirer story?

That's the best you've got?

Did you read the article that GP and I posted? I realize this isn't sworn, vetted testimony, but it's at least indicative of a pattern of behavior, especially compared to complete conjecture that Cruz was illegally coordinating with a PAC.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright, let's stop with the tabloid distraction. If you guys want to discuss it or take it seriously, the "Trump" thread would be perfect. Or hell, make a whole new thread just for that.

Back to actual GOP race articles.

What A Two-Front War To Deny Trump The Nomination Could Look Like | FiveThirtyEight

Votes based on education levels, per candidate

CeaZXezXEAAjxUN.png:large

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Uh... no. :)

You haven't read who one of the women is, have you?

There's also the small matter of Katrina Pierson already having vehemently denied the allegations:

Trump aide's fury at '100% false' claim she was one of 'five women to have affair with Ted Cruz'  | Daily Mail Online

328D176A00000578-3509366-image-a-48_1458920383145.jpg

Liz Mair, a respected Republican strategist, used her Twitter to name Amanda Carpenter, a former spokeswoman for Trump who is now a CNN contributor, and a Trump spokeswoman, Katrina Pierson, who is also a former Cruz aide.

Both denied the claim robustly - but it lit a fire which Cruz then had to act to put out.

'Speaking for myself, the article is trash and 100 percent false,' Pierson told DailyMail.com.

Oh, and that "truly grassroots" Make America Awesome SuperPAC? It was founded by GOP strategist Liz Mair.

• In the story the women weren't named, but Republican strategist Liz Mair - who runs an anti-Trump super PAC - identified them on Twitter
    • Mair's super PAC was the one which published picture of Melania Trump and said: 'Or you could vote for Ted Cruz.'

Republican strategist Liz Mair - whose super PAC Make America Awesome produced a controversial nude Melania Trump ad - outed Trump spokeswoman Katrina Pierson as one of the five women the National Enquirer suggested slept with Ted Cruz after Twitter users started identifying her

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Katrina Pierson. What's your point? How does that prove that Trump had the National Enquirer run this story?

It is about links, correct?

No identifiable links between MAA PAC and Cruz.

One degree of separation (Ms. Pierson) between Trump and this story.

ETA:

OOops, crossed pages.

Liz Mair's link to Cruz is where? A dude is the treasurer. Doesn't mean she didn't co-found it, just that I don't see where she gave (any) money.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My guess is that they were a bit interchangeable. One was going to drop out pretty soon, but which one?

Also, this chart doesn't surprise me one bit.

Except that, by and large, "Candidate X" votes have not gone 100% to "Candidate Y" after "Candidate X" has dropped out. In every instance, Trump has pulled a non-trivial amount of "Candidate X" voters. So, there is no basis to assume that Kasich and Rubio voters are interchangeable.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wait. I thought specious allegations that another candidate is responsible for a "hit" was verboten?

https://www.facebook.com/tedcruzpage/posts/10153999687717464

Ted Cruz blames Trump for the National Enquirer article:

I just want to make sure I understand Cruz logic: Trump blaming Cruz for a SuperPACs attack ad on Melania Trump is bad, but Cruz blaming Trump for a tabloid running an attack article on Cruz is acceptable.

Interestingly enough, on this very subject I was researching whether Cruz ever said that families should be off limits after the MAA ad or if he only responded to the activity relative to Heidi.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ump-and-ted-cruz-bickering-about-their-wives/

I can't find an actual story/clip of Cruz saying family should be off limits. There are links to his SPOX saying he had done so but not turning up much direct evidence. Also from the referenced source

"Ahead of the Utah Republican caucuses, the anti-trump super PAC Make America Awesome targeted Mormon voters with a series of Facebook ads, including one that features a seemingly nude photo of Trump's wife, Melania, during a modeling shoot for GQ magazine more than 15 years ago. On the photo is this message: "Meet Melania Trump, your next first lady. Or, you could support Ted Cruz on Tuesday."

A lot of folks are making much of how it's not a Cruz PAC it's an anti-Trump PAC but if that message quote is correct I will have to call BS on that. I don't do Facebook so I can't look at the original ad if it was available.

I will grant that Cruz angrily defending his wife is understandable, I just don't understand why they thought Trump would feel any different about the attack on his wife. Like you said Trump being skeptical of Cruz having nothing to do with the MAA ad is crazy talk, but the Enquirer running an unflattering story is somehow Trump using his connections to cause it to happen.

I'm sure Trump can no more control what the Enquirer prints than Ted can control that superPAC

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom